Sipple: ESPN doc to explore Osborne's decision to go for 2 in '84

That decision is totally exemplary of Nebraska football. It really is more than winning. Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game........

Yes. Impressive as hell to have the guts to go out and compete, lay it all on the line, and leave no doubt who the better team was. We lost that game, but we were the better team. Those guys were champions, whether the record books say it or not.

Damn though, could you imagine if we had converted that. Wow.

That decision is totally exemplary of Nebraska football. It really is more than winning. Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game........

Yes. Impressive as hell to have the guts to go out and compete, lay it all on the line, and leave no doubt who the better team was. We lost that game, but we were the better team. Those guys were champions, whether the record books say it or not.

Does the frickin U happen if we do?

wish he sent out the kicking squad. that would have been 6 national titles

I was just thinking after watching the '94 Orange Bowl on youtube recently that if Byron Bennett hit that 45 yd fg that would have been another National Championship for TO and the Huskers. If only Alex Henery played in 94.

• Fire 1

I was just thinking after watching the '94 Orange Bowl on youtube recently that if Byron Bennett hit that 45 yd fg that would have been another National Championship for TO and the Huskers. If only Alex Henery played in 94.

Of course if the game was called correctly (the Corey Dixon return and the William Floyd fumble) we win that game rather comfortably and don't need any stinkin' field goals.

Does the frickin U happen if we do?

I was wondering if the U even happens if we tie, because not only do we win the NC, but they don't. I'd take the tie just for that.

One thing people over look is that there were still 48 seconds left. Kosar said he almost hoped we'd make it so he could come back onto the field to win it. Can't remember how good their FG kicker was but he made a 45 yarder early in the game.

"tie one for the Gipper"?

My grandfather (the one from my HB user name) filled me with a hate for Notre Dame that I still carry to this day, all because Ara P chose to be safe and settle for a tie and the assurance of a National Championship. I realize it is silly for me to carry that hate today, but life is sometimes silly.

I fully agreed with the "win the game if you can" call by TO. Don't know that I've ever been so exhausted from just watching a game as that one, it was one heck of a moment.

As others have said, that moment kind of defined what Nebraska football was all about for 20+ years to follow.

"tie one for the Gipper"? My grandfather (the one from my HB user name) filled me with a hate for Notre Dame that I still carry to this day, all because Ara P chose to be safe and settle for a tie and the assurance of a National Championship. I realize it is silly for me to carry that hate today, but life is sometimes silly. I fully agreed with the "win the game if you can" call by TO. Don't know that I've ever been so exhausted from just watching a game as that one, it was one heck of a moment. As others have said, that moment kind of defined what Nebraska football was all about for 20+ years to follow.

I remember not speaking after watching that pass ricochet off of Jeff Smith's shoulder pads. No yelling. Not even a whisper. The only time I was speechless after a Husker game. I'm still proud of TO for his decision.

536037e429370.preview-100.jpg

536177916c461.preview-620.jpg

grant_g_osborne_gb1_57611.jpg?w=524

"tie one for the Gipper"? My grandfather (the one from my HB user name) filled me with a hate for Notre Dame that I still carry to this day, all because Ara P chose to be safe and settle for a tie and the assurance of a National Championship. I realize it is silly for me to carry that hate today, but life is sometimes silly. I fully agreed with the "win the game if you can" call by TO. Don't know that I've ever been so exhausted from just watching a game as that one, it was one heck of a moment. As others have said, that moment kind of defined what Nebraska football was all about for 20+ years to follow.

I remember not speaking after watching that pass ricochet off of Jeff Smith's shoulder pads. No yelling. Not even a whisper. The only time I was speechless after a Husker game. I'm still proud of TO for his decision.

536037e429370.preview-100.jpg

536177916c461.preview-620.jpg

grant_g_osborne_gb1_57611.jpg?w=524

I was on my hands and knees about 2 feet in front of the TV...sky high after the touchdown and the whole frigging game....when that ball bounced away I collapsed on the floor. I remember dead silence from all six of us in the room. Few words if any. Got up, my wife and I grabbed our coats and went home. Dang that hurt...they played the live TV call yesterday on the Zone.....it still hurt my gut just to hear it. I forgot how much Criqui and what's his name really talked up TO's decision...hardly mentioned Miami winning, spent a deal of time on the courage and righteousness of the decision.

• Fire 1

I moved from Nebraska soon after that happened..... somehow things never felt the same for a long time. That was my team. That was the one I fell in love with. All these years and titles later, and I don't embrace any Husker team like I do that one, still.

I've never questioned the decision for a second. I hope we would have done it 100 times out of 100. But....

In my mind, I'll always question the play call. One of the great what-ifs in my life is always going to be what happens if we run the option. The greatest rushing offense in the history of college football has a do-or-die play from the 2 yard line with it's entire season on the line.... and it throws a pass.

Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game........

People don't remember this nearly enough. Every time I read it I still re-read it in my head slowly about ten times and just soak in the message it conveys, and you're right. That one play is the literal tangible example of this principle.

it is... but i've always thought of brook berringer whenever i read/hear that statement. i believe he embodied that statement.