Mel Kiper give Huskers mad props!!

chuckd

I was listening to ESPN radio at about 12:30 today and they were talking to Mel Kiper (draft expert) about what teams that finished in the lower part of the top 25 this year that could finish much higher next year. Well first he talks about South Carolina for about 30 seconds, then he starts in on the HUSKERS.

He talks about them for a couple of minutes and says with the job of recruiting John Blake is doing and with the players understanding the WCO better, this team could be a legitimate top 10 team next year. The other guy on there brought up the fact that a lot of people were calling for Callahan's head after last year and Kiper said that happens when change is made and fans just need to be patient and that the program is definitely on the right track. He also talked about the infusion of JUCO talent and how with this dramatic of a change that immediate help is needed.

He also said that he really likes Zac Taylor and has him in his top 5 QB's for next year. He also talked about how important ZT is to this offense and how JD just wasn't what Callahan was looking for but instead of changing his offense to suit the QB he hoped that Dailey could grow in it and that way at least the rest of the offense could start to get a grasp.

With all the crap the Big 12 gets from ESPN I just thought it was nice that someone finally gives a little props to the Huskers.

:restore2

I know a lot of people don't like Mel but he is pretty damn accurate when it comes to draft/player analysis. I don't know much about his history of college TEAM predictions though.

partly, I want to dislike the guy. but he seems to be right with most of what he says on draft day (even when he's a jerk about it). so i CAN'T dislike him.

case in point. Michael Booker gets drafted 11th overall by the Falcons a few years ago and Kiper goes off on why Booker went WAY too high and how he was going to be a bust, etc, etc. Chris Berman actually had to interupt him to say something like "hey, lets not forget this is an importan day for a lot of these young men..." in other words: lay off.

I was pissed that kiper trashed Booker the way he did right after Booker's name was called. but of course, what happened?? he was dead on. unfortunately Booker never even remotely lived up to a 11th overall selection.

as far as bias. from what i've seen, I don't think he's capable of it.

Taylor in his top 5 for next year? now that is something to think about...recognition from someone like that is pretty nice to have.

I should probably mention that it is "top 5 SENIOR QB's" and I believe it is his top 5 projections for the NFL draft.

So in other words, I'm not sure if he thinks Taylor is one of the top 5 QB"s in the nation next year, but he believes he is in the top 5 as far as NFL potential goes, either way it is pretty nice recognition for a guy that was playing JUCO ball a year ago.

Taylor in his top 5 for next year? now that is something to think about...recognition from someone like that is pretty nice to have.

I should probably mention that it is "top 5 SENIOR QB's" and I believe it is his top 5 projections for the NFL draft.

So in other words, I'm not sure if he thinks Taylor is one of the top 5 QB"s in the nation next year, but he believes he is in the top 5 as far as NFL potential goes, either way it is pretty nice recognition for a guy that was playing JUCO ball a year ago.

yeah that clears it up a bunch, but even if it is top 5 seniors...still a shocking thing to have for nebraska...I mean a passing QB for us being rated that high? unheard of...

I was gonna start a thread on Zac Taylor and his NFL potential before the alamo bowl but didnt wanna get off track before the big game. He had a solid year this year, but next year is gonna be awesome. He WILL have a better Offensive line, and we lose nobody as far as recievers go, only gain some studs. Cory Ross has some big shoes that need to be filled despite his shorter stature though, he picked up a lot of pass rushers.... i'm confident our young rb's will step up, BJAX will be healthier too. You add it all up, i dont see how Zac Taylor (Barring injury) and our RBs wont have a killer senior year, they will feed of one anothers success.

How awesome will it be to see a Nebraska QB playing on sundays, in the QB position? And im sure when they do starting lineups in those NFL games Zac will be proud to say from THE university of Nebraska.

I could see Zack in the NFL for sure. In fact I will fully admit I have had to go back and re-watch some of the throws that Zack made in the Bowl game.

Some fantastic throws that demonstrated he can throw the quick / deep outs, descent touch on fade routes (though he missed the one but was under big time pressure) and my favorite of mine watching him throw is over the middle. Puts enough on it to get it there, but enough touch to loft it over the lb's........very nice.

Also seems to throw to the flats well to the RB's........

Actually after watching him play with another year with our wr, te, and rb's........we should be VERY solid next year with him at the helm.

Actually wouldn't surprise me if he plays and starts in the NFL someday. We will see though......time will tell.

Weasel

While Zac certainly has a lot to do with the Huskers performance this year on offense, there are areas that could use some work. would like to see him gain some accuracy and consistency. I have confidence that he can continue to get better.

He is great at managing the game and that's really invaluable.

I'm surprised someone with ESPN would say anything remotely good about the Huskers! :blink: I was very impressed this year with the way Taylor stayed in the pocket and took the hit but still delivered the ball. However I don't want to see him take any more of those hits next year. He needs to move a little in the pocket but I will say he is one TOUGH SOB!!! :thumbs

While Zac certainly has a lot to do with the Huskers performance this year on offense, there are areas that could use some work. would like to see him gain some accuracy and consistency. I have confidence that he can continue to get better.

He is great at managing the game and that's really invaluable.

speaking of Zac, what have you heard about his younger brother?