Recruits Decommitting

I find it funny that people can bash our recruiting in one breath, then praise the diamonds in the rough in another. How can you tell the difference at this point?

I think Trai Mosely will be great, as do many on this board. He's a three star with a composite ranking of 96. Why WOULDN'T he be great? Chris Jones has a composite of 124. Not that far off and people aren't high on him.

Lets just not write these kids off just yet. At least let them check into their dorms before we get worried about their abilities on the next level.

I see your point. I stand by my frustration about recruiting while still recognizing that this staff does a great job of finding those diamonds in the rough.

The difference is, teams like USC, Texas, OSU, Alabama, LSU...etc, don't need to work so hard to find those diamonds in the rough. They don't have to take chances on as many kids hoping they will pan out. More players are coming into their programs ready to compete.

It's a numbers game. Then, you put in the SEC rules and that goes up exponentially when you look at the numbers of kids that funnel into their program over a 4 year period compared to programs like ours.

This is a major issue the NCAA needs to figure out. Recruiting in football is NOT on a level playing field right now and ultimately, it hurst the sport long term.

Don't forget, during their Senior year, when they can finally start coming on official visits, they are in the middle of their own seasons. So they have their own games on Friday nights and need to try to catch a plane to Omaha by 2 hours before game time the following day.

Don't even get me started on Big Ten November night games.

Don't forget, during their Senior year, when they can finally start coming on official visits, they are in the middle of their own seasons. So they have their own games on Friday nights and need to try to catch a plane to Omaha by 2 hours before game time the following day.

Don't even get me started on Big Ten November night games.

Agree entirely. All those 11:00 games we play really hurt us. They have to change the rules regarding OVs - everything is 6-8 months ahead of where it was 8-10 years ago. Junior visits are a must for Nebraska in the future. Early signing period would be the next logical step in that.

Want to chime in on this guys, Oregon, Michigan St. and Missouri are 3 that come to mind. Missouri just won the SEC East, We know what Mich St just did, recruiting classes not that good. Oregon, no where near a hotbed of recruiting, yet they are dragging them from all over the country. I guess my point would lead more to a coaching deficiency than to recruiting talent. But we are not even competing with the OKst, Ok,Mich, Ohio st of the world, we are competing with schools like Mass, Wstrn KY,FIU, Indiana, Middle Tennessee, Northern Colorado, SO Miss, ULM, La Tech, Houston, NIU, and the list goes on guys, i know the Nebraska brand is not what it once was, but it is more than this. You cannot win without a combination of talent and Coaching, and the coaches are responsible for the talent. Besides the fact that we play in a weak conference, and i will say it, THE BIG TEN is WEAK and we are not successful.

Two guarantees when it comes to husker football - fans will whine about recruiting every year and Bo and his guys will keep on winning.

Sucks to lose this kid, but we'll be fine without him.

Are you saying the fans are required to be pleased with the substandard recruiting every year? And I somewhat disagree with the keep on winning part. Minnesota and Iowa say hi. Unless you meant something else by winning.

I'm a little late to the party, but the bolded couldn't be more wrong.

We are lucky to pull in the talent that we do. If anything, our staff has to be above average in recruiting to make this team mesh as it does. We have to find the diamonds in the rough, we have to take the chances that other schools won't, and we are severely disadvantaged due to location. It might be substandard to you, because you may have unreasonable expectations as to what kind of class we should be bringing in year in and year out. There is very little talent around us as opposed to *most* other top 25 teams. Couple that with the built in issues, systemic, location (OVs are tough to schedule due to flight restrictions, visiting recruits is tough due to monetary issues in the AD, etc) and monetarily, and you have your answer as to why our classes are not "substandard" but are in fact, very good classes.

Did people forget how much talent is on this team? Remember when the B1G network went around and said we might have the most talent in the B1G? The lack of results with this talent is more of an issue than recruiting and is a significant reason as to why I don't think Beck is worth his weight as an OC.

Unfortunately, I see this sort of defeatist poppycock didn't die with EZ-E.

If the standard is still to compete for national championships, recruiting under Pelini has undoubtedly been substandard. We all agree that there are obstacles, but they've never been too much to overcome. They've never kept us from being one of the nation's premier college football teams.

We shan't lower the program's standards to accommodate Bo Pelini.

Two guarantees when it comes to husker football - fans will whine about recruiting every year and Bo and his guys will keep on winning.

Sucks to lose this kid, but we'll be fine without him.

Are you saying the fans are required to be pleased with the substandard recruiting every year? And I somewhat disagree with the keep on winning part. Minnesota and Iowa say hi. Unless you meant something else by winning.

I'm a little late to the party, but the bolded couldn't be more wrong.

We are lucky to pull in the talent that we do. If anything, our staff has to be above average in recruiting to make this team mesh as it does. We have to find the diamonds in the rough, we have to take the chances that other schools won't, and we are severely disadvantaged due to location. It might be substandard to you, because you may have unreasonable expectations as to what kind of class we should be bringing in year in and year out. There is very little talent around us as opposed to *most* other top 25 teams. Couple that with the built in issues, systemic, location (OVs are tough to schedule due to flight restrictions, visiting recruits is tough due to monetary issues in the AD, etc) and monetarily, and you have your answer as to why our classes are not "substandard" but are in fact, very good classes.

Did people forget how much talent is on this team? Remember when the B1G network went around and said we might have the most talent in the B1G? The lack of results with this talent is more of an issue than recruiting and is a significant reason as to why I don't think Beck is worth his weight as an OC.

Unfortunately, I see this sort of defeatist poppycock didn't die with EZ-E.

If the standard is still to compete for national championships, recruiting under Pelini has undoubtedly been substandard. We all agree that there are obstacles, but they've never been too much to overcome. They've never kept us from being one of the nation's premier college football teams.

We shan't lower the program's standards to accommodate Bo Pelini.

I'm begging you...please stop claiming that people are lowering their standards at Nebraska. That just isn't true.

Please respond to my two posts above about the situation we are in due to the NCAA. There have been specific rules put in place that have hurt not just us, but anyone in the same situation we are in as far as location.

Again, name me one school that isn't in a hot bed of talent that has brought in the talent you expect us to bring in consistently. It just doesn't happen. Heck, this didn't even happen under Tom but the NCAA has put in regulations that took away what he used to get kids here and college football has flat out changed.

Now, right now I am sure you are frothing at the mouth claiming this is a defeatist attitude. It ISN'T. We can be champions again. However, my feelings are that it is going to be extremely difficult to be in the NC race year in and year out until the NCAA changes certain rules.

Some people really miss EZ-E, just can't shake him.

EZ might have got worked up on issues and went over board but he did bring good insight to the board about recruiting. I always enjoyed his write-ups he would do after signing day about the signed recruits coming in.

Because I honestly don't know, what is the difference between Oklahoma getting Joe Mixon out of CA and Nebraska doing the same thing?

We have pulled some very good recruits out of California just like they did. However, it's a numbers game. Look at how many players they have on their roster from Texas....more specifically from the Dallas area. It is extremely easy for a recruit out of Dallas to get to Norman for a game even when they play a game Friday night. Heck, I'm sure they could even make OU 11:00 games.

Because I honestly don't know, what is the difference between Oklahoma getting Joe Mixon out of CA and Nebraska doing the same thing?

We have pulled some very good recruits out of California just like they did. However, it's a numbers game. Look at how many players they have on their roster from Texas....more specifically from the Dallas area. It is extremely easy for a recruit out of Dallas to get to Norman for a game even when they play a game Friday night. Heck, I'm sure they could even make OU 11:00 games.

That may be true, but Oklahoma always recruits nationally very well. To me, I don't I think getting a kid to come from FL, CA, NY, NJ, VA to Nebraska is much different than getting a kid to go to Oklahoma. I see these schools as being equal in about everything but coaching.

That may be true, but Oklahoma always recruits nationally very well. To me, I don't I think getting a kid to come from FL, CA, NY, NJ, VA to Nebraska is much different than getting a kid to go to Oklahoma. I see these schools as being equal in about everything but coaching.

On individual players, I agree. But Oklahoma only has to get a few players from outside a few hours drive of Norman. Nebraska typically has to get a LOT more players from outside the nearby region. The difference is really in the number of players each team is trying to recruit nationally and the amount of time and effort coaches can expend recruiting nationally.

On individual players, I agree. But Oklahoma only has to get a few players from outside a few hours drive of Norman. Nebraska typically has to get a LOT more players from outside the nearby region. The difference is really in the number of players each team is trying to recruit nationally and the amount of time and effort coaches can expend recruiting nationally.

Is that a problem with resources? I am just trying to paint a picture here because I want the B1G to be strong and Nebraska pushing some of the other B1G teams to be better.

Is that a problem with resources? I am just trying to paint a picture here because I want the B1G to be strong and Nebraska pushing some of the other B1G teams to be better.

I want that too.

But, my opinion is, for that to happen on a consistent basis, NCAA regulations need to change. For one heck of a lot of the kids we are trying to recruit, we have about a 2-3 week period in January that they can come visit. That is a real disadvantage for Nebraska if a kid from Florida or California only can see Nebraska in January.