Preseason Previews by McKewon: Huskers

Why am I not surprised? Don't you get tired beating that drum polo?

There's no drum. I'm on record saying I think the team is talented and should be better than four losses. When the line of reality gets blurred, like saying Bo isn't bad with the media, I'm going to refute it. Sorry.

I don't have a problem with you telling things as you feel and I also have some reserve ~ about if Bo has what it takes to build this team from where it is to where we hope to be. But I would guesstimate that 80% of your post are anti Bo. Can you think of anything positive to say about him, like he has a petite nose or anything? LOL

About Bo? Sure. And I've done it plenty of times. But it's telling that this board, which has an incredible gallons of sunshine per minute output, as a majority thinks they're going to lose four next year and not be a top 15 team.

Funny, I am on the fence about Bo, but I feel I constantly have to pump sunshine because we can't win a MNC every year. #90's_problems

Polo. When bo is bad with the media most if the time instead of once out of every 20 dealings (probably even more than that) then i might consider agreeing with you on it. Until then it is a crock of sh#t. Regardless what your opinion is.

Well regardless of what yours is, he's bad more often than that. He's snarky in wins, and defiant in losses.

Why am I not surprised? Don't you get tired beating that drum polo?

There's no drum. I'm on record saying I think the team is talented and should be better than four losses. When the line of reality gets blurred, like saying Bo isn't bad with the media, I'm going to refute it. Sorry.

I don't have a problem with you telling things as you feel and I also have some reserve ~ about if Bo has what it takes to build this team from where it is to where we hope to be. But I would guesstimate that 80% of your post are anti Bo. Can you think of anything positive to say about him, like he has a petite nose or anything? LOL

About Bo? Sure. And I've done it plenty of times. But it's telling that this board, which has an incredible gallons of sunshine per minute output, as a majority thinks they're going to lose four next year and not be a top 15 team.
Your statement is more telling of your own state of mind, rather than the collective of this board. The majority here do not think we are set up for four losses this year. If fact, in the over/under thread, the majority (20 of 35) voted Nebraska will lose under 3.5 games. 35 people, of course, is not the entire board, but simply a representation of it.
  • Fire 1

Bos gonna get us over the hump with a 11-1 reg season en route to a big ten championship. Braxton miller will be hurt for the year in week three as ohio st plummets to a 7-5 record followed by the resignation of urban meyer due to an "ailment". Bo rides off into the sunset towards Columbus with his middle finger in the air. "f#*k the fans"

I know you're joking, but if Bo thinks the media is bad in Lincoln I would love to see him try them on for size as a head coach in Columbus or the Sec
I dont think he thinks its bad here. I think he just deals with it like he does cuz its how he wants to handle it. Not to mention hes been pretty damn good with our media over the past few years aside from the iowa game blowout. This whole idea that he "hates" our media and is always bickering with them is such a crock of sh#t. If he had a championship of some sort hed get a complete free pass on this as saban does, whom happens to make bo look like a complete angel when it comes to dealing the media.

And yes i was joking. Yet i can see such a thing happen in the future. Minus the whole middle finger thing of course.

The media "thing" is not a crock. And to say he's a good guy with the media outside of the Iowa game is like saying OJ was a decent dude outside of the whole violent streak/stabby
The media thing might not be a crock, but it is overblown, and Bo's way of handling the media is not comparable to an alleged murderer.

Chill out, dude.

For me the conversation begins and ends with Armstrong. The whole season rides on him. I think our defense will be quite a force but you do need to score points eventually in this game to win. I basically discount last season in my thinking on Armstrong, not because it's totally irrelevant, but he quite unexpectedly was asked to take on the role of a 5th-year senior as a RS freshman. Probably gunna get killed for it, but I'm already far more comfortable with Armstrong at the helm than I ever was with Martinez.

What Sam wrote about the turnovers is exactly correct, and that's why Armstrong is my first and only point of emphasis. Taylor wasn't the only player to lose the football, but he seemed especially good at it. If we run our offense to Armstrong's strengths and he matures in the mental area of the game alone––I think he'll probably exceed our expectations in many ways as the season goes on––it will be enough to change the trajectory of Pelini's Nebraska. I like the talent on this team. I like that Ameer Abdullah plays for us, and for many of our opponents we can basically plan to hand him, Cross, Newby, and Taylor the ball until the opposing defenses collapse. I hope to see a few games where Armstrong hardly lifts a finger except to hand the ball off.

I'm more optimistic about this program than I have been in a long time, but I find my own reasoning a little silly. Basically it has to do with the look of the offense when Armstrong controls it. We obviously saw some ups and downs in his first crack at bat, but there was a visible difference between the team when he played and the team when Martinez played. I'd love to hear someone smarter than me explain why exactly that is (or even if it is). If Armstrong can finally be the guy we're waiting for––the QB who knows his job is to distribute the rock to the talent around him and to get rid of the ball quickly when the play isn't there––we have enough on the roster to take the team to the next level. I'm not going to put us in the playoffs before I see this team play someone with a pulse, but I'm not especially impressed with Steele's analysis this season, either.

• Fire 3

Polo. When bo is bad with the media most if the time instead of once out of every 20 dealings (probably even more than that) then i might consider agreeing with you on it. Until then it is a crock of sh#t. Regardless what your opinion is.

I'll grant you that Bo is better with the media than a some of his detractors claim.

But let's not pretend Bo doesn't have a problem with the media. Don't compare him to other coaches who are bad with the media. Compare him to college coaches on the whole, who are also representing the University and the State, where they are typically the highest paid state employee in which case media relations are part of the job description.

You can come up with any percentage you like, but Bo has been curt, snarky and defensive too often in his six years here.

And don't kid yourself: that 2011 post-Ohio State recording was the real Bo. How could it not be?

Bo has also gotten better with the media. He deserves credit for that. But he's gotten better because he had to. Because he realized he had a problem.

It's not ESPN or any sports media's fault how Bo is depicted. They show other coaches blowing up on the sideline. They show assitants and players blowing up on the sideline on any team in any sport. It's usually a pretty good insight into what's going on with the team. In Nebraska's case, out-of-control Bo matches up with the play of an undisciplined team. It's not an unfair observation. Just is what it is.

• Fire 1

I'll grant you that Bo is better with the media than a some of his detractors claim.

But let's not pretend Bo doesn't have a problem with the media. Don't compare him to other coaches who are bad with the media. Compare him to college coaches on the whole, who are also representing the University and the State, where they are typically the highest paid state employee in which case media relations are part of the job description.

You can come up with any percentage you like, but Bo has been curt, snarky and defensive too often in his six years here.

And don't kid yourself: that 2011 post-Ohio State recording was the real Bo. How could it not be?

Bo has also gotten better with the media. He deserves credit for that. But he's gotten better because he had to. Because he realized he had a problem.

It's not ESPN or any sports media's fault how Bo is depicted. They show other coaches blowing up on the sideline. They show assitants and players blowing up on the sideline on any team in any sport. It's usually a pretty good insight into what's going on with the team. In Nebraska's case, out-of-control Bo matches up with the play of an undisciplined team. It's not an unfair observation. Just is what it is.

Personally I don't find BPs dealing with the media that much different than a lot of coaches. Yes he is curt, snarky and defensive. So is Sabin, Dantonio, Spurrior, Stoops, Muschamp, Tubberville, Kelley, etc.

I guess I don't have a problem with guys that don't like to answer stupid questions. But, you know what, I rarely watch BPs press conferences because it really isn't that important to me. I never watched TO's or FS's either.