Ralph Brown says Pelini needs to build better bridge with ex players

Well at least this is a one time thing. It would be wholly another thing if Bo had publicly turned away one of the most storied Nebraska Quarterbacks of all time after he expressed frustration after yet another embarassing loss. I mean, THAT would be Callahan terrotory.

This isn't anything an orange tabby can't fix, I'm guessing.

• Fire 3

Well at least this is a one time thing. It would be wholly another thing if Bo had publicly turned away one of the most storied Nebraska Quarterbacks of all time after he expressed frustration after yet another embarassing loss. I mean, THAT would be Callahan terrotory.

I'm disappointed in how long it took you to come up with this.

In this area Bo is doing probably as much as anybody could ask. The only difference is winning. You can't please everybody. Go 13-1, though, and there's likely a lot less chirping. The other points Ralph made were good, I thought.

It's interesting that the same narrative came around with Callahan. Callahan and ever Pederson (barf?) were probably a lot less sinister than they're often made out to be on this count -- they just didn't succeed.

Remember our very own Pillen? He and I talk quite a bit, and back after 2008 he was talking to me about being in the program, having had the perspective under Callahan and under Pelini. It was a long time ago, so I don't remember it exactly, but he said something along the lines of how things operated and were run were really not all that terribly different between the coaches. Take that for whatever you want.

I'm disappointed in how long it took you to come up with this.

I had things to tend to, yo....

I'm less and less concerned when former players voice concern about not being welcomed back. Bo's job is to coach this years team. Who knows, maybe Bo feels like the former players don't invite him over for dinner often enough. Maybe all it takes is some good ol fashion communication.

I halfway agree with your point. Bo is focused and he should be. I also see a huge benefit of involving former players anytime and as often as possible. Nebraska football is anoint brotherhood and a commitment to each other. A commitment I believe has had enough evidence shown to prove it may be lacking. There are multiple, multiple stories about selfishness and lack of effort from various players. That kind of sh#t just would not fly on any Nebraska team I ever heard of. It's one of the more disappointing things of the Pelini era. The lack of accountabilty and even more so, the apparent hesitation of supposed "leaders" being willing to speak up when needed. Where are the guys reeling in this lack of passion and commitment before it becomes a problem? I keep hearing the lead by example not words crap coming from Bo Pelini coached teams. Well, WTF? Sometimes people don't pick up on examples. What in the hell is so hard about being vocal AND leading by example? For Christs sake, if you can actually be dedicated enough to live by the "process", then by God, shouldn't you be able to talk to others about it? Open your mouthes guys.

Leadership is clearly lacking. That's where former players are HUGE! They can hit a nerve with guys, they may be able to speak to the point a bit better than a coach. They've been there and done it. Bo not utilizing that would be baffling to me. But I also see that Ralph's open criticism to the media may not be the best way to get his foot in the door.

Bo seems to have a problem accepting criticism. I was always taught, there is positive and negative criticism, but you can learn from all of it. If Bo approaches this the right way he will extend an invitation to Brown and anyone else who feels may have been slighted. These guys have earned their place as Huskers. They aren't asking Bo to hold their hand. They just want to be a part of a program they love. Of course, Bo could also build up the walls a bit higher to make sure no one sees over them. I think we've seen that side of Bi where he threw criticism back in people's faces. I truly think Bo is growing and evolving from that guy.

I guess my question would be, what could it hurt to get more former players around the program?

I'm going to say the exact SAME thing that was said by me and others when this was one of Callahan's biggest criticisms......

You don't have to start from scratch at a place like Nebraska. Doing so shows incredible arrogance and hubris. And of late, the only thing with a tangible sense of a championship program is our history. It only makes sense to let people who are that passionate and proud of their program to help.

And it could be way different to what Brown is saying. But, taking Brown at his word, here's another sign that the only difference between Callahan and Bo is a year at DC under Solich.

• Fire 1

I'll third the "yawn". I know Suh, Fonzie, and Prince have been within the program within the last 3 weeks.

Aren't there reports of quite a few guys continuing to come back to work out here during the off-season as well?

Did anyone see the collection of former players at the spring game? Here were A LOT of players from the TO era there...

Does he want an official invite? Maybe calling up Bo or whoever it is and asking to come in would help.

Please don't point out facts, guys. I think it is better to speculate why Bo hates former Nebraska players.

• Fire 4

Landlord, who is Pillen?

He used to post on here, and walked on with the team in 2007 and 2008. Originally from Texas, and he was responsible for this gem of a video. He eventually transferred to Abilene Christian University and has been making a name for himself doing sport marketing and media work. Real good guy.

Pillen is a legacy at UNL who walked on to the football team and used to post here. Good dude :B)

Leadership is clearly lacking. That's where former players are HUGE! They can hit a nerve with guys, they may be able to speak to the point a bit better than a coach. They've been there and done it. Bo not utilizing that would be baffling to me. But I also see that Ralph's open criticism to the media may not be the best way to get his foot in the door.

True, but, I think there's a major difference when the former players aren't the upperclassmen who the current team just saw graduate, but 'some guys' from 'some time ago.'

I'm going to say the exact SAME thing that was said by me and others when this was one of Callahan's biggest criticisms......

You don't have to start from scratch at a place like Nebraska. Doing so shows incredible arrogance and hubris. And of late, the only thing with a tangible since of a championship program is our history. It only makes sense to let people who are that passionate and proud of their program to help.

And it could be way different to what Brown is saying. But, taking Brown at his word, here's another sign that the only difference between Callahan and Bo is a year at DC under Solich.

That is the only difference? Wow, just wow. I know you have a huge distaste for Bo, but this comment is senseless!

• Fire 4

You don't have to start from scratch at a place like Nebraska. Doing so shows incredible arrogance and hubris. And of late, the only thing with a tangible since of a championship program is our history. It only makes sense to let people who are that passionate and proud of their program to help.

That is the only difference? Wow, just wow. I know you have a huge distaste for Bo, but this comment is senseless!

Games where 70 points get scored on the defense? The worst home losses in history? 3 home losses in a season? No championships?

• Fire 2
Pillen is a legacy at UNL who walked on to the football team and used to post here. Good dude :B)

True, but, I think there's a major difference when the former players aren't the upperclassmen who the current team just saw graduate, but 'some guys' from 'some time ago.'

I would assume the big names the current players might know, but if your name is not on the wall somewhere or picture hanging the current players have no idea. I hope Bo realizes the importance of keeping in touch with the era of players that did so much for this program. Like I said, there were a handful of guys from the TO era at the spring game. It is a two way street...

I think we are missing some of the old school swagger. Not this lame ass 4 loss swag that's been going around.