Recruits Decommitting

Let's look at the Oklahoma versus Nebraska rosters for the past season.

California - 8 for Oklahoma - 9 for Nebraska

Florida - 4 for Oklahoma - 5 for Nebraska

Texas - 45 for Oklahoma - 18 for Nebraska

So they get just as many Cali/Florida kids, yet only spend a small percentage of the time recruiting the region as we do because of the availability of talent in Texas makes Cali/Florida much lower on their list?

I do think as much time as we spend in California and Florida - and with as many connections as we've developed there over the last 6 years...we should have way more than 14 kids on the roster from those two locations.

(not like it is hard to convince an assistant to go to Cali/Florida in December/January when they live in Lincoln) ;)

Really??? First of all, I've asked it a couple times now, what program located like Nebraska has been able to bring in the talent that we expect this program to bring in and nobody has been able to answer that question.

Allow athletes to take official visits over the summer before their senior year. This would allow them to get on campus when they have time to travel AND, when the weather is nice and the kids can see how nice Nebraska really is instead of seeing it in January when it's 10 degrees with 30 mile per hour winds.

I get that Nebraska is unique but does that really stop recruits from considering Nebraska as a choice? If so, how do you know that? So you want recruits to see it in the summer and not during the school year? Isn't it still Nebraska in January or does it turn into another state when it is cold? Also, the cold is something that all schools have to deal with in the north. However, if they have aspirations to play in the NFL, they better learn to play in cold weather.

I think I will see my way out of this conversation. I have learned enough from the comments above.

We've actually done well historically with southern kids that visit in the dead of winter. I think it helps to show them you can survive in it, rather than let them fear the unknown. Lord knows other schools aren't going to let the topic of cold ass winters slip past these kids.

Obviously I'd rather that any kid make it in for a game, but getting them here at all is the actual hurdle, and visiting in the dead of winter is far from a deal breaker.

So they get just as many Cali/Florida kids, yet only spend a small percentage of the time recruiting the region as we do because of the availability of talent in Texas makes Cali/Florida much lower on their list?

I do think as much time as we spend in California and Florida - and with as many connections as we've developed there over the last 6 years...we should have way more than 14 kids on the roster from those two locations.

(not like it is hard to convince an assistant to go to Cali/Florida in December/January when they live in Lincoln) ;)

Where should we recruit less so that we can take more from CA and FL? TX? OH? LA? MD? GA? Border states?

We recruit wherever we can find players, because we have to.

Those are really easy assumptions to make from outside of both of the programs. Do you know for a fact that Oklahoma only spends a small percentage of the time recruiting these regions as Nebraska? Nebraska has spread out their recruiting regions pretty far so I doubt they spend that much more time in these two places. A competing view might be that Oklahoma is able to recruit these two areas harder since they don't have to work as hard in Texas and don't have as many kids to look for in other areas like Nebraska does in Louisiana, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado & Missouri. And if you are saying we need more kids from Florida and California on the roster that means you have to get rid of kids from other parts of the country, we only have so many slots to fill.

Really??? First of all, I've asked it a couple times now, what program located like Nebraska has been able to bring in the talent that we expect this program to bring in and nobody has been able to answer that question.

Allow athletes to take official visits over the summer before their senior year. This would allow them to get on campus when they have time to travel AND, when the weather is nice and the kids can see how nice Nebraska really is instead of seeing it in January when it's 10 degrees with 30 mile per hour winds.

I get that Nebraska is unique but does that really stop recruits from considering Nebraska as a choice? If so, how do you know that? So you want recruits to see it in the summer and not during the school year? Isn't it still Nebraska in January or does it turn into another state when it is cold? Also, the cold is something that all schools have to deal with in the north. However, if they have aspirations to play in the NFL, they better learn to play in cold weather.

I think I will see my way out of this conversation. I have learned enough from the comments above.

I'm going by simple observations from watching recruiting for a number of years.

Let's take this year. Right now, we are constantly in battles with ASU. ASU has a beautiful campus where right now it is 71 degrees and the low tonight is expected to be 50. This morning here, it was probably 10-15 below wind chill while getting all the way up to 20 degrees right now.

Now.....you don't think that affects some recruits? Sure, you are going to have some who can see through that. But, again...it's a numbers game.

Also....can anyone tell me why that rule is put in place that they can't take official visits until their season starts? What would the rational be with that? unless you are a school that is in a hot bed and want to put an impediment on a school that isn't in that hot bed?

Where should we recruit less so that we can take more from CA and FL? TX? OH? LA? MD? GA? Border states?

We recruit wherever we can find players, because we have to.

Bingo. We don't have the luxury that the "top class" teams do of having a "go to hotbed". We have to run all over the place and try to gauge interest.

I'm going by simple observations from watching recruiting for a number of years.

Let's take this year. Right now, we are constantly in battles with ASU. ASU has a beautiful campus where right now it is 71 degrees and the low tonight is expected to be 50. This morning here, it was probably 10-15 below wind chill while getting all the way up to 20 degrees right now.

Now.....you don't think that affects some recruits? Sure, you are going to have some who can see through that. But, again...it's a numbers game.

Also....can anyone tell me why that rule is put in place that they can't take official visits until their season starts? What would the rational be with that? unless you are a school that is in a hot bed and want to put an impediment on a school that isn't in that hot bed?

If memory serves, they can not take an official recruiting visit until they are seniors. Which given the football season starts right about the time school does. And the B1G perverted obsession with 11 AM kicks makes working some visits out very hard, as the kid can only take commercial air, meaning having to fly into Omaha, not the Lincoln airport.

All rules to help the small frys out there with limited budgets. Hopefully with the 'Power 5' moving to self legislate some of these restrictions might ease

I don't follow recruiting near as much as I used to, but I suppose I'd start with Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

I don't follow recruiting near as much as I used to, but I suppose I'd start with Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

I'd still disagree entirely. Their states pump out more talent and they are located closer to recruiting hotbeds (Ohio, Virginia, the rest of the south).

Yeah, but they also have their eh, winning football program traditions to fall back on (and in the case of Vanderbilt, stringent academic requirements). I'd say it evens out at the very least. Those schools overcome their quite significant football recruiting disadvantages principally because of their staff. For example, Kentucky hits Ohio hard and with success because they have at least one beast recruiter with deep connections there (Marrow).

All that said, it sounds like NU's staff is doing a bang up job to both finish this year and start the next one. I particularly like the twitter #boom thing they've got going. Let's see how the summer, and more importantly the in-season, go...and then let's see the results. Is this program going to continue to be crippled by injuries and youth turnover, or will it start plugging and reloading like the premier program it ought to be?

Evens out? Those schools are located close to a ton of talent, aren't located on the northern plains in the middle of nowhere, don't have harsh winters that scare off recruits, haven't consistently brought in top talent of the sort NU seems to be expected to and haven't won squat with the talent they have brought in. They have nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

Yes, it is possible to use recruiting hustle to overcome disadvantages, but that doesn't change the fact that NU is uniquely disadvantaged by its location and climate.