Fyfe Looking for "Huge" Off-Season

Had the chance to watch Fyfe play a couple times in high school. He was about as good as you'll see in Nebraska. He had arm strength, accuracy both in and out of the pocket, and mobility. I figured he would get an offer from a lower tier D1 school and do very well there. I'm looking forward to see how he's progressed in the spring game.

Granted. I assumed it was for depth considering last years rash of injuries. Jamal has more knowledge than Fyfe but I like his attitude thus far.

You don't know that. Jamal has been playing WR his entire career while Fyfe has been in the QB room and practice every day. Just because someone like Armstrong who is probably more physically gifted is ahead of him, doesn't mean Fyfe doesn't have the same level of knowledge of the offense.

Jamal Turner was a Quarterback when recruited, plus he's been here for 3 years so he knows the playbook better.

This taken from his bio on Huskers.com

Before Nebraska (Sam Houston HS)

Turner came to Nebraska after a prolific high school career at Sam Houston High School in Arlington, Texas. He was one of the nation's top dual-threat quarterbacks for Coach Danny Edelman, racking up more than 10,000 yards of total offense in three years as a starter.

As a senior, Turner rushed for 1,888 yards on 267 carries and 35 rushing touchdowns. Through the air, he completed better than 60 percent of his passes for 1,551 yards and eight touchdowns. His play as a senior earned Turner first-team All-DFW area selection by the Dallas Morning News as a utility player, and he was also an honorable-mention Class 5A all-state pick. Turner produced similar statistics as a junior with 1,809 yards and 19 touchdowns rushing, while averaging better than eight yards per carry. He also threw for better than 1,800 yards and 13 touchdowns and earned second-team All-DFW area honors and second-team 5A all-state honors.

Turner first stepped into the starting quarterback role as a sophomore and posted big passing numbers. He threw for 2,611 yards and 21 touchdowns, while also rushing for better than 400 yards and nine touchdowns. Turner was chosen to play in the Under Armour All-American game in Florida in January, and he showed his all-around ability by lining up at receiver in the game. ESPN ranked Turner among the top 50 overall prospects in the country and as the No. 6 "athlete" in the nation. Rivals.com ranked Turner among the top 140 players in the nation and the top 20 prospects in Texas. Turner only visited Nebraska, but had numerous offers including Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M and USC.

Which...unless I'm missing it...doesn't say anything bout knowing the play book and position as a college QB. He obviously knows the play book inside and out as a WR and yes, he played QB in HS.

That isn't the same as being in the QB room, watching film as a QB and actually practicing as a QB.

Granted. I assumed it was for depth considering last years rash of injuries. Jamal has more knowledge than Fyfe but I like his attitude thus far.

You don't know that. Jamal has been playing WR his entire career while Fyfe has been in the QB room and practice every day. Just because someone like Armstrong who is probably more physically gifted is ahead of him, doesn't mean Fyfe doesn't have the same level of knowledge of the offense.

Jamal Turner was a Quarterback when recruited, plus he's been here for 3 years so he knows the playbook better.

This taken from his bio on Huskers.com

Before Nebraska (Sam Houston HS)

Turner came to Nebraska after a prolific high school career at Sam Houston High School in Arlington, Texas. He was one of the nation's top dual-threat quarterbacks for Coach Danny Edelman, racking up more than 10,000 yards of total offense in three years as a starter.

As a senior, Turner rushed for 1,888 yards on 267 carries and 35 rushing touchdowns. Through the air, he completed better than 60 percent of his passes for 1,551 yards and eight touchdowns. His play as a senior earned Turner first-team All-DFW area selection by the Dallas Morning News as a utility player, and he was also an honorable-mention Class 5A all-state pick. Turner produced similar statistics as a junior with 1,809 yards and 19 touchdowns rushing, while averaging better than eight yards per carry. He also threw for better than 1,800 yards and 13 touchdowns and earned second-team All-DFW area honors and second-team 5A all-state honors.

Turner first stepped into the starting quarterback role as a sophomore and posted big passing numbers. He threw for 2,611 yards and 21 touchdowns, while also rushing for better than 400 yards and nine touchdowns. Turner was chosen to play in the Under Armour All-American game in Florida in January, and he showed his all-around ability by lining up at receiver in the game. ESPN ranked Turner among the top 50 overall prospects in the country and as the No. 6 "athlete" in the nation. Rivals.com ranked Turner among the top 140 players in the nation and the top 20 prospects in Texas. Turner only visited Nebraska, but had numerous offers including Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M and USC.

Which...unless I'm missing it...doesn't say anything bout knowing the play book and position as a college QB. He obviously knows the play book inside and out as a WR and yes, he played QB in HS.

That isn't the same as being in the QB room, watching film as a QB and actually practicing as a QB.

Im sure a Senior WR, recruited as a QB, whose taken snaps at QB this Spring, probably knows a bit about the position. He has been here for 3 years, Im sure hes picked up the QB playbook more than a few times otherwise he wouldnt have gotten any snaps.

• Fire 1

Im Talking actual experience. Jamal has playedin more games than Fyfe. Jamal may be playing WR but he understands the QB position too. And overall he has had more time to learn the offense. If were comparing actual QB knowledge, who knows. Neither one has ever sarted a game as QB.

Jamal has practiced at quarterback in isolated instances every year since he's been here.

The thing is, he's not really practicing to be A quarterback. It's a lot more logical to think he'd be practicing his own specific package of plays as a wildcat QB option (read, a very specific and nuanced set of plays just for him).

Knowing an offense from a quarterback's perspective is a completely different world than knowing it from a receiver perspective. It just is. It's possible that Jamal has some knowledge of the offense as a whole from the QB position, but that'd just be a guess.

Spring football to me has become witnessing Polo, and Landlord always disagreeing with each other. They are literally polar opposites.

This is probably true. He can grow a beard.

So, you have a hairy ass?

No, I'm like one of those cats.

You have feline AIDS?

No, the other kind.

On a total of game experience Jamal blows Fyfe away even if Fyfe is a QB genius. In game experience the scale tips to Jamal. Playbook knowledge and understanding of the offense has to favor Jamal.

Make up your mind what point you are trying to make.

Yes, Jamal has a tremendous edge in game experience. So what?

Would Alex Henery have been a better quarterback than Cody Green because he had several years worth of game experience? Yes, I know that isn't a fair comparison because one is special teams and the other is offense, but comparing wide receivers to quarterbacks is the same idea. They have different perspectives, different coaching, different goals, different drills, different jobs and different responsibilities.

Jamal having game experience does not equate to him having more knowledge as it relates to the quarterback position.

• Fire 1

On a total of game experience Jamal blows Fyfe away even if Fyfe is a QB genius. In game experience the scale tips to Jamal. Playbook knowledge and understanding of the offense has to favor Jamal.

Make up your mind what point you are trying to make.

Yes, Jamal has a tremendous edge in game experience. So what?

Would Alex Henery have been a better quarterback than Cody Green because he had several years worth of game experience? Yes, I know that isn't a fair comparison because one is special teams and the other is offense, but comparing wide receivers to quarterbacks is the same idea. They have different perspectives, different coaching, different goals, different drills, different jobs and different responsibilities.

Jamal having game experience does not equate to him having more knowledge as it relates to the quarterback position.

And, that's my point....thanks.

My original point was that Jamal has more experience. Sorry that got translated wrong. Couple that with the fact he is familiar with the position and has been in the system for three years. Im not really trying to debate anything here, just an opinion. I havent seen enough of Fyfe to make me think he has more knowledge to outweigh Jamals experience. That is all. No need for a crusade.

• Fire 1