Determining Right & Wrong

does there have to be an answer?

The problem is something's telling me there is an answer. I suppose some people can live without an answer or really even considering it. But, as for myself, I have to fill in those blanks and at least pretend I know what the answer is. It just seems too futile if there is no answer.

The problem is something's telling me there is an answer. I suppose some people can live without an answer or really even considering it. But, as for myself, I have to fill in those blanks and at least pretend I know what the answer is. It just seems too futile if there is no answer.

Actually, there are a lot of people telling you there's an answer. You've chosen one of them to listen to.

but don't those answers just lead to more questions?

but don't those answers just lead to more questions?

Not necessarily. But, even if so, I'm not afraid of finding an answer to something simply because it raises more questions.

If there is no "why" then I am waisting one hell of a lot of time, effort,emotional energy and money caring about people. If they are nothing more than a chemical reaction that means nothing more than what happens in my pop bottle when the fix goes away then my life would be a lot easier.

Not necessarily. But, even if so, I'm not afraid of finding an answer to something simply because it raises more questions.

If there is no "why" then I am waisting one hell of a lot of time, effort and money caring about people. If they are nothing more than a chemical reaction that means nothing more than what happens in my pop bottle when the fix goes away then my life would be a lot easier.

might be a lot easier, but probably not as meaningful. i think it is up to us to give meaning to our actions.

If there is no "why" then I am waisting one hell of a lot of time, effort and money caring about people. If they are nothing more than a chemical reaction that means nothing more than what happens in my pop bottle when the fix goes away then my life would be a lot easier.

might be a lot easier, but probably not as meaningful. i think it is up to us to give meaning to our actions.

If there is no reason to care then it's not meaningful in the first place.

If there is no reason to care then it's not meaningful in the first place.

i agree. but that is why you need to apply your own meaning to such things.

What I think and believe, let me say that again, what I, MYSELF, think and believe, is that the "golden rule" is described in the Bible. The Moral Law set by God on the stone tablets we know as the 10 commandments (1502 BC).

Later in Jesus' time he furthered this as "love on another as oneself" as the second commandment (first is love the Lord God, wholly, first and foremost)

Then the Apostle Peter stated in 1 Peter 4:8 that "love covers a multitude of sins"

If I love my "brother" am I going to steal his stuff?

If I love my "brother" am I going to lust after his wife?
If I love MY wife, am I going to lust after another woman?

I believe the "Golden Rule" is not just for the outward life, but also the heart and mind.

Ever felt Guilt, Shame, or Conviction from the Holy Spirit (if you are a believer)...I would think that this is a compromise of one's morals.

The Golden Rule predates Confucius by 1,000 to 1,500 years. It predates Jesus by almost 2,000 years.

And that's just in the written record of which we know. Likely it's about as old as the very first humans, so upwards of 200,000 years.

• Fire 1

The Golden Rule predates Confucius by 1,000 to 1,500 years. It predates Jesus by almost 2,000 years.

And that's just in the written record of which we know. Likely it's about as old as the very first humans, so upwards of 200,000 years.

i should not have said "confucius said it first." that was misleading. i should have said that confucius said it before jesus.

but it is a pretty obvious value for anyone with empathy. almost innate that we would at least be aware of it, even if we do not always act on it.