New Big Ten Forum Description Suggestion Thread

but why maryland and rutgers? i would have been happier with a bc, pitt, fsu (who knows?), va. tech, unc. go east and south and get some more respectable programs. bc would be as good (better, imo) than the two they got and could have been more incentive for nd. just my imo.

Think about this. This conference's geographical footprint now stretches from the Nebraska/Colorado border all the way to the atlantic ocean. And no, it's not like the Big 12 with 9 teams here and oh, there's West Virginia way out there. No. We have a Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland schools. This is the most geographically diverse conference in the country right now if I'm not mistaken. And I believe it's going to pay huge dividends in the future for the entire membership.

Manifest destiny baby!

And that can be the description as well..

but why maryland and rutgers? i would have been happier with a bc, pitt, fsu (who knows?), va. tech, unc. go east and south and get some more respectable programs. bc would be as good (better, imo) than the two they got and could have been more incentive for nd. just my imo.

ND tied themselves to the ACC is so many sports, they were not going to be in the running, to say nothing of the fact that ND rejected the B1G at least 3 times already.

They wanted to get major city proximity on the east coast. Pitt does nothing that PSU does not already do. FSU is way too far south, and BC? They are even worse in football typically. They also needed teams that would be open to moving. Rutgers wanted out of a sinking ship. MD was going to cut 7 sports. Not much incentive for anyone else to jump from the ACC. And who would we have wanted from the old Big East?

i did not think that nd would be in the running now, but if we locked up as many teams as they like to play, that would have helped when they eventually have to completely join a conference. that was a pretty good run down of the logic, i just think the B1G could have thought bigger if they were going to add teams. but i think what you are saying is it is just about increasing the population of the footprint, which they did. i think it would have been more beneficial to try to move south rather than east.