Many states are running low in propane fuel according to CNN. City slicker here.....ignorant question:

Let say 500 gallons hot dog propane tank and hooked up 1500' sq ft. modern house in the middle of Nebraska winter. How long to refill propane tank from full to empty? A few weeks apart? Several months? I have NO idea.

Where is Hank Hill when you need him? :lol:

Some of the shortage is due to a LP pipeline that runs from Canada to N. Dakota being shutdown, purged and crude pumped from the oil fields in N. Dakota back to Canada to be refined. Rumors have it that this is due to the Keystone Pipeline fiasco that has been going on.

http://homeguides.sf...nace-25507.html

That should help you get an estimate. You've got the energy provided per gallon of propane, you can find the energy rating of the furnace (not sure if you'll know how efficient the furnace is), and you know a full tank is only 80ish percent full. So you can figure out how many hours your furnace can run on that amount of propane. So then you just need to figure out how long per day your furnace typically runs.

Anyway, that's how you'd get yourself an estimate. Someone in here can hopefully give you an estimate from practical experience, but that someone isn't me. :)

Some of the shortage is due to a LP pipeline that runs from Canada to N. Dakota being shutdown, purged and crude pumped from the oil fields in N. Dakota back to Canada to be refined. Rumors have it that this is due to the Keystone Pipeline fiasco that has been going on.

So this is like when the refineries go offline for "maintenance and repair" during peak demand?

The natural gas infrastructure is aging, and if efforts aren't stepped up to replace and upgrade parts of it, incidents will slowly become more common (minor incidents aren't all that uncommon, though serious incidents are considering how much infrastructure there actually is in this country). That essentially requires people being willing to pay out a bit more, which we all know is extremely hard to accomplish. I mean, hey, if nobody cares about paying for quality public education for our children, why the f#*k would they care about making sure that gas line near their house doesn't explode?

And yeah, we intentionally make natural gas smell like that so it's near impossible to miss a leak of any real significance. People might be more willing to pay, though, if it had no smell and thus was undetcatable until it killed them. Actually, I kinda like that idea.

So this is like when the refineries go offline for "maintenance and repair" during peak demand?

This has more to do with Canada acting like little bitches because the Keystone Pipeline is being stonewalled. Kind of a " You screw me, I will screw you" ordeal. As far as the refineries, that is a bullsh#t tactic they do to adjust prices and it ALWAYS takes longer to get back online then what the forecast.

Of course most cities and towns provide natural gas lines. I am baffled why not more natural gas explosions like leaking/broken/corroded pipes, defective valves, sabotages, etc.

You know natural gas is odorless and colorless (untreated)? I didn't know that !! see natural gas disaster

Propane is also odorless and colorless. It is injected with stuff called mercapton to give it the smell. Mercapton is some nasty sh#t and if it gets on you, the only thing that will clean it up is bleach.

The natural gas infrastructure is aging, and if efforts aren't stepped up to replace and upgrade parts of it, incidents will slowly become more common (minor incidents aren't all that uncommon, though serious incidents are considering how much infrastructure there actually is in this country). That essentially requires people being willing to pay out a bit more, which we all know is extremely hard to accomplish. I mean, hey, if nobody cares about paying for quality public education for our children, why the f#*k would they care about making sure that gas line near their house doesn't explode?

And yeah, we intentionally make natural gas smell like that so it's near impossible to miss a leak of any real significance. People might be more willing to pay, though, if it had no smell and thus was undetcatable until it killed them. Actually, I kinda like that idea.

speaking of the devil .....

natural gas huge explosion - 1/26?/2014

luckily, no fatalities

This doesn't make much sense since the Keystone pipeline was to pump oil from Canada to the gulf. So, why would that have an affect on pumping oil from N Dakota to canada?

Many states are running low in propane fuel according to CNN. City slicker here.....ignorant question:

Let say 500 gallons hot dog propane tank and hooked up 1500' sq ft. modern house in the middle of Nebraska winter. How long to refill propane tank from full to empty? A few weeks apart? Several months? I have NO idea.

Where is Hank Hill when you need him? :lol:

post-11980-0-34026800-1390846022.jpeg

This doesn't make much sense since the Keystone pipeline was to pump oil from Canada to the gulf. So, why would that have an affect on pumping oil from N Dakota to canada?

The oil from N. Dakota is easier and cheaper to refine then the oil from Canada. It is more cost effective for them to pump it in from N.Dakota then to go through the extra steps of trying to refine the oil from the tar sands.