Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

I think you misunderstand my position. A gay persons sin is no worse than mine, but when you want protected status for your sin, you end up using the govt to infringe upon others rights. If you don't believe me, go read about the christian baker in Washington who is being sanctioned by the state because they don't want to provide a wedding cake for a same sex marriage.

This is not just an unfortunate unintended consequence of these laws, this is exactly what the leftists behind these ordinances want, to drive, or more accuratly, BULLY, christians out of business &the public square.

As someone who professes to be a Christian, your argument here is insulting and completely off mark.

• Fire 3

This was originally in Husker Football, and I started trying to dig out the religious claptrap that got glommed on to this player's story, but to do so would have meant ripping the thread to shreds, and the conversations would have been too difficult to follow. So the whole thing got moved to P&R where it belongs.

Mod Hat removed for the comments below. These represent my thoughts on the subject, and is in no way to be considered the practice or policy of HuskerBoard:

The day we have a thread discussing homosexuality without some misguided Christian coming in thinking they have to explain to everyone how this is a sin will be a great day, indeed.

Here are some quick tips to those specific Christians among us who cannot let a thread like this pass without throwing their religion into it:

1) The whole world does not believe in your religion. Your religious beliefs have no place in football discussions unless that topic is specifically about a coach or player engaged in some overtly religious act, in much the same way as that player's skin color, favorite music, dining preferences, etc have no place. If you think you need to comment on someone's sin, don't. That's what you believe, but when your belief can easily be seen as hate speech, it's a good idea to keep it to yourself.

2) If you see a discussion on homosexuality and you throw your religion into the conversation, but you don't do the same when any/every other sin is discussed (recent case in point: Avery Moss) then you are a hypocrite. Don't display your hypocrisy for everyone to see. We're not interested. See point 1.

3) If you're a Christian and you think you need to throw your religion into a conversation, before you do, read the 8th Commandment (Martin Luther's Meaning is a great read, too). Then read Matthew 7: 1-5. Then read Romans 2: 1-5. Then, if you feel that you need to discuss publicly how something someone else does is a sin, go read them all again. Keep doing so until the fit passes. Your god does not authorize you to denounce your fellow man, but commands you to love him. You are not called to stand on a pulpit and rail against him, because that will harden his heart. You are commanded to show him love, and to keep loving him, and if he gives you scorn in return you are to "turn the other cheek" so that he can do it to you again, all the while you're showing him the love that Christ taught you. And if ultimately he will not see things your way, you are to leave, and dust your shoes of his presence.

There are more tips, tricks and hints, but this should suffice for now.

• Fire 1

I came late to this discussion, well after the ron brown-religion tangent began. I only wanted to state that I agreed with ron brown.

For the record, I'm glad the kid had a positive experience @ NU & if I had a kid there @ the same time, would hope he would have contributed to the positive experience.

Sorry I don't get the avery moss reference, I don't live in neb and don't read alot of threads on huskerboard.

Also sorry if my comments were seen as hateful, it wasn't my intent.

I'm probably not great at articulating my point of view inna forum like this(understatement).

But thanks for making me feel as welcome on huskerboard as this kid did in the lockerroom (sarcasm)

I don't think your comments were viewed as "hateful," at least they weren't by me. They stem from your faith, at least how you interpret it, and I think you're being honest and sincere about them. I just disagree with them.

You're not alone in having trouble articulating things in a forum - it's black-and-white words on a screen, without benefit of tone, inflection, body language or any of the other necessary nonverbal communication cues we rely on in real conversations. We all have this problem, so don't think you're being looked at poorly because of this (or, if you are, you shouldn't be).

So... stick around if you like. You're more than welcome, and different viewpoints, while not always agreed-upon, are welcome.

Question for you, though - let's say you have a son, and let's say he comes out to you like this kid did just before he goes to college. How would you react? Do you think your view on the subject would remain the same, or would you change? What if he had some other "defect" (to use a poor term for how you seem to see homosexuality), would that defect change how you feel about him?

I have a daughter, so I'll use that as the example. I would tell her I love her and engaging in same sex relationships is not how God would want her to live her life. If she still chose to, I wouldn't stop loving her, but would not allow them to share the same bedroom in my home.

This is exactly how we treat our older daughter who sleeps with her fiancé. When they come to our home for the holidays, it's different bedrooms for them.

My question for you is, do you think my daughter would be as welcome as this kid was @ NU if her world view is the same as mine?

• Fire 1

It would depend on how she expressed her worldview. Let's say she's straight and sees homosexuality as a sin. She goes to class, goes to school activities, meets friends, does things and basically lives her life like any other college student. She sees things she disagrees with, that are sinful according to her faith, and she even sees gay couples walking around campus (let's say those gay couples all wear signs saying, "We're gay" so she can tell).

If she sees differences in people, thinks that they are right or wrong, and doesn't thrust those thoughts on other people, I have no doubt she'll be as accepted as any other student, presuming good hygiene and musical tastes, of course.

If she does thrust those thoughts on people she sees as sinning, she'll likely not be accepted. Reactions will differ, likely in correlation to the level of exertion with which she inflicts her beliefs onto other people.

Society isn't going to judge her for what's in her head or heart. It's going to judge her for what comes out of her lips. If she's arrogant enough to believe she has the right to tell someone else they are sinning, unsolicited, she's going to have a bad time, because she has no such right.

Put it another way. Let's say she drives a Dodge. She was raised in a Dodge family, she believes in all things Dodge as better than any other vehicle, and knows this in her heart to be true. She goes to college and sees people driving Fords. She goes to those Ford drivers and attempts to show them the error of their ways, that they are driving an inferior car, and that they need to, because she believes it to be true, stop driving Fords and start driving the make of car she prefers.

It's absurd to think she should do this. Anyone doing this would be looked upon as perhaps not quite right in the head. But that's what she would be doing by expressing her religious beliefs at someone she perceives to sin. And she'll get that same reaction, and she should.