Wide Receiver Notes

Mid-Spring analysis via OWH:

Allen and Burtch battling for the starting spot opposite Bell.

Seems like Westerkamp actually has the upper hand on Turner for the starting Slot position.

Bell has more catches than the rest of the WRs combined. He needs 33 catches for 579 yards to be the all-time Husker leader in both.

When Alonzo Moore comes back is he battling Allen and Burtch's spot or Kenny Bell's?

When Alonzo Moore comes back is he battling Allen and Burtch's spot or Kenny Bell's?

Not sure. I would guess behind Bell otherwise that would be quite a jam with three on the other side. But they might move everyone around when the decide on the order.

Both AA and Johnny Stanton taking to Twitter this morning to promote Moore and say he's going to make some plays this year.

Somebody's going to start opposite Bell, and if spring practice is any indication, it'll be either junior Taariq Allen or junior walk-on Sam Burtch. Allen spent last year recovering from an ACL tear but seems to be full speed now. He's been the best receiver this spring — Bell included — running precise routes and catching nearly everything thrown his way.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140329/HUSKERS/140339891

I'd have no problem with Burtch starting opposite Bell. He showed some good things last year. If Allen wins the job, that's great too.

I'd be surprised if Westerkamp doesn't lock down the #3 spot. We've been missing a solid slot receiver since Niles Paul was in that spot (putting him on the outside was a huge mistake imo.)

Am I the only one that is a little surprised Westerkamp doesn't play in the "Z" receiver role? I know he's been working as the "A" or slot guy since last year, but I always saw him as an outside guy athletically as well as being a very good blocker.

He probably doesn't quite fit the mold of the Zs we've had recently. Burtch, Allen and Enunwa are all 6-3 while Westerkamp is "only" 6-0. Pretty similar to Kenny Bell so he could move to the outside at the X spot next year. But it's not a bad thing to have an explosive guy who catches everything working out of the slot.

Am I the only one that is a little surprised Westerkamp doesn't play in the "Z" receiver role? I know he's been working as the "A" or slot guy since last year, but I always saw him as an outside guy athletically as well as being a very good blocker.

He probably doesn't quite fit the mold of the Zs we've had recently. Burtch, Allen and Enunwa are all 6-3 while Westerkamp is "only" 6-0. Pretty similar to Kenny Bell so he could move to the outside at the X spot next year. But it's not a bad thing to have an explosive guy who catches everything working out of the slot.

No, not at all. Lot's of good competition at wr this year. Should make everyone better.

Reports that Turner had his best practice of the spring today. While that is definitely good news, it probably implies that Turner is trailing Westerkamp for the starting slot spot.

Related: It doesn't sound like Turner has been back at QB much since that first day.

Wide receiver Brandon Reilly: He backs up Kenny Bell, technically. It may be worth a look to have Bell and Reilly on the field simultaneously. Bell, Reilly, Sam Burtch and Taariq Allen are the top four outside receivers by some margins, while Jamal Turner and Jordan Westerkamp will tag-team the slot position. That's your top six, with redshirt freshman Kevin Gladney knocking on the door. Of the summer arrivals, I suspect only Monte Harrison can crack that bunch.

OWH

Wide receiver Brandon Reilly: He backs up Kenny Bell, technically. It may be worth a look to have Bell and Reilly on the field simultaneously. Bell, Reilly, Sam Burtch and Taariq Allen are the top four outside receivers by some margins, while Jamal Turner and Jordan Westerkamp will tag-team the slot position. That's your top six, with redshirt freshman Kevin Gladney knocking on the door. Of the summer arrivals, I suspect only Monte Harrison can crack that bunch.

OWH

It is weird that no one is mentioning Alonzo. I know he is hurt, but you have to figure that he may well be the best WR behind Bell.

It is weird that no one is mentioning Alonzo. I know he is hurt, but you have to figure that he may well be the best WR behind Bell.

Maybe. But what has he done?

Burtch showed good hands in games last season. Reilly was ok in limited action last season (about the same as Alonzo) and has gotten good hype this spring. Alonzo seems about the same or perhaps slightly behind these two.

Worried his career here might be defined by injuries. He's had some bad luck.

That and Westerkamp has AMAZING hands in the receiving game. (we don't talk about punts)