Wistrom says selfishness of players "makes me sick"

I agree with what you're saying in general, but you're really short changing some of the defenses we've had within the last 6 years. Also, I think our culture and leadership seem to be trending upward since that game happened.

Considering I saw the team quit in three games last season, I'm not sure how you can say that.

• Fire 7
Definitely not saying we're a finished product, but Ameer, Rose, Armstrong, Mitchell, etc. seem to be a lot better leadership core than we had that season.

I think it needs to be Cross. Dude puts his work in, grinds and would probably snap your spine if you mouthed off or slacked.

I agree with what you're saying in general, but you're really short changing some of the defenses we've had within the last 6 years. Also, I think our culture and leadership seem to be trending upward since that game happened.

I can agree to an extent with that, but consider this. Have you ever thought just how ridiculous it is the way the problems have moved through every single aspect of this team. In 2009-10 when we had those respectable defenses, it was the offense that couldn't get their act together. Then when the offense started putting some points up, our defense allowed 3 of three of the top ten worst performances ever allowed by a "Blackshirt" (cough) defense. Our guru was out guru'd by damn near everybody on record levels. Only now, we see that our special teams had to follow suit and become completely ineffective, and somewhat defective.

All three phases of the game, none ever up to par at the same time. What gives? Combine that with the turnovers that have always been an issue. Let's face it, even when those certain areas of each team were performing even well, there was still a real lack of focus and accountability.

• Fire 1
http://www.theticketfm.com/drop-the-mike/grant-wistrom-former-husker-and-nfl-de/

When Grant Wistrom speaks, I tend to listen. Not only because he's one of the greatest Nebraska football players of all time. He's one of the smarter guys to roll through this football program. He resembles Nebraska football and what it's supposed to be all about in my opinion. Passion, integrity, dedication, and commitment to his teammates. Commitment to excellence.

This interview was done this week and the debacle that was the Big Ten Championship against Wisconsin was discussed. You can hear the disgust in Wistroms voice as he hears about the goofing off and the weak approach the team took to the game. Wistrom mentions that something like that just never would have happened in his time here. It wouldn't have been allowed to happen. He talks about the brotherhood and dedication to each other that made giving up, or giving half effort, a completely unacceptable concept in this program. I see no reason these things are being allowed to happen today.

So why is it? Why are players who give half assed effort being allowed to play? Where are the standards? Where is the commitment to the team? Who are the leaders, and why aren't they holding each other accountable?

Grant talks about the two losses Nebraska had in his entire career. He remembers the plays that we're given up and the players that allowed them. As if that didn't bother him enough, he said he remembers the guys smiling as if it were no big deal. He still doesn't forgive those guys. As a competitor, you take losing to heart. When did losing becomes a joke? It must have here at some point because I see guys smiling and joking during some straight up ass whoopings on the current and recent teams. I rarely see guys rallying the team when things are going wrong. Grant also mentions how anyone giving half efforts would have had their ass kicked. Grant dares anyone to look back through the tapes and see him not playing full effort through the play. Right now, I dare anyone to find me a play in the last six years where all eleven offensive or defensive players played from whistle to whistle. I bet you can't do it. I see a few guys almost every single play either jogging behind a play, not blocking downfield, or giving half effort when the play goes the opposite side of the field.

To me it's these things that are embarrassing to consider being associated with Nebraska football. It's not the losses so much. Losing happens. It's when you're own lack of effort is the reason for the losses. When your own players are the problem. The fact that our head coach preaches as much if not more about accountabilty and "doing things the right way", as any coach I've ever heard, it baffles me that those exact things seem to be his teams biggest issues.

Great interview. Check it out.

There is actual disdain in his voice. Disdain so thick you could drizzle it on pancakes.

• Fire 1
http://www.theticket...ker-and-nfl-de/

When Grant Wistrom speaks, I tend to listen. Not only because he's one of the greatest Nebraska football players of all time. He's one of the smarter guys to roll through this football program. He resembles Nebraska football and what it's supposed to be all about in my opinion. Passion, integrity, dedication, and commitment to his teammates. Commitment to excellence.

This interview was done this week and the debacle that was the Big Ten Championship against Wisconsin was discussed. You can hear the disgust in Wistroms voice as he hears about the goofing off and the weak approach the team took to the game. Wistrom mentions that something like that just never would have happened in his time here. It wouldn't have been allowed to happen. He talks about the brotherhood and dedication to each other that made giving up, or giving half effort, a completely unacceptable concept in this program. I see no reason these things are being allowed to happen today.

So why is it? Why are players who give half assed effort being allowed to play? Where are the standards? Where is the commitment to the team? Who are the leaders, and why aren't they holding each other accountable?

Grant talks about the two losses Nebraska had in his entire career. He remembers the plays that we're given up and the players that allowed them. As if that didn't bother him enough, he said he remembers the guys smiling as if it were no big deal. He still doesn't forgive those guys. As a competitor, you take losing to heart. When did losing becomes a joke? It must have here at some point because I see guys smiling and joking during some straight up ass whoopings on the current and recent teams. I rarely see guys rallying the team when things are going wrong. Grant also mentions how anyone giving half efforts would have had their ass kicked. Grant dares anyone to look back through the tapes and see him not playing full effort through the play. Right now, I dare anyone to find me a play in the last six years where all eleven offensive or defensive players played from whistle to whistle. I bet you can't do it. I see a few guys almost every single play either jogging behind a play, not blocking downfield, or giving half effort when the play goes the opposite side of the field.

To me it's these things that are embarrassing to consider being associated with Nebraska football. It's not the losses so much. Losing happens. It's when you're own lack of effort is the reason for the losses. When your own players are the problem. The fact that our head coach preaches as much if not more about accountabilty and "doing things the right way", as any coach I've ever heard, it baffles me that those exact things seem to be his teams biggest issues.

Great interview. Check it out.

There is actual disdain in his voice. Disdain so thick you could drizzle it on pancakes.

I am going to take a listen here in a minute. Love to hear what he has to say.

Yea, he literally sounds bothered by it. This is why I wish former players were more involved. Maybe they could bring some sort of competitive fire to these guys. Some of then can't seem to find it on their own.

How many guys on this team do you think could read this thread, or hear this interview where their commitment is questioned and they say, you know what, I'm headed to the gym, be damned if anybody's gonna question my commitment. Or how much you wanna bet they head over to Tweeter instead, and tell the world how rough they have it and how hard they are already working. #4losses.

You know, I know that I probably harp and bitch too much on here, but I really think that the majority of the team probably really cares a lot and does put their work in. The problem is when one of the "cool" kids (who probably gets a lot of playing time too) blows it off and still gets the attention/playing time anyway. This is an endemic problem in any team sport that underachieves.

This is why it bothered me so much when Damon Benning spent nearly 20 minutes of air time propping up a player who's been accused of dogging it, and constantly whines online about what he -should- get, how late the games are going to be this year, and how everyone should stay positive or just be quiet.

• Fire 1

Bo Pelini reached out to Winstrom and had him speak to the team before the 2013 season. Pretty cool. Good stuff.

Heard that too. Sounded like he appreciated it but he wasn't in a hurry to do it again. Makes you wonder how he felt his words were treated.

A very very important part of what Wistrom said also has to do with having two of the best players in the country at their positions.....referring to himself and J Peter. And to go a notch above that, when those two players are DL, it's even better. As great as it is that J Mitchell is a vocal leader, here's to hoping the active leadership like Wistrom is referring to comes from the likes of Gregory, Valentine and Collins. It's no coincidence that we fielded a stellar defense with Suh and Crick. Leaders also need to be talented.....and again as Wistrom pointed out when he played......two of the best players in the country at their position.

You know, I know that I probably harp and bitch too much on here, but I really think that the majority of the team probably really cares a lot and does put their work in. The problem is when one of the "cool" kids (who probably gets a lot of playing time too) blows it off and still gets the attention/playing time anyway. This is an endemic problem in any team sport that underachieves.

This is why it bothered me so much when Damon Benning spent nearly 20 minutes of air time propping up a player who's been accused of dogging it, and constantly whines online about what he -should- get, how late the games are going to be this year, and how everyone should stay positive or just be quiet.

I remember Benning mentioning that Terrell Farley was a MLB that didn't like to play his assignments and roles within the defense. It happens everywhere IMO....just not on Bo's team....but even Osborne's. Lastly, Winstrom mentions 2 players were a cause of the two losses he went through while at Nebraska. I don't exactly know what you do about it though. It seems like it needs to be resolved between the players.