SBNation B1G Preview: #4 Nebraska

Sometimes you have to step back and admire something, even if you're not sure whether it's good or bad.
Nebraska's six-year streak of four-loss seasons is simultaneously strong (that's nine or 10 wins every year, as Nebraska points out to recruits) and limiting (only one finish better than 20th in the polls). Bo Pelini's Huskers are consistently some level of good and almost never great, and that becomes frustrating to fans of any school after a while, much less a school with Nebraska's history of better-than-good finishes.
Still, sometimes you just have to admire what had to happen for a streak like this to come about.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/29/5752746/nebraska-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster

I love Bill and think he's one of the best CFB writers in the game . . . that said, I think he whiffed on us a little bit. Given all our injury troubles at OL, our line should be experienced even if they don't return a lot of combined starts, and our secondary is jacked. It's WR, LB, and QB that has me concerned.

• Fire 1

I love Bill and think he's one of the best CFB writers in the game . . . that said, I think he whiffed on us a little bit. Given all our injury troubles at OL, our line should be experienced even if they don't return a lot of combined starts, and our secondary is jacked. It's WR, LB, and QB that has me concerned.

Yeah, I'd agree mostly. I think we'll be fine at LB though.

Still, reading through all the B1G previews the past 2 weeks has been great. Just waiting for Steelemas now.

Expecting non-school-specific writers to have that intimate of knowledge on so many teams is unreasonable and all things considered, this is an awesome write-up.

It's hard to argue with his conclusions, but those conclusions are also based on the continuation of where things were last season. If, hypothetically speaking, Armstrong steps up, we improve marginally in turnovers and punt returns/field positions, and unproven depth turns out to be quality players, we can do much better than that.

But who knows if we can.

Lindys has us 5th in the league behind tOSU, MSU, Wiscy, and Michigan respectively.

Really?

Edit: After looking at their schedule, I could totally see it. They play at Notre Dame, Penn State at home, at Michigan State, and then at Ohio State. No other challenging opponents to speak of. Only three tough non-conference games too.

Lindys has us 5th in the league behind tOSU, MSU, Wiscy, and Michigan respectively.

Really?

Edit: After looking at their schedule, I could totally see it. They play at Notre Dame, Penn State at home, at Michigan State, and then at Ohio State. No other challenging opponents to speak of. Only three tough non-conference games too.

Michigan has our @NW, home Minn, and @MSU. They get the tougher @tOSU instead of @Wisky. Then home PSU vs. our @Iowa.

I would say they have the tougher schedule and not as good of a team.

• Fire 2

This article seemed to hint at a few things.

-that Nebraska will not be a top 25 team next year, which won't make anyone happy.

-that four losses again seem likely, which could mean an 0-fer against the schools we agreed were the marquee games on the schedule next year, which won't make anyone happy. Or they trip up against one of the other schools we expected a win on, which won't make anyone happy.

-and that Bo and co needs a breakthrough year for job security, and he thinks it's unlikely. So if a change were made, it would make sense to the writer. So we can probably tie a can to the "similar to the Solich firing" argument.

This article seemed to hint at a few things.

-that Nebraska will not be a top 25 team next year, which won't make anyone happy.

-that four losses again seem likely, which could mean an 0-fer against the schools we agreed were the marquee games on the schedule next year, which won't make anyone happy. Or they trip up against one of the other schools we expected a win on, which won't make anyone happy.

-and that Bo and co needs a breakthrough year for job security, and he thinks it's unlikely. So if a change were made, it would make sense to the writer. So we can probably tie a can to the "similar to the Solich firing" argument.

Which means we don't end up with an upgrade, and likely have to look forward to 2 hires ahead for an upgrade.

I would be happy if it made you miserable for another year polo ;)

Thing is, I don't think Nebraska has 4 loss talent. That is to say I like the talent on this team. I think he's off where others think he's off. So poor fundamentals, special teams and coaching miscues lead to the four, if it happens.

The thought that we as a school can't an upgrade from that is positively ludicrous, no matter how many times people chant it.