2013 Highlight Video - It Is Finished.

Landlord

If you want to have this thread available whenever you want it, go to the top of this thread and click the "Follow this topic" button. Then when you want to find it, click your profile button at the top of the page and in the window that pops open, click "Content I Follow."

That opens a list of all the threads you follow. Boom.

This is one of the best season highlight videos I've ever seen. My only observation was your use of light leaks in the UCLA segment seemed a bit overdone, but thats getting really nit-picky. Overall, 10/10 Would Watch Again.

Thanks for the input man :) and for the record, I agree with you. Always learning.

If you want to have this thread available whenever you want it, go to the top of this thread and click the "Follow this topic" button. Then when you want to find it, click your profile button at the top of the page and in the window that pops open, click "Content I Follow."

That opens a list of all the threads you follow. Boom.

I learn something new about this site all the time. I've been here for years but it wasn't until a few months ago I figured out the notifications. I never knew you could go right to where someone quoted you. None of that.

Excellent work Landlord +1 and appreciate being able to re-live the year game by game. Good times and not so good times but exceptional job on the editing and music!

Good point about the music. Good song selections and seemed well placed. I also liked the news bits and media about the storm surrounding the Iowa game and prior. Then the emergence and rise of the team in the bowl game. Ended on a real positive note.

• 1 month later...

So I was working on a video project and while putting 80 video clips into frame for a "collage" style intro video, I realized I forgot to share the input that I had for your video. This mostly my opinion mixed with some industry stuff that I believe will help, so no pressure to change anything really. Since there really isn't video you shot yourself (other than those couple of clips) most of this is going to be opinion thoughts versus technical stuff anyway. Although seeing your workflow might give me some ideas for pointers too. I understand you are still in the learning phases with some aspects as well so nothing personal meant. So here goes:

I totally get the angle of telling the season story but I think it was too long. Might just be me but I tend to always feel like I can do/show less and tell the story better.

I agree with the light leaks sentiment...sort of. I think it was only slightly overdone but mostly I would move their use to different locations. For instance, there were a couple of spots where the effect was used in the middle of a clip, which is often not a problem but in some of these cases it was distracting. So you could move them, or reduce opacity in key situations.

The opening 30s is awesome but I feel the transition was harsh to the title graphic, body of videos and next song. I felt like I wanted more of that song or a transition to keep that electronic hip hop vibe longer. Maybe don't do a fade out/in, try a hard cut on the first song on a hard drum hit with a similar in point on that rock song, if that makes sense.

You like that Family Force 5 groove eh? I dig it.

Look out for white text over white/yellow video setups as in your title graphic for legibility.

Work on your graphic effects to make them more dynamic. Something to give them dimension, movement, feeling, etc. Flat is very good for somethings but the logo sequences can use a bump in this regard. Maybe also adding the score more frequently to help set the stage better for certain plays.

Your song selections overall do well connecting to the video scenario and conveying the overall emotion. Although, I want a little more isolation of the moody songs to losses and upbeat songs to wins...unless there is a back story to why that game is sad even though a win in which you then need to give more context to that story. Separate the moods a little more. The only audio I am not sure about is the backing song for the Northwestern game hail mary, I feel like I want something less melodic and more "frantic" and dramatic that crescendos on the catch. You had it build nicely though with the crescendo (make a better cut/mix there though) on the catch. I felt like the moodiness of it worked well for the "after" parts though. Gives that relief feeling.

Obviously the games are the main attraction but I think you can use some more B-roll type video. On a big play you add in the radio calls well but could throw in some crowd shots showing the excitement or disappointment. You know, reaction type stuff. Another place to use them is in times of a meaningful game such as the UCLA game (the player death and the hype over black jerseys), homecoming and senior night. You sorta touch on it but I want a little more of that and a little less of the super short/choppy clips used as filler. You kinda front and back load these vid (and I don't blame you because it works for how you had the video laid out) but sprinkle more in throughout.

I am not a fan of the addition of the smoke on tackles and such...unless you have it as part of an overall theme of effects.

The addition of outside media sources like ESPN were used well.

I really like the timing of the SDSU sequence within the ending of the Switchfoot song.

You have some really good segments but I think you can do a bit more with timing...timing key song moments with key game moments. Sorta like you do at 11:25 to 11:30 mark. You don't have to do it every time but I think you could have utilized those moments a bit more to greater effect.

Those sideline cams whose video ends up in most of the Husker youtube videos add some really beautiful video dont they? That broadcast vid can be so flat and boring. With that, it's generally all about context. Think about the video you are using. Use select clips to setup other clips. For instance, that big pass to Enunwa in the bowl game could have used a little more "setup" clip-wise to show why that was a big play. Again, you got close by showing the backwards play the play before but just a little more maybe commentary emphasizing it, some b-roll sideline stuff to show just how backed up the ended up being. If I remember correctly, the play-by-play guys were calling for the punt and were really surprised at the play call there. Just a little more to emphasize the significance of that play.

Obviously you are at the mercy of the video you collect, so some of these can be achieved easily while others cannot. If you have control of it all and all the cameras, oh the stories we could tell.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you need me to clarify something, just let me know. Again nothing personal. Just some stuff I think that can take this great video to the next level.

• 2 months later...

So I was working on a video project and while putting 80 video clips into frame for a "collage" style intro video, I realized I forgot to share the input that I had for your video. This mostly my opinion mixed with some industry stuff that I believe will help, so no pressure to change anything really. Since there really isn't video you shot yourself (other than those couple of clips) most of this is going to be opinion thoughts versus technical stuff anyway. Although seeing your workflow might give me some ideas for pointers too. I understand you are still in the learning phases with some aspects as well so nothing personal meant. So here goes:

I totally get the angle of telling the season story but I think it was too long. Might just be me but I tend to always feel like I can do/show less and tell the story better.

I agree with the light leaks sentiment...sort of. I think it was only slightly overdone but mostly I would move their use to different locations. For instance, there were a couple of spots where the effect was used in the middle of a clip, which is often not a problem but in some of these cases it was distracting. So you could move them, or reduce opacity in key situations.

The opening 30s is awesome but I feel the transition was harsh to the title graphic, body of videos and next song. I felt like I wanted more of that song or a transition to keep that electronic hip hop vibe longer. Maybe don't do a fade out/in, try a hard cut on the first song on a hard drum hit with a similar in point on that rock song, if that makes sense.

You like that Family Force 5 groove eh? I dig it.

Look out for white text over white/yellow video setups as in your title graphic for legibility.

Work on your graphic effects to make them more dynamic. Something to give them dimension, movement, feeling, etc. Flat is very good for somethings but the logo sequences can use a bump in this regard. Maybe also adding the score more frequently to help set the stage better for certain plays.

Your song selections overall do well connecting to the video scenario and conveying the overall emotion. Although, I want a little more isolation of the moody songs to losses and upbeat songs to wins...unless there is a back story to why that game is sad even though a win in which you then need to give more context to that story. Separate the moods a little more. The only audio I am not sure about is the backing song for the Northwestern game hail mary, I feel like I want something less melodic and more "frantic" and dramatic that crescendos on the catch. You had it build nicely though with the crescendo (make a better cut/mix there though) on the catch. I felt like the moodiness of it worked well for the "after" parts though. Gives that relief feeling.

Obviously the games are the main attraction but I think you can use some more B-roll type video. On a big play you add in the radio calls well but could throw in some crowd shots showing the excitement or disappointment. You know, reaction type stuff. Another place to use them is in times of a meaningful game such as the UCLA game (the player death and the hype over black jerseys), homecoming and senior night. You sorta touch on it but I want a little more of that and a little less of the super short/choppy clips used as filler. You kinda front and back load these vid (and I don't blame you because it works for how you had the video laid out) but sprinkle more in throughout.

I am not a fan of the addition of the smoke on tackles and such...unless you have it as part of an overall theme of effects.

The addition of outside media sources like ESPN were used well.

I really like the timing of the SDSU sequence within the ending of the Switchfoot song.

You have some really good segments but I think you can do a bit more with timing...timing key song moments with key game moments. Sorta like you do at 11:25 to 11:30 mark. You don't have to do it every time but I think you could have utilized those moments a bit more to greater effect.

Those sideline cams whose video ends up in most of the Husker youtube videos add some really beautiful video dont they? That broadcast vid can be so flat and boring. With that, it's generally all about context. Think about the video you are using. Use select clips to setup other clips. For instance, that big pass to Enunwa in the bowl game could have used a little more "setup" clip-wise to show why that was a big play. Again, you got close by showing the backwards play the play before but just a little more maybe commentary emphasizing it, some b-roll sideline stuff to show just how backed up the ended up being. If I remember correctly, the play-by-play guys were calling for the punt and were really surprised at the play call there. Just a little more to emphasize the significance of that play.

Obviously you are at the mercy of the video you collect, so some of these can be achieved easily while others cannot. If you have control of it all and all the cameras, oh the stories we could tell.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you need me to clarify something, just let me know. Again nothing personal. Just some stuff I think that can take this great video to the next level.

Thanks for the input ice :thumbs

I agree with a lot of your sentiment. A lot of the stuff I wanted to do would have been achieved much better if I knew After Effects - especially the logo title sequences. They worked functionally but I know I could have done a lot more with them. Same for the particles and dust and etc.

I also, as a general rule of thumb, agree that shorter is usually better. However, if you're trying to tell a story that took place over 4+ months I think that's hard to do. Especially with the suggestion of adding more B-roll footage - do you want it shorter or longer make up your mind :P I agree with that as well, but unfortunately am limited to the shots that the broadcasts give me.

I'm excited to do it all over again next year after having spent a solid 6+ months working full time doing video :)

Edit: Oh, and also, finding music was the HARDEST part of this entire project. You don't want to be ADD with music selections, but what's a person to do when a team goes W-W-L-W-W-L it's just so stupid trying to find music to fit when the mood changes so frequently.