College football players union

I still haven't seen anyone tell me what money they produce for the University. Until that is established, your point is meaningless.

Alabama Athletics Earn More Than All 30 NHL Teams

The Alabama Crimson Tide athletics department earns revenues of $143 million dollars.According to Marc Edelman, a professor of sports and antitrust law at CUNY, that is more than all 30 NHL teams and 25 NBA teams. While not the craziest thing you've ever heard, it does crystallize something you've probably always known on some level: amateur sports is better business than professional sports.

On the whole, college athletics earns more than the aggregate of the NHL and NBA, according to Edelman. Student athletes across the country are earning more for their institutes of higher learning than professionals are for their organizations designed specifically to make money.

Wonder what they included in revenues. Are donations included in revenue?

That's misleading because it's pretty easy to have better revenue in a much larger operation -- the combined sports of all of Alabama athletics -- than a single sport. Stack just the NHL and NBA teams from one city and how does Alabama, obviously chosen for its outlier status to begin with, match up?

Also, per Forbes, that would be 17 NBA teams, not 25... and it's a good thing they didn't pick bigger sports like the NFL or MLB. Not to say that college athletics isn't a big business. It clearly is. There's a lot of interest. And a lot of athletic departments relying heavily on booster donations to prop up their programs. In addition to booster donations, there's television deals. In other words, everything depends on the interest level in college athletics overall staying at these extraordinary levels.

It's not appreciated enough how valuable it is that all these Directional State U's also have football programs. There's probably a brutally free, non amateur market for a certain number of teams and I'm sure some people will still pay attention to all 20 or 30 or 40 of them playing each other every year. But everybody loses if the size of the pie is reduced.

I'd be pretty surprised if donations were included, by the way; it just seems low, but maybe I'm wrong.

I still haven't seen anyone tell me what money they produce for the University. Until that is established, your point is meaningless.

Alabama Athletics Earn More Than All 30 NHL Teams

The Alabama Crimson Tide athletics department earns revenues of $143 million dollars.According to Marc Edelman, a professor of sports and antitrust law at CUNY, that is more than all 30 NHL teams and 25 NBA teams. While not the craziest thing you've ever heard, it does crystallize something you've probably always known on some level: amateur sports is better business than professional sports.

On the whole, college athletics earns more than the aggregate of the NHL and NBA, according to Edelman. Student athletes across the country are earning more for their institutes of higher learning than professionals are for their organizations designed specifically to make money.

That has nothing to do with how much money the athletes made the school. What are the expenses that go against that revenue.

It makes absolutely no sense to just look at revenue in this situation. These athletes demand that HUGE amounts of money be spent on the most absolutely ridiculous facilities and services or they won't even consider the school. That takes money and those expenses need to be subtracted from this revenue before the discussion is even started.

The Athletes demanded the premium facilities? Doubt it. That's like saying the students demanded the Gothic University Haul.

Not sure if that stat is more condemning of what has happened to hockey in this country.

Yes they do. Why do you think we have the super over the top facilities we have? Do you really think football players need locker rooms lined in Cherry wood with iPads at every locker? do you think they really need private player lounges with video games, pool tables and 534 TVS or even TVs in the toilet? Does any of that make them better football players?

No, the ONLY reason we have those things is to attract 18 year old kids to come play here. Without those facilities, many of the players we have now wouldn't be here.

So...yes....players demand over the top nice facilities that cost tens of millions of dollars.

Yes they do. Why do you think we have the super over the top facilities we have? Do you really think football players need locker rooms lined in Cherry wood with iPads at every locker? do you think they really need private player lounges with video games, pool tables and 534 TVS or even TVs in the toilet? Does any of that make them better football players?

No, the ONLY reason we have those things is to attract 18 year old kids to come play here. Without those facilities, many of the players we have now wouldn't be here.

So...yes....players demand over the top nice facilities that cost tens of millions of dollars.

and the schools are providing it at a loss? just to be nice?

and the schools are providing it at a loss? just to be nice?

Why do they need donations to build them?

• Fire 1

Why do they need donations to build them?

do they need donations to build them? sure, they use donations from people willing to pay. but is that just because those are expenses the schools found a way to subsidize?

and i guess coaches deserve less pay because we use donations to pay them as well.

The Athletes demanded the premium facilities? Doubt it. That's like saying the students demanded the Gothic University Haul.

Not sure if that stat is more condemning of what has happened to hockey in this country.

It's a bit different to say the athletes take what is offered than to say the demand it. If every school still had a weigh room in the middle area of an indoor track then that's were the football team would lift.

Places like Bama, Oregon, or A&M with their townhouses for football players taking all online classes. That's their admins competing in the market for talent.

We probably agree. ND's Gug has been criticized for being very businesslike and unglamorous; true to our gritty Midwestern roots but that doesn't wow any working class kid from Florida.

It's a bit different to say the athletes take what is offered than to say the demand it. If every school still had a weigh room in the middle area of an indoor track then that's were the football team would lift.

Places like Bama, Oregon, or A&M with their townhouses for football players taking all online classes. That's their admins competing in the market for talent.

We probably agree. ND's Gug has been criticized for being very businesslike and unglamorous; true to our gritty Midwestern roots but that doesn't wow any working class kid from Florida.

Exactly....

So, you have an 18 year old kid that goes to Alabama because he can take a crap while still watching TV. That means if another school wants a kid that thinks the same way (and there are a lot of talented players who think that way) then they need to be able to take a crap and watch TV at those schools too.

That is a form of demanding it.

Now....are these kids willing to give up having more and more perks like that built for them in place of a few thousand dollars thrown their way?

I doubt it. They will demand both.

Now....are these kids willing to give up having more and more perks like that built for them in place of a few thousand dollars thrown their way?

I doubt it. They will demand both.

If this thing ends up panning out, I don't think these kids know what they are in for.

Because employees can get fired for poor performance. Employees have everything get taxed. It's the penultimate, and by this I mean the super-ultimate, example of wanting your cake and eating it too.

• Fire 3

Trevor Siemian opposes unionization: http://espn.go.com/chicago/college-football/story/_/id/10756332/northwestern-wildcats-qb-trevor-siemian-criticizes-former-qb-kain-colter-union-push

"I'm treated far better than I deserve here," Siemian said. "Introducing a third party or somebody else, especially when our main goals when this began ... there were issues with the NCAA that we thought we could address, and [unionizing] was one of the ways to do it. Nothing had been exhausted from within the school. Myself included, nobody ever addressed Fitz or Dr. Phillips about these issues.

"Two of these guys that all of us have come here and trusted so much -- I've known Coach Fitz five or six years now -- to say I don't trust you enough to help us out addressing these changes isn't the right way to go."

Jon Stewart went after this on The Daily Show last night. Was glad to see him not hold back words for the NCAA, but was also disappointed, because most of his points were predicated upon the false idea that student athletes, specifically that guard from UCONN that said "hungry nights" every other sentence to reporters, are not receiving enough meals or assistance outside of their tuition/room& board.

the daily show tends to drop the ball on stories outside of their wheelhouse (which is mostly just lampooning the media and critiquing politics). especially sports; even if i agree with them, i feel like they are missing the point.

When they showed the cut up clip of that UCONN player saying "hungry nights" like 8,000 times I got excited and was really hoping they would play off of that instead of rushing to his defense. Oh well.