Recruits Decommitting

Kentucky has the #13 2014 rivals recruiting class IIRC. Dunno about Vandy, but I'd like us to be that high up in the rankings.

Would like us to win 10 games a year too? Kentucky has a good class last year and this because they are selling the "hot program" with a new kinda big name coach. He will continue to fail and they will continue to drop.

It's a long offseason, if everyone agreed, we would have nothing to discuss. Those fans that dis the current class are allowed to be wrong. This class fine. Third yr recruiting for the B1G (not counting the recruiting cycle before 1st yr playing, in the conference. Coaches needed to play a season out to see where we were. Bo has done an outstanding job each of the past three yrs in the final three weeks before NSD. IMHO, these last three classes (I'm assuming 14' verbals sign) have been impressive. Stars mean little once the HS players get to college. I read somewhere that approximately only 30% of the 5* and 48% 4* live up to the hype, where as 25% of 3* play above ranking. There are only a few 5*'s so 30% is a high number, one out of every two are really only 3* talent at the college level. The number of three stars is double that of 4 & 5 star players, and with 25% performing at 4 and 5 stars level, makes it difficult to project how each class is going to do. Now, if you have top classes each yr. Sign a large # of 4& 5 star players, get rid of the ones that don't pan out and oversign to make up for self imposed attrition, then you're going to be more successful on the field. How successful are these same programs in the classroom? Are we as fans, looking at the value of a BS as meh, just to win baby win???? Today's younger fans think they know more about the game than the coaches, would be able to hire the right person to recruit better to satisfy their need for instant gratification. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pelini has had only three real recruiting cycles to build a team for B1G play. So all you bashers out there need to take a step back, look at the whole picture, get behind your team of choice, stop complaining about things you as a fan have NO control over and enjoy the game.GBR

Evens out? Those schools are located close to a ton of talent, aren't located on the northern plains in the middle of nowhere, don't have harsh winters that scare off recruits, haven't consistently brought in top talent of the sort NU seems to be expected to and haven't won squat with the talent they have brought in. They have nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

Yes, it is possible to use recruiting hustle to overcome disadvantages, but that doesn't change the fact that NU is uniquely disadvantaged by its location and climate.

It at least evens out, those are absolute nobody programs, that have zero business being remotely relevant to the recruiting conversation.

Evens out? Those schools are located close to a ton of talent, aren't located on the northern plains in the middle of nowhere, don't have harsh winters that scare off recruits, haven't consistently brought in top talent of the sort NU seems to be expected to and haven't won squat with the talent they have brought in. They have nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

Yes, it is possible to use recruiting hustle to overcome disadvantages, but that doesn't change the fact that NU is uniquely disadvantaged by its location and climate.

It at least evens out, those are absolute nobody programs, that have zero business being remotely relevant to the recruiting conversation.

They are SEC programs located near tons of talented players. I am not denigrating the impressive effort their coaching staffs have put in, but it is not comparable to getting kids to move across the country to a small city on the northern plains. (They also haven't out-recruited us on a consistent basis nor won anything, so I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.)

Quite simply, there is no comparison to our recruiting situation. The only thing close is kansas state, and they rely largely on juco transfers and one of the best coaches of all time.

They are SEC programs located near tons of talented players. I am not denigrating the impressive effort their coaching staffs have put in, but it is not comparable to getting kids to move across the country to a small city on the northern plains. (They also haven't out-recruited us on a consistent basis nor won anything, so I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.)

Quite simply, there is no comparison to our recruiting situation. The only thing close is kansas state, and they rely largely on juco transfers and one of the best coaches of all time.

One of the best coaches of ALL-TIME? Maybe at KSU, but not all-time.

I think you could look at Oregon as somewhat similar. I know they are close to Northern California but the majority of talent is in the LA area. That's 12.5 hours drive. Its about 5 hours to Seattle. And the weather during football season would be close. I am not sure how many D-1 scholarship worthy players the state produces but I can't believe it is vastly more than Nebraska.

Bill Snyder is one of a kind. Sorry, but he's probably a better coach all around than TO. I know I know, the championships and head to head argument. But I think it's probably true. And what he's done AGAIN after coming back after they let Prince callahan that program just cements his legacy even further. I just always wonder what he would be at a place like a Nebraska, Oklahoma, or some SEC school that gives him the tools necessary to take that next step. Would he even be beatable?

Bill Snyder is one of a kind. Sorry, but he's probably a better coach all around than TO. I know I know, the championships and head to head argument. But I think it's probably true. And what he's done AGAIN after coming back after they let Prince callahan that program just cements his legacy even further. I just always wonder what he would be at a place like a Nebraska, Oklahoma, or some SEC school that gives him the tools necessary to take that next step. Would he even be beatable?

The only point I disagree with you on is the TO part. 8-0 head to head. I understand the talent disparity, but you have to beat someone one out of eight times to be even close to being better than that person.

There's no doubt Snyder can coach. But maybe he's better at getting unheralded guys to play in his system too. Look at Brady Hoke. Great coach at smaller programs but is struggling with big-time talent. Some guys are system guys and I think Snyder is one of them. Albeit, running a great system.

The only point I disagree with you on is the TO part. 8-0 head to head. I understand the talent disparity, but you have to beat someone one out of eight times to be even close to being better than that person.

There's no doubt Snyder can coach. But maybe he's better at getting unheralded guys to play in his system too. Look at Brady Hoke. Great coach at smaller programs but is struggling with big-time talent. Some guys are system guys and I think Snyder is one of them. Albeit, running a great system.

And my point also is that had TO stuck around, do we know for sure that we win the games in '98, '00, '02, and so on? I'm really not sure. Solich road on Osborne's talent, with predominantly Osborne's entire staff for his first 4 years or so. I know Tom's presence is probably that difference maker, yet, he is still just one man. So I'm not really sure. But the fact is that Snyder has done something TWICE that Osborne never had to deal with. A garbage program from scratch that due to numerous intangibles (location, budget, tradition, etc) has absolutely no business being even respectable, much less elite as they have been in each of his two stints.