Bo Pelini: Eliminate Signing Day

I think it's also worth looking at this from the perspective of what is good and right for the sport - not just what is advantageous to Nebraska.

I'm far from convinced this would be good for the sport. I just see a greater division being created between the top tier schools and everyone else. Increased parity is part of what has improved CFB IMO. Anything that pushes us away from that is bad for the sport.

This could work great, or it could be a total failure. I just see Alabama concentrating 2 million a year on 30 5* kids, and Nebraska getting left with a bunch of 2 and 3* guys half way down our board.

But it's the random lower tier players that are offered as glorified backup plans. Either way, I still see it as having a positive effect and will put pressure on coaches to put more into their own evaluations and needs.

And I think since Nebraska isn't historically able to pull in those 4* and 5* guys at a high number, we're going to end up with A LOT more of those 3* guys because we can't risk going after a guy that is going to drag things out.

Now, like you said - we'll have to evaluate them much more...so maybe we'll have a higher number of 3* players that make an impact - but overall I think our talent level would drop some. This would create an even bigger divide between the haves of recruiting, and the have nots. Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Nortre Damn, Alabama, USC, etc...they're going to be able to wait. We won't.

Maybe. But look at it this way. Schools 1-20 are all offereing 4 and 5 star players A-D. School B doesnt get any of them and so they try to go after 3Star players E-S, but most to all of them have already signed with schools 20-50 who were evaluating the building relationships with these guys from the start. So now these top 20 schools are finding themselves settling for some 2 stars and lower and such. See, the signing at offer idea really neutralizes all the decommitting and late offer scenarios. How many times do we have a committ get late offers from "better" programs?

So yeah, it is a simple difference of opinion, and I think it'll have both negative and positive effects on the overall process as a whole, and on Nebraska as well.

I think it's also worth looking at this from the perspective of what is good and right for the sport - not just what is advantageous to Nebraska.

I'm far from convinced this would be good for the sport. I just see a greater division being created between the top tier schools and everyone else. Increased parity is part of what has improved CFB IMO. Anything that pushes us away from that is bad for the sport.

This could work great, or it could be a total failure. I just see Alabama concentrating 2 million a year on 30 5* kids, and Nebraska getting left with a bunch of 2 and 3* guys half way down our board.

yes Alabama may spend that much for 30 offers to fill say 19 spots. But if their offers and the commitments are enforced by the NCAA to be just more than paper. That would leave 81 more of the top 100 athletes to look at other schools such as Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa etc etc. Alabama wouldn't be able to offer all of them any more cause now that offer truly counts. They just like every other school has to be more selective. Which is great for all schools as the lower schools now have chances at top 100 athletes. Plus it's great for the student as they concentrate more on their schooling plus, not be hounded by coaches once they commit. Plus have the opportunity to see the Nebraska type schools they may not normally visit.

Yes Nebraska may take more 3 or 2 star players then they'd like some years. But so could Alabama, Ohio State, LSU. If they act slow. Other schools could act faster, offer first. Alabama's list of 30 athletes could dwindle down to 8 available before they knew it or contacted the athlete. This happens now. We scout and offer a 5* top 100 running back, he gives a verbal commit. Then all of a sudden 3 weeks before signing day Alabama offers and he signs with them. This would stop that scenario.

Yeah. Pretty much this. The ones that put an extreme emphasis on recruiting those kids will still get them.

Yeah. Pretty much this. The ones that put an extreme emphasis on recruiting those kids will still get them.

And those with the added advantage of being regional to the talent will get even more. Nebraska could dedicate 5 million and a staff of 50 and still not out recruit Alabama.

But they'd likely be top 10, which is all they need to be. Nebraska has to do twice as much to get in the same region as some of these other schools. I don't think anyone will debate that. Whether they've been doing twice as much however is entirely up for debate. I actually think most will agree they haven't. Maybe Bo and the big wigs finally accepted the fact that it will take twice as much, it's just the reality of today's recruiting. Something ol' Tom might not have agreed with, or supported as fact.

• Fire 1

This could eliminate oversigning...once a player has signed onto the school, he cannot back out and the school shouldn't be able to back out also. If the player backs out, he loses a year of eligibility and if the school backs out, they lose the scholarship for that year.

I was thinking maybe it could go in stages where a kid could name his top 20 then narrow it down to 5 by the start of his senior year and perhaps 3 by January 8th.

That way not only would coaches know who is still trying to get to Alabama, the players would know what options Alabama has at their position.

AND, if Pellini wanted an early firm commitment, a prospect would say 'my schools are NU + 4 schools from the MAC' thus making it extremely unlikely he will defect.