The great Bo debate

Redux

Im reading through the 9 win -4 loss threads and Im just overwhelmed. Theres too much to sift through. So, I started another. Doesnt make much sense does it? Neither does losing 4 games a year, neither does winning 9 games a year. We have had in non consecutive years the most fearsome defense, the best passing offense, the youngst inexperienced defense, the most inept offense, the greatest special teams and the most injury plauged teams over the last 6 years. With every unit we endured/celebrated the pay off was there but we came up short of expectations.

Under Bo we have seen some magical moments and some truly unsettling outcomes, sometimes in the same game. Weve seen the first 99 yard TD pass in NU history, weve also seen 336 turnovers I believe against Iowa state. Roller Coaster coaches like Bo arent rare but he is special. We just came off a year where we saw a last second hail mary to win a game and Bo nearly cold c$%k a zebra. 2013 had Jack Hoffman and Tapegate. Say what you want about Bo, its never boring. The guy has a reputation of being a menacing lunatic who explodes when things go wrong. But hes also known to genuinely care and be a top notch mentor and human being to his players family and even strangers.

So what is the pay off? 9-4? Well so far yes, sometimes 10-4. 3 title appearances and 3 title losses. Hes Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. But you know what your getting. Flashes of greatness stopped short by inexperience. In year 7 with realignment and adjustments mostly solved it is certainly time to get over the hump. Excuses are there for a reason. Not just because of legitimacy but also as so.ething to debate about. Excuses will never go away just as detraction isnt going anywhere. So again what is the pay off should this year be special? I only see two outcomes. Bo leads us through a season of emotional wins and breaks his net to esrablish himself as an embraced Husker head coach. Or, he takes that success and goes somewhere to start fresh with momentum on his side. Either way part of the fanbase wins.

I wont pretend that I want Bo out if he comes up short again but coming up short that consistently takes a certain level of success/stubborness. The debate will rage on as long as Bo is retained by NU. And thats okay. Just try to understand we are still discussing a man. A very well paid man to do things we expect. But still a man. A man with a family. A man who like it or not has given 6+ years to this state and fanbase. Even if you dont like him personally or professionally you have to admire his accomplishments to a degeee, his tenacity no matter how frustrating and his dedication to his team. So should this be his final year regardless of the seasons outcome Id like for us to remember him as someone who took the reigns during a difficult time and ran with it to his own tune and never let anyone change the station. As a man with expectations and heart. A passionate coach who sometimes got in his own way but still was capable at the end of the day.

Im not sure what I intended this to be. Its not perfect by any means. There are several errors and grammatical mistakes due to my large thumbs and small screen. But perhaps thats fitting to the theme of this post. Capable of greatness but couldnt avoid an error until it was too late. Im really loking forward to this fall. Should be another emotional and exciting season whichever side of the fence you stand. Go Big Red.

• Fire 2

The Great Bo Debate.... is over.

I am sure it will be re-visited with great vigor in 12 months if we have a 9-4 or 10-4 season.

Until then, it's over.

Hopefully, the team will get us to a BCS and/or a conference champinship game this year.

This. So much this. I just want the team to win. That's it. This is how I feel now. I am done reading the Bo threads, because I go back and forth so much it confuses me. I looked at my post history. I defend Bo, then I am upset at him.

And do you know why? It is because he has strengths and flaws and they are out there for all of us to see. I want almost nothing more than him to lead this team to the promised land and win here. The only thing I want more for this team? To win, and the longer we go without winning the more I question if he can or ever will.

if he wins a title in the next 2 seasons, I am happy. If not, time for change.

Last Bo post from me.

Heres the debate. Its the offseason and most people who are in a loop of negativity concernin Husker Fotball have nothing better to do than to point to all the faults of Bo Pelini. When there is a shred of hope or optimism its gets cut of at the knees. The debate isnt about him being coach this year its will he want to be coach here if 2014 exceeds his detractors expectations.

If that was to long winded for some people heres the cliffnotes.:

Bo is coach, no trophies yet, be patient not miserable blah blah blah, suicide GIF.

• Fire 1

I see Bo as a man with a passion to win championships and if he feels a clean slate somewhere new is a better chance to do that I see him moving on. But if he is fired I dont see him taking a lower tier HC job at a MAC school, coordinator for one of the Youngstown Coaches maybe.

I see Bo as a man with a passion to win championships and if he feels a clean slate somewhere new is a better chance to do that I see him moving on. But if he is fired I dont see him taking a lower tier HC job at a MAC school, coordinator for one of the Youngstown Coaches maybe.

Getting fired and I see him becoming a coorditor in the NFL. He is quite respected for his defensive knowledge. He just has fully grasped all the ins and outs of being a major college head coach.

If Bo is successful in winning a league title this season and a "higher" profile gig comes calling does he answer the call? Meanwhile should Nebraska finish 8-5 or worse does he even have a shred of hope for being retained?

My opinion is yes.

This is the highest profile place he will get to coach unless he changes his demnor on the sideline and starts to win championships. Tom is the only reason that he is still here, so he does have that big piece in his corner. But it does create a bad work enviroment and the only way they get rid of Bo since Tom won't allow them to fire him is to force him out by not fully supporting him. And i will say that I don't agree with either side, Tom shouldn't be meddling with the AD and if they are going to keep him, they really need to fully support him, not just submit a canned statement to the press and push him out behind the scenes.

If Bo is successful in winning a league title this season and a "higher" profile gig comes calling does he answer the call? Meanwhile should Nebraska finish 8-5 or worse does he even have a shred of hope for being retained?

My opinion is yes.

This is the highest profile place he will get to coach unless he changes his demnor on the sideline and starts to win championships. Tom is the only reason that he is still here, so he does have that big piece in his corner. But it does create a bad work enviroment and the only way they get rid of Bo since Tom won't allow them to fire him is to force him out by not fully supporting him. And i will say that I don't agree with either side, Tom shouldn't be meddling with the AD and if they are going to keep him, they really need to fully support him, not just submit a canned statement to the press and push him out behind the scenes.

I keep hearing this, and can't figure out why. Is this something you heard from another poster, or did you hear it from Bo, his staff, Eichorst or Osborne?

I personally find this complete BS.

I think he is hear, because Eichorst believes in what he can bring to the University. The consistency, 3 conference title appearances, which means 3 divisional titles, clean program and improvement on both sides of the ball.

Also, please, enlighten us... what do you mean by bad work environment? Any proof on this, insider info, something you heard from another poster?

• Fire 1

Tom Osborne could influence the administration but why would he? He stepped down to leave that position. I dont get this accusation either.

So heres the thing, Bo leaves, we hire the next Chip Kelly and he churns out a conference title and a playoff appearance in 2 years. We rejoice in celebration until he announces he leaving for a different gig at the college level. We are then devastated and pray we can get a new coach that will win 9-10 games a year. Bo is doing that now and has the potential for more. We hire a guy who wins big quick and it likely wont last. Nebraska doesnt hire revolving door coaches. We like long term hires and Bo has that potential if this upcoming season can be a move up in results. Isnt that what we want? Or will we be happy to repeat the last decade if it means one National title?

Tom is not the only reason Pelini is still here. There is more than one high profile decision maker not named Tom Osborne that is firmly in Pelini's corner. Pelini is not on the hot seat now, and barring off the field issues or a losing record, Pelini is and will be the coach at the University of Nebraska.