Wistrom says selfishness of players "makes me sick"

LINK

By Mitch Sherman | ESPN

“The challenge I laid out to this football team is to move forward,” Pelini said. “If we don’t keep thinking about football, if we don’t attack it and we don’t keep continuing to work at it, to spend some time away from the facility, put themselves in position to keep learning and build, if we forget about football until August and just worry about the conditioning part of it, it won’t happen for this football team.”

Pelini’s words are as clear as a slap in the face. It’s not good enough to remain in good shape during the offseason.

Bo's right - it's not enough to show up in shape for the first game. The team looked physically fit in the home opener against Wyoming - and then proceeded to nearly get beat by a team that finished 5-7 in the Mountain West.

Clearly the thing this team lacks isn't under the pads, it's between the ears. That's why comments like this are particularly concerning:

Pelini delivered his message with notable eloquence. The seventh-year coach, no doubt, has devoted considerable thought to this subject.

He’s looking for leaders within the team to repeat his words in May, June and July.

I’m not worried about that at all,” senior receiver Kenny Bell said. “We did it this entire winter. The hard work doesn’t stop.”

If by "did it this entire winter" Bell means they did something different, took a different (higher) level of responsibility and/or dedicated themselves to a higher standard of performance than in years past, that's great. But if he's (as it sounds) taking this challenge lightly and thinking he's got the problems fixed, that's a concern. Because missed blocks, poorly-run routes and dropped passes plagued the WR corps last year, and Kenny was not immune.

Luckily it doesn't seem like everyone has that take on Bo's message:

Armstrong, in particular, said he wants to continue to drill the importance of ball security through the offseason.

I take all responsibility for it,” he said.

Armstrong said he believes the turnover problems were responsible for every Nebraska loss last year – a debatable assertion that, nonetheless, marks a step in the quarterback’s development as a leader.

Of those two quotes, I'll take the latter. And here's hoping the team adopts that "I take all responsibility for it" attitude, and carries that though summer workouts.

This was a recent thread started by Knapp. It kind of says what I'm getting at. There's guys who get it, and some I don't think get it. It concerns you when a senior leader may think he's been there and done it, or the hard work is already being done when literally every team he's been on has lost four games each season. I would rather motivate than tear down, and I hope guys would take Bo's message as a challene to get better, as it was intended. It is my intentions as well. I know I don't have any direct contact or effect on the team, but damn, they have to change the culture and the mentality around that football program. Some things are missing. I hope they work hard and prepare over the summer. The work is not done. It is worth it isn't it? If I were in their shoes, I would absolutely say its worth it. What's better as a competitor, than being a champion?

Bo Pelini reached out to Winstrom and had him speak to the team before the 2013 season. Pretty cool. Good stuff.

Heard that too. Sounded like he appreciated it but he wasn't in a hurry to do it again. Makes you wonder how he felt his words were treated.

I don't know if I feel the same way about that considering his approach and tone with the discussion. He stated that he will always be there, his fondest years were spent there. He would do anything to help the program.

LINK

By Mitch Sherman | ESPN

"The challenge I laid out to this football team is to move forward," Pelini said. "If we don't keep thinking about football, if we don't attack it and we don't keep continuing to work at it, to spend some time away from the facility, put themselves in position to keep learning and build, if we forget about football until August and just worry about the conditioning part of it, it won't happen for this football team."

Pelini's words are as clear as a slap in the face. It's not good enough to remain in good shape during the offseason.

Bo's right - it's not enough to show up in shape for the first game. The team looked physically fit in the home opener against Wyoming - and then proceeded to nearly get beat by a team that finished 5-7 in the Mountain West.

Clearly the thing this team lacks isn't under the pads, it's between the ears. That's why comments like this are particularly concerning:

Pelini delivered his message with notable eloquence. The seventh-year coach, no doubt, has devoted considerable thought to this subject.

He's looking for leaders within the team to repeat his words in May, June and July.

"I'm not worried about that at all," senior receiver Kenny Bell said. "We did it this entire winter. The hard work doesn't stop."

If by "did it this entire winter" Bell means they did something different, took a different (higher) level of responsibility and/or dedicated themselves to a higher standard of performance than in years past, that's great. But if he's (as it sounds) taking this challenge lightly and thinking he's got the problems fixed, that's a concern. Because missed blocks, poorly-run routes and dropped passes plagued the WR corps last year, and Kenny was not immune.

Luckily it doesn't seem like everyone has that take on Bo's message:

Armstrong, in particular, said he wants to continue to drill the importance of ball security through the offseason.

"I take all responsibility for it," he said.

Armstrong said he believes the turnover problems were responsible for every Nebraska loss last year – a debatable assertion that, nonetheless, marks a step in the quarterback's development as a leader.

Of those two quotes, I'll take the latter. And here's hoping the team adopts that "I take all responsibility for it" attitude, and carries that though summer workouts.

This was a recent thread started by Knapp. It kind of says what I'm getting at. There's guys who get it, and some I don't think get it. It concerns you when a senior leader may think he's been there and done it, or the hard work is already being done when literally every team he's been on has lost four games each season. I would rather motivate than tear down, and I hope guys would take Bo's message as a challene to get better, as it was intended. It is my intentions as well. I know I don't have any direct contact or effect on the team, but damn, they have to change the culture and the mentality around that football program. Some things are missing. I hope they work hard and prepare over the summer. The work is not done. It is worth it isn't it? If I were in their shoes, I would absolutely say its worth it. What's better as a competitor, than being a champion?

I've been thinking this same thing the past 2 years now.....took a while to come to that conclusion. I honestly base it off of Benning's comments about the team and former players. Benning has stressed that a solid culture needs to be established....one that resembles the former '90's teams. If a "better" culture so to speak begins to unfold and be laid out, I feel that will greatly affect the negative aspects that the team has been struggling with, i.e. turnover problems, selfish players, etc.

Bo Pelini reached out to Winstrom and had him speak to the team before the 2013 season. Pretty cool. Good stuff.

Heard that too. Sounded like he appreciated it but he wasn't in a hurry to do it again. Makes you wonder how he felt his words were treated.

I don't know if I feel the same way about that considering his approach and tone with the discussion. He stated that he will always be there, his fondest years were spent there. He would do anything to help the program.

He also said "he was a fan now" That's where I got that.

As for your Terrell Farley reference, he found his way off that team pretty quick.

As for your Terrell Farley reference, he found his way off that team pretty quick.

True.

I understand where you could feel that way now. However, IMO.....it isn't end all, be all statement. In the same breath, he stated he would do anything for the program.

I do want to say that a large portion of the starting players on this team were not really a big of that Big Ten Championship game. A lot of these guys are young and had nothing to do with that. You would just hope these new kids are coming up with a different mentality than some of these older players currently on the team, and former players that were associated with the selfishness and quitting. You hear things about these guys changing the culture and this young group of players sounds like they are bringing a higher level of commitment and preparation. They look like it too. You could watch the spring game this year and just judging individually, you could tell some guys worked hard and it was paying off. Bigger, faster and stronger. More confidence, and playing tough.

Maybe the change is already happening. We will see it in the results. The hard work will pay off. It shows up. Even if it doesn't always equate to a win. Playing through the whistle. Looking for someone to hit. Finishing blocks. Making tackles. Securing the ball. Running to the ball. Little things. Details. Some more important than others. That's football though. The more of these things you start doing right,mthe next thing you know is you look up at the scoreboard and you're up big.

True.

I understand where you could feel that way now. However, IMO.....it isn't end all, be all statement. In the same breath, he stated he would do anything for the program.

True enough.

Another thing that makes me wonder is that both Grant and PJ reported people "dogging it", but didn't name names, obviously. But that doesn't mean that the people in question don't know. I wonder how they feel?

Further, how does Damon Benning react to all of this? He was on Grant's teams....

I agree with what you're saying in general, but you're really short changing some of the defenses we've had within the last 6 years. Also, I think our culture and leadership seem to be trending upward since that game happened.

Considering I saw the team quit in three games last season, I'm not sure how you can say that.

kids are just doing everything half assed now days, they all feel entitled, it really is different now....more pot smokers and less dedicated athletes.

• Fire 1

A culture comes from an identity. It comes form accountability. What is our identity? Mistake prone, choke, undisciplined? What are the strengths of the team? On both sides of the ball.

We have no identity on O. We do things well, but nothing great. On D are we ball hawking, pin the ears back and attack? We lack physicality on either side of the ball. We struggle against teams we should annihilate. We lack the killer instinct on both sides.

In NU's history of the 90's (since the Wistrom comments) NU had an identity on both sides. They were one of the meanest and most disciplined squads to play at that level. In the country. They could be defined as angry, mean, intense, bruising, physical, unstoppable, punishing etc........I can't use any of those to describe NU now.

Before we can redefine or get the culture back, we have to emulate that culture.

I think we have the horses, I think the staff is learning, but the need is still there to develop an identity that reflects the above attitudes of nasty, mean, punishing etc.....

I agree with what you're saying in general, but you're really short changing some of the defenses we've had within the last 6 years. Also, I think our culture and leadership seem to be trending upward since that game happened.

Considering I saw the team quit in three games last season, I'm not sure how you can say that.

kids are just doing everything half assed now days, they all feel entitled, it really is different now....more pot smokers and less dedicated athletes.

I see it everyday in the classroom, football field, and weight room. The stuff the players of old use to do would be forced out. I am speculating here, but I am guessing when Wistrom, Peter Brothers, etc were in the program the players did some pretty crazy things to keep people in 'line'. The coaches were okay with it...hell, society at the time was okay with it. Now, it would not be tolerated. Case and point: players saying they are getting bullied in the locker room. An EXTREME example is Incognito...before you jump all over me and say what a nut job Richie is, I know he is crazy. The main point is that the current society WILL NOT tolerate the behavior the players of old did in the locker rooms.

I think Grant would probably be the best option to have come back on a frequent basis. He is very intelligent and backed up his hard work and dedication on the field and the success he had in college and the pros.

I see it everyday in the classroom, football field, and weight room. The stuff the players of old use to do would be forced out. I am speculating here, but I am guessing when Wistrom, Peter Brothers, etc were in the program the players did some pretty crazy things to keep people in 'line'. The coaches were okay with it...hell, society at the time was okay with it. Now, it would not be tolerated. Case and point: players saying they are getting bullied in the locker room. An EXTREME example is Incognito...before you jump all over me and say what a nut job Richie is, I know he is crazy. The main point is that the current society WILL NOT tolerate the behavior the players of old did in the locker rooms.

I think Grant would probably be the best option to have come back on a frequent basis. He is very intelligent and backed up his hard work and dedication on the field and the success he had in college and the pros.

well said, the players know who works hardest and plays for the team........

A culture comes from an identity. It comes form accountability. What is our identity? Mistake prone, choke, undisciplined? What are the strengths of the team? On both sides of the ball.

We have no identity on O. We do things well, but nothing great. On D are we ball hawking, pin the ears back and attack? We lack physicality on either side of the ball. We struggle against teams we should annihilate. We lack the killer instinct on both sides.

In NU's history of the 90's (since the Wistrom comments) NU had an identity on both sides. They were one of the meanest and most disciplined squads to play at that level. In the country. They could be defined as angry, mean, intense, bruising, physical, unstoppable, punishing etc........I can't use any of those to describe NU now.

Before we can redefine or get the culture back, we have to emulate that culture.

I think we have the horses, I think the staff is learning, but the need is still there to develop an identity that reflects the above attitudes of nasty, mean, punishing etc.....

A culture comes from an identity, yes. But that identity doesn't have to be rooted in a specific offensive or defensive philosophy.

• Fire 1

I agree, society today wouldn't tolerate the way things happened in the past. Another big thing: media has much more presence today than it did 15-20 years ago. So it's not like teams can keep stuff hidden.

But honestly, you can hold people accountable and get them to perform at the highest levels without resorting to "over-the-top" tactics.

Okay, so weed is to blame, and coaches can't sit players who aren't doing what's asked of them?

What exactly do you think Wistrom and Peters were doing to guys that were half assing it? Jesus, this IS football people. You don't have to throw on the brass knuckles and have a parking lot ass whooping after practice. They let you put on shoulder pads, strap on a helmet, and f'ing hit each other for Christ sake. If I see you not giving a sh#t during a game, I'll call you out on it right there. You don't step up then the entire team would be asking why you don't give a sh#t. Why aren't you working hard like the rest of us. Everybody has to want to kick ass. I bet if you don't pick things up and start making plays I'll find a way to lay your ass out in practice. Might even throw an elbow in your ribs after the play lets up.

Okay, so weed is to blame, and coaches can't sit players who aren't doing what's asked of them?

What exactly do you think Wistrom and Peters were doing to guys that were half assing it? Jesus, this IS football people. You don't have to throw on the brass knuckles and have a parking lot ass whooping after practice. They let you put on shoulder pads, strap on a helmet, and f'ing hit each other for Christ sake. If I see you not giving a sh#t during a game, I'll call you out on it right there. You don't step up then the entire team would be asking why you don't give a sh#t. Why aren't you working hard like the rest of us. Everybody has to want to kick ass. I bet if you don't pick things up and start making plays I'll find a way to lay your ass out in practice. Might even throw an elbow in your ribs after the play lets up.

I understand that and what goes on in a locker room...I really don't give two sh#ts about. But society disagrees. And if word got out about stuff that was "over the top", how big of a distraction would that be?