Blackshirt Linebackers

Apparently I have muffed up my post pretty badly. Apologies all around. I know you expect more.

Definitely a couple of blown assignments on that last post. Just got to execute and play within the game plan. :)

Seriously though, we are generating good depth at many positions on the defense (DE is in question and CB a little as well). We have more athletes on that side of the ball and some real playmakers. It is a young defense, so with more game experience, we should see them continue to grow within the defense.

God, reading through these position threads just makes me feel like this team is seriously on an upswing. We have finally fully restocked the talent cupboard that Callahan left bare on the defensive side! The only important starters we lost were Ciante and Ankrah, and they both had penchants for underachieving and the occasional blown assignment. Ankrah did turn it on at the end of the year last year, but I don't think he ever lived up to his potential. Recruiting rankings have really skewed the way we view guys' careers vs. the expectations we had for them before they ever stepped on campus.

Anyway, the secondary looked great Saturday, the linebackers are legitimately 4-5 deep in capable starters with some athelticism sprinkled in (Newby/Love off the edge), and of course the DL has Collins, VV, Curry, Maurice, possibly Williams, and of course... King Gregory.

If this D finds a way to start generating some turnovers and the offense gets out of its own way-- and holds on to the ball-- look out for the Huskers this year!!

tumblr_inline_myycka6kC81qb7qbj.jpg

Ndamukong Suh, Prince Amukamara, Barry Turner, Pierre Allen, and Eric Hagg would like a word with you.

Don't forget Dejon Gomes and Phillip Dillard.

God, reading through these position threads just makes me feel like this team is seriously on an upswing. We have finally fully restocked the talent cupboard that Callahan left bare on the defensive side! The only important starters we lost were Ciante and Ankrah, and they both had penchants for underachieving and the occasional blown assignment. Ankrah did turn it on at the end of the year last year, but I don't think he ever lived up to his potential. Recruiting rankings have really skewed the way we view guys' careers vs. the expectations we had for them before they ever stepped on campus.

Anyway, the secondary looked great Saturday, the linebackers are legitimately 4-5 deep in capable starters with some athelticism sprinkled in (Newby/Love off the edge), and of course the DL has Collins, VV, Curry, Maurice, possibly Williams, and of course... King Gregory.

If this D finds a way to start generating some turnovers and the offense gets out of its own way-- and holds on to the ball-- look out for the Huskers this year!!

Ndamukong Suh, Prince Amukamara, Barry Turner, Pierre Allen, and Eric Hagg would like a word with you.

DeJon Gomes was a member of the 2009 class.

Having a hard time following who is playing where with the LBs given all the position switches that have taken place. Can anybody hook a brother up with a projected two deep at the LB spots? Gracias in advance.

From what I've read and understand:

Base 4-3

WILL- Z. Anderson, M. Newby

MIKE- M. Rose/Banderas, Roach

BUCK- Banderas/Santos, C. Love

Nickel

WILL- Z. Anderson

MIKE- Banderas

It sounds like Zaire is the only one with a starting spot pretty much locked, everyone else seems to be fairly even. They have all been playing multiple positions so you could see quite a few different combinations.

• Fire 1

Agree with jsneb, other than I think Newby and Love are switched.

For clarification, it seems like Banderas probably has a starting spot at either MIKE or BUCK and Anderson has the WILL spot. The main question is whether Rose will start at MIKE (moving Bando to BUCK) or Santos will start at BUCK (Bando to MIKE).

• Fire 1

DeJon Gomes was a member of the 2009 class.

Nevermind! Thought he came in with Hagg for some reason. Good catch.

Having a hard time following who is playing where with the LBs given all the position switches that have taken place. Can anybody hook a brother up with a projected two deep at the LB spots? Gracias in advance.

From what I've read and understand:

Base 4-3

WILL- Z. Anderson, M. Newby

MIKE- M. Rose/Banderas, Roach

BUCK- Banderas/Santos, C. Love

Nickel

WILL- Z. Anderson

MIKE- Banderas

It sounds like Zaire is the only one with a starting spot pretty much locked, everyone else seems to be fairly even. They have all been playing multiple positions so you could see quite a few different combinations.

Cool thanks. I like the look of that starting 4-3 lineup.

For clarification, it seems like Banderas probably has a starting spot at either MIKE or BUCK and Anderson has the WILL spot. The main question is whether Rose will start at MIKE (moving Bando to BUCK) or Santos will start at BUCK (Bando to MIKE).

Yeah I couldn't remember on Newby and Love. I did have it the other way and changed it. Funny how you second guess yourself and it always seems like you were right the first time.

Yeah I couldn't remember on Newby and Love. I did have it the other way and changed it. Funny how you second guess yourself and it always seems like you were right the first time.

Who plays a the Mike might be more about what formation they are in from what I can gather from the articles. Rose and Bando are really close, but I get the sense that in a 4-3 Rose would get the nod as he seems to be a bit better against the run and Bando would play in the Nickle as his speed allows him to cover the RB more effectively; apparently Bando has been hard to beat by even Ameer on wheel routes.

FIVE STOCK RISERS

Marcus Newby: We’ll have to wait and see how much the Huskers use the redshirt freshman linebacker in the niche role as a third-down rush end. But as practice went along, it seemed clear that the experimentation could be something much more than that come fall. This is not the time to declare that Newby is going to do what Demorrio Williams did in 2003 as a third-down rush end. But Newby’s freak athleticism was put on display whenever he put his hand on the ground this spring. It’s not just his speed. Newby uses his hands very well, defensive tackle Vincent Valentine will tell you. Newby may be a year or so from being a main contributor at linebacker. That he was able to use those practices to increase his chances of playing a specialized role makes it a spring of accomplishment for him.

LJS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...