SBNation B1G Preview: #4 Nebraska

The 2015 schedule sets up a lot nicer than this year's does.

I'm guessing this is kind of a tongue-in-cheek thing? Otherwise, are you already looking another year out? 2012 was all about building for 2013. As that went into the crapper 2013 came about the defense being built for 2014. Now as we approach that season we're already talking about 2015...and not because we're good but because of the schedule?

Nah it's not tongue in cheek but it's not "already looking ahead" either.

Same schedule, but all of our perceived toughest games at home instead of away. Just an observation. I'm not the type of person to ever approach our team with the perspective of, "I don't expect much this year but next year look out!"

Count summed if up nicely. Overall thus far his hire has been a success in my book from an academic standpoint. From an athletic standpoint he has turned a ship around but hasnt set sail yet. If he has a losing season and is let go, most would consider it a failure. The jury is most defintitely still out on his tenure, but personally I think hes been good for Nebraska overall.

The problem is now his own actions on and off the field has all but demanded the he has a breakthrough year, and soon, if he wants to continue on, according to the article. Which I agree with, along with a lot of other writers and analysts across this fruited plain.And most do not think it's coming this year. Which is unfortunate, because the schedule shakes out in his favor, and he has a talented team. And most attribute the upcoming four losses because "it's what he does"', which implies they think he's incapable or unwilling to change. This obviously can be argued but then you look at the retention of Ross Els after the special teams debacle of last year and it really makes you wonder.

Sometimes it just seems to me that Bo is in an unwinnable situation, and part of it is by his own actions, and part probably isn't.

Got links? I like to see viewpoints on both ends of the spectrum.

Uh, the one you started this thread with for starters

And c'mon, I think you know that a lot of people are kinda surprised NU didn't make a change.

Count summed if up nicely. Overall thus far his hire has been a success in my book from an academic standpoint. From an athletic standpoint he has turned a ship around but hasnt set sail yet. If he has a losing season and is let go, most would consider it a failure. The jury is most defintitely still out on his tenure, but personally I think hes been good for Nebraska overall.

The problem is now his own actions on and off the field has all but demanded the he has a breakthrough year, and soon, if he wants to continue on, according to the article. Which I agree with, along with a lot of other writers and analysts across this fruited plain.And most do not think it's coming this year. Which is unfortunate, because the schedule shakes out in his favor, and he has a talented team. And most attribute the upcoming four losses because "it's what he does"', which implies they think he's incapable or unwilling to change. This obviously can be argued but then you look at the retention of Ross Els after the special teams debacle of last year and it really makes you wonder.

Sometimes it just seems to me that Bo is in an unwinnable situation, and part of it is by his own actions, and part probably isn't.

And c'mon, I think you know that a lot of people are kinda surprised NU didn't make a change.

Yeah, and I've seen others that have said they see why NU hasn't made a change as well. I've linked those too. There's no consensus.

Yeah, and I've seen others that have said they see why NU hasn't made a change as well. I've linked those too. There's no consensus.

Never said there was, hence debate.

I'm guessing this is kind of a tongue-in-cheek thing? Otherwise, are you already looking another year out? 2012 was all about building for 2013. As that went into the crapper 2013 came about the defense being built for 2014. Now as we approach that season we're already talking about 2015...and not because we're good but because of the schedule?

also, seems like youth and inexperience are odd excuses when talking about a sport with a four year turnaround.

Even more odd to say we'll be better the year after where our two best players will have to be replaced.

I'm not sure how much attention the two of you pay to college athletics, or sports in general, but players in all sports generally get better the more they mature and the more experience they get, until they get too old and their peformance diminishes. Many (if not most) of the guys contributing on the 14 squad have limited playing time or will only be in their second year of contributing to the product on the field at NU. Using historical references as a source, it only stands to reason that in 15 and 16 we should be better teams when the players are older and more experienced.

I'm not saying that 14 will be throw away year, but looking at things realistically, the status quo wouldnt shock me.

The word most generally is used in reference to a majority, i.e. consensus. Hence the confusion.

The word most generally is used in reference to a majority, i.e. consensus. Hence the confusion.

I'm confused too. I never said there was a consensus. I said there were lots of national writers who could see Bo moving on. I also said most I read thought this. And that's true. And this is a thread you started with an article that agrees with this. So I'm baffled.

That is an interesting take. You think our schedule is easy enough (somewhat arguable, at least when you compare to other teams in B1G) and our team is talented enough (either from solid recruiting or player development), so what holds you back from thinking this would be a breakout year, not simply from a #9wins perspective?
I think there's at least 8 games on that schedule Nebraska should win with ease, yes. Throw in a win or two at Miami, MSU and you're looking at probably 11 wins. Which, obviously, would be good. There's talent on this team. Teams that people say have a first round draft pick on defense and an elite running back core are talented.

This team is hamstrung by it's own leadership.

So, in your opinion, given our 18th ranked SOS and current talent level, who, in leadership, need to step up their game, and how?

I'm confused too. I never said there was a consensus. I said there were lots of national writers who could see Bo moving on. I also said most I read thought this. And that's true. And this is a thread you started with an article that agrees with this. So I'm baffled.

nathan-filliion-speechless.gif

That is an interesting take. You think our schedule is easy enough (somewhat arguable, at least when you compare to other teams in B1G) and our team is talented enough (either from solid recruiting or player development), so what holds you back from thinking this would be a breakout year, not simply from a #9wins perspective?
I think there's at least 8 games on that schedule Nebraska should win with ease, yes. Throw in a win or two at Miami, MSU and you're looking at probably 11 wins. Which, obviously, would be good. There's talent on this team. Teams that people say have a first round draft pick on defense and an elite running back core are talented.

So, in your opinion, given our 18th ranked SOS and current talent level, who, in leadership, need to step up their game, and how?

First, I'm not touching on the schedule strength anymore. It's objective at best and there's consensus that there are a ton of easy wins on the schedule.

So the four "marquee" games, or rather the big games that will decide the conferences fate all carry the red flags of a potential disaster under the Pelini era. Under these situations, we often see the team and coach make mental mistakes, real mistakes and lose their cool/focus.

That needs to change.

He has failed miserably by his own standards.

And sker you do not make the choices either, not any more than anyone else on this board. Your opinion is fine, but news flash, that is all it is.

I can offer some extreme verbiage as well......to say he has failed "miserably" is gross exaggeration. As far as me not making coaching decisions, I'm glad that mystery has been cleared up.

He has without question failed miserably at times. By his own definition and otherwise. Last I checked, there's only two coaches in Nebraska's history that has had 70 hung on their teams, and only one was a defensive genius.

This is akin to Buff fans thinking the 62-36 game is the only one ever played against Nebraska.

• Fire 1

First, I'm not touching on the schedule strength anymore. It's objective at best and there's consensus that there are a ton of easy wins on the schedule.

So the four "marquee" games, or rather the big games that will decide the conferences fate all carry the red flags of a potential disaster under the Pelini era. Under these situations, we often see the team and coach make mental mistakes, real mistakes and lose their cool/focus.

That needs to change.

I guess it is a bit of Jenkyl and Hyde then because they often are able to demonstrate great focus and mental toughness to come from behind or win tight games every years as well. I feel we have many of the pieces in place with coaching and players (DE, WR, and right OG and OT are unknowns), but we need more consistency from game to game.