The Moaning of Life

knapplc

Yes, ESPN made a mention of our situation. But with Georgia's they used it as an excuse on their behalf-TIME AND TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

I know. I just watched it again last night.

And evidently, when Nebraska had the ball or had to make a tackle, the field magically dried up and the rain went away.

I just watched it the other day too, and they actually covered both teams situations pretty evenly. And HEAPED praise on Abdullah. The only complaint is that anytime Gurely didn't make a play it was because of his ankle which he didn't even have taped.

I love when Abdullah score from the one how Ed said I definitely wouldn't go up the middle, and what do we do but score easily up the middle. It shut him up for a good minute or so.

Maybe I'll have to rewatch it because honestly from memory I'd have to side with Mr. A on this one. I thought it seemed like everything we did well was because Georgia was at a disadvantage in some way. They almost seemed to give no credit to us what so ever. In the heat of the game though I hardly hear the good things they say about us, usually just the bad. Funny how that kind of relates to this thread. It certainly seemed like some biased reporting. I dislike that Cunningham too, so maybe I wasn't listening much from the onset.

Either way, I won't let the announcers or anyone diminish that win. Why? Because I didn't think we would win it. It was nice for my Huskers to win one I didn't think we could win for once. Great to see actually. I really feel like Georgia was a big boy team this year, and we not only played with them, but played well and won. The Michigan game was another one I felt good about. We can diminish Michigan all we want, but IMO that HC of theirs is no slouch, and you don't just walk into Michigan with a freshman QB and pull off a victory. Two wins we should be proud of in my book.

• Fire 4

I felt the same way until I tried to watch it without bias this weekend. It's much easier to hear the negative things they said about us and Georgia injuries wise, but I think it was really pretty evenly split with the compliments and acknowledgements, but they did mope about Gurely a little too much.

Side note I was the total opposite of you True I felt it was a game we should win, but figured we would screw it up somehow. My only true hope was that destiny was on our side (9 wins and all).

I think what you're seeing is the fan base sliding into apathy. At least with Callahan we were (1) united in our disdain and (2) could laugh at the situation. With Pelini, there's a good number of us who know he's not going to bring a championship to Nebraska, but also know that we're stuck with his mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Those of us that aren't completely apathetic have to grumble about our circumstances to make ourselves feel better.
Ah yes, the "real fan" argument.

Huh? Where did imply any such thing? I'm just describing the state of the fan base. Some want Bo to go, others hope he can pull it out, but there is a palpable current of apathy. When the things to look forward to are a hailmary victory over a winless in conference team and a narrow victory over an uninspired, depleted mediocre SEC team, interest starts to wane. I think that explains what Knappic described in his OP as much as anything.

Unless you believe its just because half (or more?) of the fan base is conspiring to piss in Pelini's cheerios for the hell of it. In which case, right back at you with the roll eyes "real fan" BS.

To me, the "9 wins" thing is stupid beyond the fact it necessarily requires 4 losses. The reason it is stupid is because it suggests that the dividing line between good and bad coaches is 8 vs. 9 wins. If we'd have misgivings about Bo for an 8-5 season, we shouldn't assume we're good to go because Jordan Westerkamp had the good fortune of having a football catch his hands.

• Fire 4
I think what you're seeing is the fan base sliding into apathy. At least with Callahan we were (1) united in our disdain and (2) could laugh at the situation. With Pelini, there's a good number of us who know he's not going to bring a championship to Nebraska, but also know that we're stuck with his mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Those of us that aren't completely apathetic have to grumble about our circumstances to make ourselves feel better.

Huh? Where did imply any such thing? I'm just describing the state of the fan base. Some want Bo to go, others hope he can pull it out, but there is a palpable current of apathy. When the things to look forward to are a hailmary victory over a winless in conference team and a narrow victory over an uninspired, depleted mediocre SEC team, interest starts to wane. I think that explains what Knappic described in his OP as much as anything.

Unless you believe its just because half (or more?) of the fan base is conspiring to piss in Pelini's cheerios for the hell of it. In which case, right back at you with the roll eyes "real fan" BS.

Your first quote is a "real fan" statement, i.e. you're better than everyone else because you "aren't settling for mediocrity."

Well, yeah just ask. Ed if the field wasn't wet and Gurley didn't have a bum ankle there is no way Cooper makes that tackle short of the first down in the 4th.

Injuries were discussed on both sides but it felt like more excuses were made for Georgia's injuries than for Nebraska's.

Hujan I tend to think you make some good points at times but this one we disagree on. I'm sick and tired of hearing this "uninspired SEC" team argument. So had they won, they played their butts off and beat us, but since they lost they were uninspired? Bull crap. Give it the eye ball test man, watch the game. There's no way you can say Georgia wasn't playing to win. Watch the damn thing. Those teams both wanted it. We made the plays whe we needed to, on both sides of the ball. As dinged up as both teams may have been, Georgia has proven to be a top notch team with top notch talent every year for quite some time now. Don't believe it? Just look at the guys they send to the draft every year.

After victories like that, when people can't even allow themselves to be happy about that game, it does make you step back and question the motive. I don't think Bo is the right guy either, but refusing to give credit when credit is due is just a game I'm not going to play. Yep, we barely beat lowly Northwestern. The same Northwestern that so far has seemed to play us pretty tough in our Big Ten stint. The same Northwestern that had Ohio St. shaking there for a bit. Now I won't put beating Northwestern in our house on the same level as I put that Georgia victory, but come on man, that hail Mary was f'ing epic! It was also a hell of a spark for this team when many thought this season might take an entirely different direction.

The fan base may be split half and half on Pelini, but the half that thinks he shouldnt be the coach probably feel that way for entirely different reasons. So split that half into about ten groups. Of that ten groups, 1 of them is the unreasonable bunch. Hard to listen to those people.

If we're giving teams a pass for being uninspired and depleted in their bowl game then we're not blaming Pelini for his fourth loss in 2010, right?

Saying a team played uninspired football (I don't necessarily agree this was Georgia, just playing devil's advocate), doesn't mean you are saying it is OK that they played uninspired football. I agree that Nebraska did play uninspired in the 2010 Holiday Bowl. I do not thing this is acceptable for a team that could have obtained its 11th win.

If we're giving teams a pass for being uninspired and depleted in their bowl game then we're not blaming Pelini for his fourth loss in 2010, right?

Saying a team played uninspired football (I don't necessarily agree this was Georgia, just playing devil's advocate), doesn't mean you are saying it is OK that they played uninspired football. I agree that Nebraska did play uninspired in the 2010 Holiday Bowl. I do not thing this is acceptable for a team that could have obtained its 11th win.

I agree with what Junior said. Playing half assed falls on coaches and players IMO.

I saw the part where Hujan said Georgia played uninspired, I guess I'm missing where someone said they get a pass for it?

I suppose that depends on how much you're going to pin me down to the "get a pass" phrase that I offhandedly typed. If we're going to be completely pedantic about it I'm bored with the "I didn't say exactly that" back-and-forth so I'll bow out. If you're going to allow the intent of what I typed to be discussed, I think it has merit as a topic. Not specifically only because Hujan talked generally about it, but also because it's a fair question - Is it OK to discount certain of Nebraska's wins because of opponent record or perceived interest level, and if so, is OK to apply that same litmus test to Nebraska's losses? If not, why not?