Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

What glaring inequalities do homosexuals face?

This can't be a serious question.

Can it?

I'll respond to your question with a few questions of my own:

Can someone legally be fired from their job due to their sexual orientation?

Can someone be denied housing due to their sexual orientation?

Can homosexuals get married to their romantic partners?

Here is the one that, as a teenager, made me wake up to the issue.

In college, I worked in an intensive care unit in a major hospital. In that unit, only family members are allowed to see visit the patient. Under strict interpretation of that, a gay person would not be allowed to visit their partner even if they were dying in that unit.

Anyone who thinks this is really a non issue really doesn't understand the situation.

• Fire 3

Can it?

In college, I worked in an intensive care unit in a major hospital. In that unit, only family members are allowed to see visit the patient. Under strict interpretation of that, a gay person would not be allowed to visit their partner even if they were dying in that unit.

Anyone who thinks this is really a non issue really doesn't understand the situation.

If I had dated a gal and we lived together for 15 years and just decided not to get married, would she be allowed to see me, or vice versa? Cuz I have heard of such a thing like that too. Not to derail your train of thought there, but I just want to point out that something like that is not a homosexual situation. It's a "no commonsense, do it by the book" one. It's bullsh#t regardless.

If I had dated a gal and we lived together for 15 years and just decided not to get married, would she be allowed to see me, or vice versa? Cuz I have heard of such a thing like that too. Not to derail your train of thought there, but I just want to point out that something like that is not a homosexual situation. It's a "no commonsense, do it by the book" one. It's bullsh#t regardless.

This is a very key distinction, not just with homosexuals, but with any oppressed group.

The argument shouldn't be that homosexuals, minorities, women, or whoever are being actively and intentionally oppressed, because for the most part they really aren't (with exceptions of individual morons and ignorant groups).

The argument is, rather, that our institutions and systems are set up in a way that privileges other groups more, usually white heterosexual males. I can see why someone might think women or gay people don't suffer from inequality if they look at this from the perspective of, "Well, it's not like anyone is attacking or persecuting them!" People just need to see that while our culture might not be actively against minority groups, it's still institutionally favors and benefits majorities in ways they often don't even realize they are privileged to.

This is a very key distinction, not just with homosexuals, but with any oppressed group.

The argument shouldn't be that homosexuals, minorities, women, or whoever are being actively and intentionally oppressed, because for the most part they really aren't (with exceptions of individual morons and ignorant groups).

The argument is, rather, that our institutions and systems are set up in a way that privileges other groups more, usually white heterosexual males. I can see why someone might think women or gay people don't suffer from inequality if they look at this from the perspective of, "Well, it's not like anyone is attacking or persecuting them!" People just need to see that while our culture might not be actively against minority groups, it's still institutionally favors and benefits majorities in ways they often don't even realize they are privileged to.

I think that falls under my "no commonsense, do it by the book. It's all bullsh#t" disclaimer. yes? :D

Can it?

Mr. A, I agree with you on the "no common sense" stuff. Not enough of it in the world, sadly never will be. However, I highlighted the section of the previous post that makes your example totally different than a homosexual couple that wanted to be married but couldn't be.

EDIT: I am assuming the couple that BRB is talking about would have been married if allowed. I will admit I am making assumptions, but it is to illustrate the inequalities some people face. In your scenario, the couple CHOSE not to be married...

Not at all. But if we're talking Ron Brown, we're talking some pretty deep, dark prejudice delivered in a very public and judgmental way.

You should try to accept people the way they are, and not be intolerant of those who don't hold your same opinions and beliefs that you do. Ron Brown should be free to be who he wants to be and live his life as he sees fit without passing any of your litmus tests or being bound by you values system of right and wrong.

Lighten up and try to get along with people who are different than you.

• Fire 2

Not at all. But if we're talking Ron Brown, we're talking some pretty deep, dark prejudice delivered in a very public and judgmental way.

You should try to accept people the way they are, and not be intolerant of those who don't hold your same opinions and beliefs that you do. Ron Brown should be free to be who he wants to be and live his life as he sees fit without passing any of your litmus tests or being bound by you values system of right and wrong.

You don't seem to understand bigotry, or how/why people speak against it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall that there was an attempt to get legislation in place to make it illegal for employers to discriminate based on sexual orientation. Ron wasn't saying they don't deserve the same right as everyone else. He was saying that they don't deserve "special" protection, which is exactly what the legislation would have been.

Yep. I think he was well intentioned but misguided on ths one.

Really? He was well-intentioned when he said "The question I have for you all is, like Pontius Pilate, what are you going to do with Jesus? Ultimately, if you don't have a relationship with him, and you don't really have a Bible-believing mentality, really, anything goes... At the end of the day, it matters what God thinks most."

Brown said he isn't "picking on" homosexuals. He said a gay agenda has cropped up in American culture and that he is merely responding to it.

He said gays and lesbians do not deserve the same protections as groups that historically have been discriminated against, such as blacks and women.

"The scriptures teach that blacks were created by God, that women were created by God, but that homosexuals ... that is not what God had in mind at all," Brown said.

http://espn.go.com/c...anti-gay-stance

All class, coach. All class.

• Fire 2
I like how Brown says " Christians throughout the world, he pointed out, have been murdered because of their faith." How quickly Christians forget that they did murder other people for the faiths to make Christianity what it is today.

Personally, I think the ultimate irony is a black man using the Bible to advocate for the institutional discrimination against a particular group of people.

• Fire 2

The irony here is staggering.

• Fire 2