Wide Receiver Notes

Marlowe was one of the faster guys on the team. Maybe he didn't "look" fast to some.

I like Marlowe, and what he brought to the team....but speed - he was lacking. Especially after the injury.

Even a quote from him I remember - "There's so much speed on our team, and I think I have a little bit of speed sometimes, too," He knew he wasn't the quickest guy, he was a technique/fundamental guy.

Edit: On draftscout they have him w/ a 4.59 40yrd.

Here's some stuff I found but a couple highlights:

Q: Who are the fastest players on the team?

A: "I would say Kenny Bell, or Tyler Wullenwaben," Meredith said in reference to sophomore Tyler Wullenwaber, a walk-on wideout from Utica.
(We forgive Meredith for slipping up on Wullenwaber's last name; we're all just now learning about the walk-on).
"Marlowe's up there, too," Meredith added.

Quote from: NIdahohusker on April 09, 2012, 11:13:54 PM

Quote from: Solly on April 09, 2012, 11:03:49 PM
Quote from: NIdahohusker on April 09, 2012, 08:54:39 PM
He looks quick enough to be among the fastest in the 10 yard dash, but not the 40.
You're incorrect.
Go to North Stadium, take the tour, and look at the posted times.
Same me the trip, am I wrong about the 10 yd time or the 40 yd time?
He's among the fastest in both, as well as the Pro Agility Run.
(But the tour is terrific, and well worth the trip!)

Jamal had 1 catch, 3 catches, 2 catches, 2 catches, 5 catches, 0 catches and 2 catches in his first seven games. More production than the second half of his freshman year but let's not think he was setting the world on fire.

Especially when most of the competition was Chattanooga, Fresno State, Washington, Wyoming, and Minnesota.

I like Turner and think he is one heck of an athlete. I respect him as he obviously has more responsibilities off the field than the average football player/college student and he seems to be a straight up guy taking care of business.

However, this just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle. Remember all the fans so pissed off when he was a true freshman demanding he be on the field because..."You just put the best athletes out there and let them play". "It doesn't matter if they know the entire play book. He will just make plays".

There is more to this game than just athleticism. He has admitted himself.

Turner as a true freshman was the leading receiver on the team at the time. Then he made a comment after the Minnesota game that kinda threw his QB under the bus and disappeared. It came out in the ensuing weeks that 1) he was running lazy routes and had a bad work ethic in practice, 2) he had come down with multiple illnesses, 3) he was suffering from multiple various injuries.

That was a little too much explanation, if you ask me, and a prominent poster on another board who isn't always right but is usually well informed remains convinced from (I believe) watching the ensuing practices that Jamal was explicitly punished for his comments, even though I think Taylor made similar under-the-bus comments about his WRs after that game, and the team even adopted a mocking "Jamal Drill".

If true, the fan perception of Jamal as anything less than a team player and hard worker is disappointing to me. Not for nothing was Jamal one of the players Bill Belicheck was here to see when he came around a year or two ago. And yet, every time his name comes up he'll get a few put down comments.

But, that said, I have no complaints about Westy locking down the slot position. Our offense has not been much of a YAC short passing offense anyway, and we have a lot of talented bodies for every WR position on the field. Some of these younger guys are going to end up being really good. I do hope Jamal rebounds from his 2013 campaign and makes a mark in his final year, though, wherever that is.

Zoogs, I've heard these same stories before from other prominent posters on other boards. Not only that, but a certain story was getting around that alluded to a certain QB purposefully throwing errant, poor passes to Jamal during practice. This story came from the same posters that discussed the "Jamal drill." It really really irked me for a while, but I let it go before the 2013 season started because ya just can't believe everything you read on the net. If those stories are actually true though, it tells me that there are some serious problems between Jamal and some of the coaches. Yes, it is a bit of a conspiracy....but not just one poster has mentioned this before. In addition, if said story is true, it tells me even more about some of the coaches (which worries me a bit). I will always love and respect what Taylor has done with his time here at Nebraska...all the wins, all the records broken, the amazing runs and comebacks....However, I did draw a sigh of relief after the 2013 season was over knowing that Tommy and others would be taking over the throne as the starting QB.

I have had this feeling for few years now that the relationship with Taylor and NEB has brewed some systemic problems that not only affected certain players, but the team and coaching staff as a whole. I felt that the team had a new "mojo" so to speak once Taylor was out of the picture in 2013. It gets to me a bit that I feel that way after all the team has went through with Taylor, the ups and the downs. Mods can move this conversation to the rumorville if they would like....just stating some things that I have read and kept to myself on this board for a while. I will miss Taylor and amazing things he has done with his time here, but now it's a new era....and I hope some if not all the baggage that was created in the past, has moved far far away from this team. My lil, trivial story ends here ha.

I think just keep in mind impressions can always be wrong. For instance, Jamal may have been punished for saying things to the media, but whether that was unfair or uneven treatment is a subjective matter.

One thing Jamal said recently though that I really, really like is how the team is sick of going 9-4. I think we're seeing a new vibe and mojo from the team, as you say, and no matter what the coaches do, you have to get it from the players, too. So that's great.

• Fire 1

One thing Jamal said recently though that I really, really like is how the team is sick of going 9-4.

I think we all have a tendency forget about this. It can't be easy making adjustments, working to get better, and seeing the same results year after year.

It's exactly why they need our support and not our snarky, negative comments about their mistakes.

The good news for Jamal is there's 2 WR spots up for grabs, and he has more experience than anyone else battling for them. So if his talent level is, in fact, greater than what he's demonstrated on the field, he has to have a great chance at locking one of those positions down. Unless, of course, there is a conspiracy (tehe).

One thing Jamal said recently though that I really, really like is how the team is sick of going 9-4.

I think we all have a tendency forget about this. It can't be easy making adjustments, working to get better, and seeing the same results year after year.

It's exactly why they need our support and not our snarky, negative comments about their mistakes.

What we say on here has absolutely no bearing on how a player performs.

What we say on here has absolutely no bearing on how a player performs.

Oh

I agree with those (Sam M.) who say they see too many drops in practice. Has to be cleaned up.

1:55pm - 16 Aug 14

Tweet by Steve sipple

Reply when asked if it was throw instead of catching

@NickESPN1480 Always a factor, but I've just seen too many "catchable" passes hit the ground