What % of people do you think "lie" on their resume...

I put lie in " " for the following reasons...I want to use "lie" in conjunction with these words

embellish

exaggerate

fib

deny

reword

Let me give you an idea of what I mean...you are in sales...your team sold 96 million dollars worth of "stuff"

- Resume: Managed a sales team with 100 million dollars in sales (Did you lie a bit?)

You manage a team of 47 people

- Resume: Managed a team of 50 people (Did you lie a bit?)

Hiring dates...you are hired June 28 2010

- Resume Hired June of 2010 (did you lie a bit?)

Old salary: 58,750

- Previous salary: 60,000

So, how many people do you think "lie" on their resumes? I honestly think it is darn close to 100%

As an IT recruiter.. i would say it is probably about 30-40% of people who flat out lie and make things up.

people who embelish or maybe mislead--80%

I'm guessing this is about right. The only lie on my resume is that I worked at a job for two months and I quit. I ended up taking another job three weeks later. But I don't list the two-month job, which I guess is a lie.

pinocchio-o.gif

As an IT recruiter.. i would say it is probably about 30-40% of people who flat out lie and make things up.

Can I ask, what do you consider a flat out lie? Like, for IT would be be just flat out lying about a type of coding or something?

I'm guessing this is about right. The only lie on my resume is that I worked at a job for two months and I quit. I ended up taking another job three weeks later. But I don't list the two-month job, which I guess is a lie.

pinocchio-o.gif

Yeah! Exactly! Those two months just kind of "go away", is it a lie, sure, in one way, shape or form...Is it the end of the world...probably not

Can I ask, what do you consider a flat out lie? Like, for IT would be be just flat out lying about a type of coding or something?

Always hard to tell but one big one is that someone lead or managed people.

Or that they used a certain technology and have 5+ years of experience when maybe they were in an environment that it was used and only have 3-4 years of hands on experience.

People always lie about how many years of EXP they have...

Related Question: what % of employers lie about the description of the open position? For instance, "Account Manager" means Sales.

Ha! Also "Marketing" so every hot girl applies with their new marketing degree...and starts pounding out 100 cold calls per day in her knew sales position!

Related Question: what % of employers lie about the description of the open position? For instance, "Account Manager" means Sales.

Ha! Also "Marketing" so every hot girl applies with their new marketing degree...and starts pounding out 100 cold calls per day in her knew sales position!

"Competitive Salary" now means you will have to compete with 100 other people to get paid Jack sh#t.