Ralph Brown says Pelini needs to build better bridge with ex players

OK, this is nuts. I think the point is just that there's this mythos of Bo being a 'Nebraska Guy' because of his 2003 season here as DC. There's history there but not much to the myth. Bo's his own man.

But, more to the point, so? Every coach is. And should be. We don't *know* what Bo's ceiling or floor is, but we do know he's done a better job than Callahan so far, and also that all the 2003-ness in the world won't save his job if he doesn't eventually take the program to the next level.

True. I'm just pointing out that the biggest complaints about BC were "ZOMG TEH BLOWOUTZ", and "former players don't feel welcome" or "he won't fire his buddy assistants"

The exact, same things are still happening.

That's becuase under Callahan, the blowouts were still rather shocking. By the time Bo took over, we became use to em. Thanks to Callahan. He was so enlightening with all his NFL talent and modern offense and all.

So that makes blowouts OK?

yes.

I would imagine win totals are a big part of that threshold, as well as off-the-field stuff such as GPA and graduation rate and life skills junk and whatever.

Which has been my point all along. Polo seems to get off on comparing the two only in regards to things that are actually comparable while conveniently ignoring everything that isn't.

BC's guys kept their nose clean and had a good gpa rate too. Next.

100475-case-and-point-gif-Britta-imgu-MkUG.gif

YOU'RE THE ONE THAT BROUGHT IT UP DINGUS YOU TELL ME

i apply them as a threshold to keep a job, name-caller.

I would imagine win totals are a big part of that threshold, as well as off-the-field stuff such as GPA and graduation rate and life skills junk and whatever.

Which has been my point all along. Polo seems to get off on comparing the two only in regards to things that are actually comparable while conveniently ignoring everything that isn't.

it would seem so. i do not know. i mean the big one is championships, isn't it? and how we lose? solich got fired for not winning championships (that was a mistake and he did, but that is the standard, championships). callahan got fired, not for wins and losses, but how we loss. but, you are right. but is stuck. this would have been the year to fire him, but he still had down enough to keep his job (and probably not enough to justify his buyout). so here we are. i just hope this season bo can put all this to rest by showing what he showed early in his career.

I dont know about that. He coulda lost all 7 game in '07 by 10 points or less, and i'm betting he still woulda been gone. Pedersen was out, Osborne was in 5 games into the year. There was another direction gonna be taken after that year regardless, and for reasons well beyond the scoreboard.

and now I'll apologize for nitpicking one sentence out of a statement. Drives me nuts when people do that to me too. But i said such to roll into how I believe this whole program from the field to the offices was demoralized with no regard to the wins and losses.

• Fire 1

I'm really glad you get a big rubbery one over a 9-4 record with a whale trophy at the end. If that's all you have to defend Bo, then the argument that standards have changed here is pretty much over and proven correct.

BC's guys kept their nose clean and had a good gpa rate too. Next.

100475-case-and-point-gif-Britta-imgu-MkUG.gif

it would seem so. i do not know. i mean the big one is championships, isn't it? and how we lose? solich got fired for not winning championships (that was a mistake and he did win a championship. but that is the standard, championships). callahan got fired, not for wins and losses, but how we lost.

but, you are right. bo is stuck. this would have been the year to fire him, but he still had done enough to keep his job (and probably not enough to justify his buyout). so here we are. i just hope this season bo can put all this to rest by showing what he showed early in his career.

Isn't that what most of us truly want?

I get there are a few fringe anti-Bo fans that was the team to lose so he gets fired, but we all want the Huskers to succeed right?

it would seem so. i do not know. i mean the big one is championships, isn't it? and how we lose? solich got fired for not winning championships (that was a mistake and he did win a championship. but that is the standard, championships). callahan got fired, not for wins and losses, but how we lost.

but, you are right. bo is stuck. this would have been the year to fire him, but he still had done enough to keep his job (and probably not enough to justify his buyout). so here we are. i just hope this season bo can put all this to rest by showing what he showed early in his career.

I get there are a few fringe anti-Bo fans that was the team to lose so he gets fired, but we all want the Huskers to succeed right?

Yes.

The problems is we just appear to be closer to 7-6 than 13-1

When Tom gave the press conference after Bill was fired, he said that they met as soon as he was hired with 5 games left in the season and told Bill if he won all 5, no question he'd keep his job. If he won 4, it was probably a safe bet, if he won 3 they would take it into consideration but if he won any less than that it was going to be really hard for him to stay. Championships are the standard, but championships weren't the ultimatum given to Callahan in order to save his job.

But I agree with you. And I'm not even necessarily pro-Bo, but I hope he figures it out next season or we get someone that can.

• Fire 1

Yes.

Weren't you the one that said you hoped we had a losing season so Bo would be gone?

OK, this is nuts. I think the point is just that there's this mythos of Bo being a 'Nebraska Guy' because of his 2003 season here as DC. There's history there but not much to the myth. Bo's his own man.

But, more to the point, so? Every coach is. And should be. We don't *know* what Bo's ceiling or floor is, but we do know he's done a better job than Callahan so far, and also that all the 2003-ness in the world won't save his job if he doesn't eventually take the program to the next level.

True. I'm just pointing out that the biggest complaints about BC were "ZOMG TEH BLOWOUTZ", and "former players don't feel welcome" or "he won't fire his buddy assistants"

The exact, same things are still happening.

Aside from the blowouts........

We're now at a count of 2-out of how many-former players that have shown publicly that they feel unwelcome. And I dont even know that Frazier did that. Please show me others if there are.

Fire buddy assistants? Fire or not, but Bo has had to costantly re work the staff. Watson, Gilmore, Carl, Ekeler, Sanders, Raymond, Joseph. These are all guys Bo has had to let go-oh I mean "find another job for"-or has lost in 6 years.

And as far as exactly the same. LOL. except for the 5-6 and 5-7 part.

Yes.

Weren't you the one that said you hoped we had a losing season so Bo would be gone?

No.

You guys are making it really hard for me to pretend the Callahan years didn't happen.

That's the wrong attitude. You need to remember them and all of the red flags. Otherwise history might repeat itself. Which is kinda my point.

Considering there are still the same flags.

When Tom gave the press conference after Bill was fired, he said that they met as soon as he was hired with 5 games left in the season and told Bill if he won all 5, no question he'd keep his job. If he won 4, it was probably a safe bet, if he won 3 they would take it into consideration but if he won any less than that it was going to be really hard for him to stay. Championships are the standard, but championships weren't the ultimatum given to Callahan in order to save his job.

But I agree with you. And I'm not even necessarily pro-Bo, but I hope he figures it out next season or we get someone that can.

And then there was the interview with TO a week or so after taking over the AD where he slipped about "the new staff". Trust me. The decision was made the second Pedey was gone. All that hubbub about winning this many and such as all TOspeak. And in hindsight, even if he did really make them ultimatums, he knew it wasnt happening anyway.

about a minute-forty or so.

You guys are making it really hard for me to pretend the Callahan years didn't happen.

That's the wrong attitude. You need to remember them and all of the red flags. Otherwise history might repeat itself. Which is kinda my point.

Considering there are still the same flags.

It's all Dan Beebe, man.

Back to the original topic, Ralph Brown needs to make the move. If he really wants to be a part of the program than all he needs to do is call up BP and say "how can I help the program be better?"

Acting slighted because BP hasn't come out and invited him to visit and hangout is a little small on his part.