NFL Combine 2014.

Fuzzy

4.4 for Q!!

He should be moved off the free agent list now I would guess. That should rocket him up, as long as he doesn't drop a bunch of passes.

For perspective the B1G best wr "prospect" according to many, Allen Robinson, ran a 4.61.

I just want to get this straight:

When I bring up a 40 time for a recruit and explain how it concerns me because it's far slower than the average, you and others exclaim "The 40. Most overhyped worthless thing there is." -Paul Crewe. "Coaches and scouts only care about production, a 40 time means absolutely nothing." BUT, when that 40 time is in favor of a Nebraska player, it's the greatest thing ever!!! "He is totally going to get drafted because of his 40 time!! He draft stock is rising!!! Production means nothing, it's all about that speed!"

Just makes me laugh. Now everyone (Mavric, PC, RRJRW), go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong, which will likely require a 100% complete opposite argument you have previously made to tell me I was wrong in another dispute. Just make sure you keep good notes to ensure you know which side of the argument you are on this time around.

• Fire 2

Good post. I think most would agree, however, that the 40 time isn't everything...on the other hand, the incredible size/speed/strength combo Quincy is putting up is bound to turn heads. Big receivers (or corners) who can run? How common is that? As Severe points out though, Quincy could've really used the opportunity to catch in front of coaches. So is anyone really saying athleticism is everything?

As fans though, we do have the tendency to see things through rose-tinted shades. That's true enough.

Good post. I think most would agree, however, that the 40 time isn't everything...on the other hand, the incredible size/speed/strength combo Quincy is putting up is bound to turn heads. Big receivers (or corners) who can run? How common is that? As Severe points out though, Quincy could've really used the opportunity to catch in front of coaches. So is anyone really saying athleticism is everything?

As fans though, we do have the tendency to see things through rose-tinted shades. That's true enough.

I'm totally in the camp that says Quincy's 40 time was a big deal! That is rare and should definitely help his draft status - no where have I ever said different.

But also, if we get a recruit who is 180 pounds and runs an electronic timed 4.9, I think it's ridiculous that I get absolutely demolished for saying that is concerning to me. I have been on the same side the whole time: I think 40 time is something that can help evaluate a player and a guy who runs a 4.4 at 225 pounds will generally be a better player than a 165 pound guy who runs a 5.4 40.

When I bring up a 40 time for a recruit and explain how it concerns me because it's far slower than the average, you and others exclaim "The 40. Most overhyped worthless thing there is." -Paul Crewe. "Coaches and scouts only care about production, a 40 time means absolutely nothing." BUT, when that 40 time is in favor of a Nebraska player, it's the greatest thing ever!!! "He is totally going to get drafted because of his 40 time!! He draft stock is rising!!! Production means nothing, it's all about that speed!"

Just makes me laugh. Now everyone (Mavric, PC, RRJRW), go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong, which will likely require a 100% complete opposite argument you have previously made to tell me I was wrong in another dispute. Just make sure you keep good notes to ensure you know which side of the argument you are on this time around.

There is so much gathering from different conversations and trying to present it as one argument that I barely know where to start. But here are a couple points.

1 - 40 times at the combine really don't compare to recruit 40 times. At the combine, everyone is in the same, controlled environment being timed in an unbiased fashion. Unless a recruit's 40 time is from one of the HS combines, it's tough to know whether it's legit or not.

2 - The 40 is an easy-to-understand number and people think they know what a "good" 40 time is so it gets talked about a lot. Actually, it's one of the least-meaningful stats out there. WRs and DBs can help or hurt themselves depending on their 40 time. But unless it's quite a bit different from expected, it's not that remarkable. I don't think many expected QE to be the 11th fastest WR at the combine, so it stands out.

3 - The 40 really tells you nothing about the football skill for most positions. What good does it do to have one OL run 0.1 faster than another OL? Lineman makes basically no difference. LBs, not much. RBs, maybe a little but again, unless it's way high or low, not much. QBs maybe a little but not much. unlees it's really fast.

4 - The other reason recruit 40s don't matter as much is because they're still in all different phases of physical development and weight training. By the time they get to the combine, most are basically done growing and have had 3-5 years in a college weight program. When a kid is 16-17 years old, coaches are still trying to project how much more he'll develop, grow and adjust to not being the best player on the field. By the time they get to be 22-23 years old, most of that has been figured out and they have a lot game film to evaluate against similar competition.

4.4 for Q!!

He should be moved off the free agent list now I would guess. That should rocket him up, as long as he doesn't drop a bunch of passes.

For perspective the B1G best wr "prospect" according to many, Allen Robinson, ran a 4.61.

Fail to see how a comparison of the perceived best wr draft prospect from the B1G running a slower 40 than Q sports you're claim. In fact it would support those that don't freak out over slower 40 times. Don't believe I called for the erecting of statutes for Q. So nice try, come back again with something a little more concrete next time before calling posters out.

There is so much gathering from different conversations and trying to present it as one argument that I barely know where to start. But here are a couple points.

1 - 40 times at the combine really don't compare to recruit 40 times. At the combine, everyone is in the same, controlled environment being timed in an unbiased fashion. Unless a recruit's 40 time is from one of the HS combines, it's tough to know whether it's legit or not.

2 - The 40 is an easy-to-understand number and people think they know what a "good" 40 time is so it gets talked about a lot. Actually, it's one of the least-meaningful stats out there. WRs and DBs can help or hurt themselves depending on their 40 time. But unless it's quite a bit different from expected, it's not that remarkable. I don't think many expected QE to be the 11th fastest WR at the combine, so it stands out.

3 - The 40 really tells you nothing about the football skill for most positions. What good does it do to have one OL run 0.1 faster than another OL? Lineman makes basically no difference. LBs, not much. RBs, maybe a little but again, unless it's way high or low, not much. QBs maybe a little but not much. unlees it's really fast.

4 - The other reason recruit 40s don't matter as much is because they're still in all different phases of physical development and weight training. By the time they get to the combine, most are basically done growing and have had 3-5 years in a college weight program. When a kid is 16-17 years old, coaches are still trying to project how much more he'll develop, grow and adjust to not being the best player on the field. By the time they get to be 22-23 years old, most of that has been figured out and they have a lot game film to evaluate against similar competition.

To your preface, no, this is all taken from one thread in a span of about 10 posts. Then I'm comparing those posts to ones in this thread. It's a very simple comparison between two threads, don't get overwhelmed.

As for the rest of our points, I largely agree but have never argued against most of those points. But regarding point #4, if that is how you feel, then I hope to see you start calling out people if we get a 4 star CB from Florida who runs a 4.35. I want to make sure I see the board's newest mod say:

"stop it right now, guys, we don't know if this was in a controlled, unbiased environment! Also, he is in a different physical development stage of some of the other guys. This means absolutely nothing."

To your preface, no, this is all taken from one thread in a span of about 10 posts. Then I'm comparing those posts to ones in this thread. It's a very simple comparison between two threads, don't get overwhelmed.

As for the rest of our points, I largely agree but have never argued against most of those points. But regarding point #4, if that is how you feel, then I hope to see you start calling out people if we get a 4 star CB from Florida who runs a 4.35. I want to make sure I see the board's newest mod say:

"stop it right now, guys, we don't know if this was in a controlled, unbiased environment! Also, he is in a different physical development stage of some of the other guys. This means absolutely nothing."

What the hell happened to you with 40 times, man. Holy sh#t. Let it go.

I think 40 time is something that can help evaluate a player and a guy who runs a 4.4 at 225 pounds will generally be a better player than a 165 pound guy who runs a 5.4 40.

So since you're basically saying that 40 times are everything, would you care to explain how Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and Brandon Kinnie ran a 4.45? And how that slow guy is in the HOF while that speedy is now answering phones for a living?

Just face it buddy, the evidence is completely clear that 40 times are completely meaningless and say nothing about how that player is going to turn out. You're just as likely to make the NFL as a 5.9 40 guy than as a 4.4 40 guy. There's so many other important factors that make the 40 100% useless.

• Fire 1

Yep, that's exactly what I said. You can tell by the part where I didn't say that.

• Fire 1

I think 40 time is something that can help evaluate a player and a guy who runs a 4.4 at 225 pounds will generally be a better player than a 165 pound guy who runs a 5.4 40.

So since you're basically saying that 40 times are everything, would you care to explain how Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and Brandon Kinnie ran a 4.45? And how that slow guy is in the HOF while that speedy is now answering phones for a living?

Just face it buddy, the evidence is completely clear that 40 times are completely meaningless and say nothing about how that player is going to turn out. You're just as likely to make the NFL as a 5.9 40 guy than as a 4.4 40 guy. There's so many other important factors that make the 40 100% useless.

Jerry Rice played for Bill Walsh and with Joe Montana right? Yep, using Brandon Kinnie and Jerry Rice in the same sentence to prove a point about success at WR. Seems logical.

The evidence is completely clear. Brandon Kinnie- fast- Not in NFL. Jerry Rice-Slower-NFL HOF. Yep, simple as that, speed equals insurance salesmen.