Wide Receiver Notes

Yeah....then continue to have gripes no matter who the players and coaches are at Nebraska.

you have no gripes? this program is exactly how you want to see it? just curious - since you called me delusional in another thread...kinda trying to figure out where you stand.

This comment was about griping about true freshman not getting the amount of time on the field that some fans think they should have. It seems like every year fans clammer for some true freshman and just think it is ludicrous that he isn't on the field. Meanwhile, the coaches and players know why he isn't.

The comment in the other thread was about you not thinking major college players (even the most successful ones) don't think about proving and showing the fans how good they are. Again, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill about one sentence one player said when he was extremely disappointed about his situation.

As for the program? There is always room for improvement especially when we haven't won a championship. Yes, everyone knows championships are the main goal, especially the coaches and players. However, I am not a fan who sits around and finds things to complain about. I naturally am an optimistic person and really don't see a reason to constantly find something to complain about when it comes to the Huskers when I use them for entertainment.

Yes, we need to continue improvement on defense. If we are as good of defense as we had at the end of the year last year or better then that's a good thing. I believe we have a chance to be better with the talent we have. If we cut back on turnovers and TA improves on his passing and running the offense, then that's a good thing. Put both of those together and we have a chance be very competitive for a championship. However, I also know there is a lot of luck that goes into winning championships too. Injuries is a large part of that luck.

I like Turner and think he is one heck of an athlete. I respect him as he obviously has more responsibilities off the field than the average football player/college student and he seems to be a straight up guy taking care of business.

However, this just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle. Remember all the fans so pissed off when he was a true freshman demanding he be on the field because..."You just put the best athletes out there and let them play". "It doesn't matter if they know the entire play book. He will just make plays".

There is more to this game than just athleticism. He has admitted himself.

I can understand the freshman year gripes. He tore things up his first 6-7 games (wasn't he the leading receiver there for a while?), then disappeared - meanwhile we had dropped pass after dropped pass by those that "took" his spot. Did he forget the playbook sometime midway through the season?

With freshman, you can't expect them to have the playbook down 100%. If that's required, then we might as well redshirt every one of them. Turner was an impact player the first half of that year. They need to be on the field if you're going to burn the shirt.

IIRC, he wasn't even sure where to line up all the time...pretty sure that may be something he admitted himself later. As far as now goes, I do not see him passing Westerkamp (I said this after SDSU last year). Westerkamp is going to be something pretty special and I can see him doing well in the league if he gets in the right situation, he just doesn't drop the ball. There were some hits last year that he shouldn't have got up from, let alone catch the ball during. Now the way we rotate our WR's Turner is still going to get his shot and I hope he makes the most of it and has a breakout year. Maybe these jet sweeps will get him involved more too.

Sounds like Westerkamp has the slot position pretty well locked up. Turner working mostly with the #2s.

This is pretty interesting. I guess I must have this. I wonder what the deal is with Turner, not saying at all that Westerkamp doesn't deserve it though.

My guess is it comes down to who is more reliable. Clearly that would be Westerkamp.

I like Turner and think he is one heck of an athlete. I respect him as he obviously has more responsibilities off the field than the average football player/college student and he seems to be a straight up guy taking care of business.

However, this just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle. Remember all the fans so pissed off when he was a true freshman demanding he be on the field because..."You just put the best athletes out there and let them play". "It doesn't matter if they know the entire play book. He will just make plays".

There is more to this game than just athleticism. He has admitted himself.

Turner as a true freshman was the leading receiver on the team at the time. Then he made a comment after the Minnesota game that kinda threw his QB under the bus and disappeared. It came out in the ensuing weeks that 1) he was running lazy routes and had a bad work ethic in practice, 2) he had come down with multiple illnesses, 3) he was suffering from multiple various injuries.

That was a little too much explanation, if you ask me, and a prominent poster on another board who isn't always right but is usually well informed remains convinced from (I believe) watching the ensuing practices that Jamal was explicitly punished for his comments, even though I think Taylor made similar under-the-bus comments about his WRs after that game, and the team even adopted a mocking "Jamal Drill".

If true, the fan perception of Jamal as anything less than a team player and hard worker is disappointing to me. Not for nothing was Jamal one of the players Bill Belicheck was here to see when he came around a year or two ago. And yet, every time his name comes up he'll get a few put down comments.

But, that said, I have no complaints about Westy locking down the slot position. Our offense has not been much of a YAC short passing offense anyway, and we have a lot of talented bodies for every WR position on the field. Some of these younger guys are going to end up being really good. I do hope Jamal rebounds from his 2013 campaign and makes a mark in his final year, though, wherever that is.

• Fire 2

So what are we projecting here?

X - after Enunwa's departure . . . Taariq Allen?

Z - HAS to be Bell.

Y/slot - I guess they're saying Westerkamp over Turner, which doesn't really surprise me, sadly.

I am really not sure who is at what position on that outside besides Bell. However the names I think we will see are: Bell, Burtch, Alonzo Moore, Reilly, Allen.

Slot: Westerkamp, Turner, and Pierson-El or Irons.

So what are we projecting here?

X - after Enunwa's departure . . . Taariq Allen?

Z - HAS to be Bell.

Y/slot - I guess they're saying Westerkamp over Turner, which doesn't really surprise me, sadly.

I am really not sure who is at what position on that outside besides Bell. However the names I think we will see are: Bell, Burtch, Alonzo Moore, Reilly, Allen.

Slot: Westerkamp, Turner, and Pierson-El or Irons.

Agree with Warrior. Sounds like Burtch and Moore probably have a slight edge at the spot opposite Bell. But we should see plenty of Reilly and Allen as well.

I like Turner and think he is one heck of an athlete. I respect him as he obviously has more responsibilities off the field than the average football player/college student and he seems to be a straight up guy taking care of business.However, this just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle. Remember all the fans so pissed off when he was a true freshman demanding he be on the field because..."You just put the best athletes out there and let them play". "It doesn't matter if they know the entire play book. He will just make plays". There is more to this game than just athleticism. He has admitted himself.

Turner as a true freshman was the leading receiver on the team at the time. Then he made a comment after the Minnesota game that kinda threw his QB under the bus and disappeared. It came out in the ensuing weeks that 1) he was running lazy routes and had a bad work ethic in practice, 2) he had come down with multiple illnesses, 3) he was suffering from multiple various injuries.That was a little too much explanation, if you ask me, and a prominent poster on another board who isn't always right but is usually well informed remains convinced from (I believe) watching the ensuing practices that Jamal was explicitly punished for his comments, even though I think Taylor made similar under-the-bus comments about his WRs after that game, and the team even adopted a mocking "Jamal Drill".If true, the fan perception of Jamal as anything less than a team player and hard worker is disappointing to me. Not for nothing was Jamal one of the players Bill Belicheck was here to see when he came around a year or two ago. And yet, every time his name comes up he'll get a few put down comments.But, that said, I have no complaints about Westy locking down the slot position. Our offense has not been much of a YAC short passing offense anyway, and we have a lot of talented bodies for every WR position on the field. Some of these younger guys are going to end up being really good. I do hope Jamal rebounds from his 2013 campaign and makes a mark in his final year, though, wherever that is.

Interesting stuff Zoogs. Regardless of what happened, it was interesting to me he was good enough to contribute so early and absolutely looked dynamic at times, and then just fell off the map COMPLETELY. Just disappointing to me that an athlete like that wasn't able to find a spot here. In my opinion, Jamal Turner, Ameer Abduallah, and Charles Jackson are probably the best athletes I've seen at Nebraska in quite a while. Are we hearing anything that makes us believe Turner will at least get a number of reps this season or has he all but vanished?

Interesting stuff Zoogs. Regardless of what happened, it was interesting to me he was good enough to contribute so early and absolutely looked dynamic at times, and then just fell off the map COMPLETELY. Just disappointing to me that an athlete like that wasn't able to find a spot here. In my opinion, Jamal Turner, Ameer Abduallah, and Charles Jackson are probably the best athletes I've seen at Nebraska in quite a while. Are we hearing anything that makes us believe Turner will at least get a number of reps this season or has he all but vanished?

We had Tim Marlowe....don't see why people are shocked (sarcasm)