LJS | Spring ball halftime: Orange wedges and observations

zoogs

All I know is Mitchell better back up all the talk he dishes out. By the end of the year last year he was getting beat relatively often.

I really don't think its his fault.. He's just not big enough for this level. I like his attitude and all but we will be fine at the CB spot when he graduates.

Yeah, iirc, he didn't so much get beat as he just didn't make plays. Seemed to be in position to make plays, but didn't. Maybe he got out physicalled, so to speak?

Exactly what I was thinking. His body type doesn't allow him to be as physical as our other corners.

All I know is Mitchell better back up all the talk he dishes out. By the end of the year last year he was getting beat relatively often.

I really don't think its his fault.. He's just not big enough for this level. I like his attitude and all but we will be fine at the CB spot when he graduates.

He came up big (no pun intended) against Georgia, didn't he?

If I remember right wasn't that pass tipped or overthrown? Obviously, still a big play.

Yeah, iirc, he didn't so much get beat as he just didn't make plays. Seemed to be in position to make plays, but didn't. Maybe he got out physicalled, so to speak?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Yea he's just not a very big guy, which is his biggest downfall. He's listed on the roster as 5'11" and 160lbs. That's pretty small for a CB.

...I noticed a trend through the first 4-5 games where every time I would get frustrated seeing a corner make a poor play or get beat, as soon as I saw the replay it would be Josh Mitchell.

He got beat constantly early in the season, especially so on corner and out routes. He got better once conference play started, but he looked absolutely awful early in the year.

OK. So perhaps I really just don't remember any of this but can anyone give a few specific examples of him getting beaten?

He came up big (no pun intended) against Georgia, didn't he?

If I remember right wasn't that pass tipped or overthrown? Obviously, still a big play.

I could be wrong but I thought he jumped the route and picked it off. I believe the QB was staring him down, so it was still a mistake by him.

...I noticed a trend through the first 4-5 games where every time I would get frustrated seeing a corner make a poor play or get beat, as soon as I saw the replay it would be Josh Mitchell.

He got beat constantly early in the season, especially so on corner and out routes. He got better once conference play started, but he looked absolutely awful early in the year.

OK. So perhaps I really just don't remember any of this but can anyone give a few specific examples of him getting beaten?

I know he got called for holding a lot because he would try to press bigger receivers, (which is almost all receivers) or bite on a double move.

If you don't think communication is a keypart of being a QB, you're dead wrong. Whether that be communicating plays, communicating areas in need if improvement, communicating as a friend and a leader. Knowing "how" to talk to people will get you a long way in this world in every aspect of life. Quarterbacking an offense full of 18-21 year olds, hell yes you better know how to talk to em', and they'd better respect what you have to say. Not sure what some of you were like when you were that age, but if I didn't think you were worth listening to or you didn't come off to me in the right way, your words were wasted breath.

If you can't even pass off a piddle sh#t Lincoln Journal interview and just feed those guys the answers they want to hear, well then son, you got issues. You got to be smarter than that. It's a game. You give them what they want and you get what you want. You can create problems, or you can brush adversity off like a fly in the outfield. We need guys who don't let adversity become the focus of the team. Guys who push through stuff like that. On a team right now that I feel may pay too much attention to outside negativity, I'd say a smart communicator, a leader, and a no nonsense competitor is exactly what this team needs. Especially at QB. Others tend to follow.

I'd be happy with a QB that makes plays. And doesn't turn the ball over.

If last year is any indication, we don't have that. I couldn't give 2 sh#ts what the QB interviews like, it doesn't make him a great player

Never said it did.

Being a leader and being a good communicator is only part of it. Knowing how to motivate is a big deal when dealing with guys this young. Having a QB that gets that is a bonus and will help take us to the next level. The coaches can't do it all guys. Some of these players have got to set the example and take hold of things. So while you waste your time looking for plays you can bash Mitchell on for getting beat, I love what he and Armstrong bring to the team. We need guys like them out there.

Wins bowl games and good on the mic? Is there anything this kid can't do?

Drive a stick?

walk-talk-chew-gum250.gif

From reading the article, I'm excited about what I'm hearing. The defense sounds like it could be scary, even with the shortage of guys up front.

So is the O line the major point of concern at this point?

Wins bowl games and good on the mic? Is there anything this kid can't do?

Drive a stick?

walk-talk-chew-gum250.gif

From reading the article, I'm excited about what I'm hearing. The defense sounds like it could be scary, even with the shortage of guys up front.

So is the O line the major point of concern at this point?

Hope so because I'm not concerned about it.