LJS | Spring ball halftime: Orange wedges and observations

zoogs

If you don't think communication is a keypart of being a QB, you're dead wrong. Whether that be communicating plays, communicating areas in need if improvement, communicating as a friend and a leader. Knowing "how" to talk to people will get you a long way in this world in every aspect of life. Quarterbacking an offense full of 18-21 year olds, hell yes you better know how to talk to em', and they'd better respect what you have to say. Not sure what some of you were like when you were that age, but if I didn't think you were worth listening to or you didn't come off to me in the right way, your words were wasted breath.

If you can't even pass off a piddle sh#t Lincoln Journal interview and just feed those guys the answers they want to hear, well then son, you got issues. You got to be smarter than that. It's a game. You give them what they want and you get what you want. You can create problems, or you can brush adversity off like a fly in the outfield. We need guys who don't let adversity become the focus of the team. Guys who push through stuff like that. On a team right now that I feel may pay too much attention to outside negativity, I'd say a smart communicator, a leader, and a no nonsense competitor is exactly what this team needs. Especially at QB. Others tend to follow.

ibkv3ti1ofhlvo.gif

No idea what that meant but I laughed my ass off.+1

I was just anticipating that your comment will lead to a thread meltdown, derailing into a long Martinez bash-fest. But really, I found it earlier today, laughed my a$$ off, and was just waiting for an opportunity to use it.

It's not meant to derail, great GIF though. For the love of all that is Holy, not another Martinez bash fest.

If only Josh Mitchell were a few inches taller. He has the attitude and athleticism to be one of the best CBs in the nation, but he's been beat quite a few times in coverage simply because he's so short.

I guess I don't remember him getting beat very often...

Really? I remember the exact opposite.

Before the season started I didn't really have much of a thought towards Mitchell at all, but I noticed a trend through the first 4-5 games where every time I would get frustrated seeing a corner make a poor play or get beat, as soon as I saw the replay it would be Josh Mitchell. Maybe it was just a selective attention span but without any bias I came to the conclusion that he really struggled when asked to do much in pass coverage.

Love the kid's attitude and perspective. I hope he tears it up on the field next year.

If only Josh Mitchell were a few inches taller. He has the attitude and athleticism to be one of the best CBs in the nation, but he's been beat quite a few times in coverage simply because he's so short.

I guess I don't remember him getting beat very often...

He got beat constantly early in the season, especially so on corner and out routes. He got better once conference play started, but he looked absolutely awful early in the year.

Before the season started I didn't really have much of a thought towards Mitchell at all, but I noticed a trend through the first 4-5 games where every time I would get frustrated seeing a corner make a poor play or get beat, as soon as I saw the replay it would be Josh Mitchell. Maybe it was just a selective attention span but without any bias I came to the conclusion that he really struggled when asked to do much in pass coverage.

He got beat constantly early in the season, especially so on corner and out routes. He got better once conference play started, but he looked absolutely awful early in the year.

Perhaps he did get beat more early in the season and I just don't remember them. :dunno

If you don't think communication is a keypart of being a QB, you're dead wrong. Whether that be communicating plays, communicating areas in need if improvement, communicating as a friend and a leader. Knowing "how" to talk to people will get you a long way in this world in every aspect of life. Quarterbacking an offense full of 18-21 year olds, hell yes you better know how to talk to em', and they'd better respect what you have to say. Not sure what some of you were like when you were that age, but if I didn't think you were worth listening to or you didn't come off to me in the right way, your words were wasted breath.

If you can't even pass off a piddle sh#t Lincoln Journal interview and just feed those guys the answers they want to hear, well then son, you got issues. You got to be smarter than that. It's a game. You give them what they want and you get what you want. You can create problems, or you can brush adversity off like a fly in the outfield. We need guys who don't let adversity become the focus of the team. Guys who push through stuff like that. On a team right now that I feel may pay too much attention to outside negativity, I'd say a smart communicator, a leader, and a no nonsense competitor is exactly what this team needs. Especially at QB. Others tend to follow.

I'd be happy with a QB that makes plays. And doesn't turn the ball over.

If last year is any indication, we don't have that. I couldn't give 2 sh#ts what the QB interviews like, it doesn't make him a great player

All I know is Mitchell better back up all the talk he dishes out. By the end of the year last year he was getting beat relatively often.

I really don't think its his fault.. He's just not big enough for this level. I like his attitude and all but we will be fine at the CB spot when he graduates.

All I know is Mitchell better back up all the talk he dishes out. By the end of the year last year he was getting beat relatively often.

I really don't think its his fault.. He's just not big enough for this level. I like his attitude and all but we will be fine at the CB spot when he graduates.

He came up big (no pun intended) against Georgia, didn't he?

Yeah, iirc, he didn't so much get beat as he just didn't make plays. Seemed to be in position to make plays, but didn't. Maybe he got out physicalled, so to speak?