*****OFFICIAL 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Discussion Thread*****

GSG

It's much harder to get a good, consistent start with the four man team, because everyone has to hit the sled together, then they have to pile in, etc. The sleds are bigger, so navigating it down the same track as the two man sleds is different just because of that, but also because the weight dynamic has changed and the speeds are greater.

The US hadn't medaled in both in the same Olympics (on the men's side) in something like 60 years. I think only six drivers have taken the gold in both two man and four man bobled in a single Olympics, and bobsled has been included in most of the Winter Olympics throughout history. So you can see it's definitely not the same.

I believe they used to do larger bobsled teams, like five or six man, but it was reduced to four at some point. More mass generally means more speed, and they're at the limit of where they want to be with speed right now to keep it as safe as reasonably possible. Longer sleds may run into safety issues with how courses are designed, too, but I'm not sure about that.

And at some point, it becomes redundant. While there would be differences in six man as compared to four man, you've already introduced those types of differences in jumping from two man to four man. So the challenges one must overcome are of the same nature, hence the redundancy.