What makes a religion "valid?"

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient Jedi religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress...

You all know what happened next. A Jedi ain't nuttin' to f#*k wit.

• Fire 1

I know Christianity is a true path to God. Here’s my testimonial. LINK I also know some of the “religions” on your list are not true religions. FSM is not a religion. It’s an argument along the lines of: Since FSM can’t be proven false it should be accorded the same validity as God. (As I’ve said before, I think the whole FSM thing is a lazy, ineffective argument.) I also have varying degrees of skepticism towards the other line items on your list.

But I wouldn’t go so far as to say all religions aside from Christianity are false. (And I even think some Christian beliefs are misguided.) Take Judaism and Islam as examples. They both purport to worship the same God as Christians worship. Perhaps God communicated to them—that is, to Jews and Muslims—in a different manner than he communicated to Christians through Jesus Christ. Who can really know the truth of this? I guess we’ll find out when we die.

Validity is a somewhat complex subject. Why is Christianity any more valid than a belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Perhaps because Christianity has a large group of followers?

The only difference between a cult and a religion is the number of members.

• Fire 1

Validity is a somewhat complex subject. Why is Christianity any more valid than a belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Perhaps because Christianity has a large group of followers?

That's.... not exactly how cults and religions generally work.

I thought the difference between a cult and a religion is the acceptance/tolerance of specific beliefs by society in general. Whereas some people who aren't Christian tolerate the ideas of Christianity, because they are mostly harmless, those same people probably wouldn't tolerate daily blood sacrifices.