Corey Cooper: Top 5 Senior Safeties

Its nice to see a player getting some recognition from Mel Kiper. Kiper ranks Corey Cooper as the #3 Senior Safety for the NFL Draft. Obviously its really early and a whole season is to be played, but this kid has obviously put himself on the map with some solid tackling.

Corey Cooper from Nebraska led the Cornhuskers in tackles last season as the 6-1, 215-pounder was essentially an extra linebacker.

http://fansided.com/2014/06/12/2015-nfl-draft-mel-kipers-top-safety-prospects/#!YAFnd

Not sure what was said on insider, but here is the link there...

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Kiper-names-top-safeties-for-2015-NFL-draft-29110522

What does Corey Cooper do best? not trying to stir up anything, just curious what you guys think.

Leading tackler, 91 total tackles, 52 solo

That solo part shows how great he is at tackling to me, and what he does best. As his first year starting, its pretty good and I personally see him getting better.

IMO, he doesn't really stand out at anything. He's solid - doesn't miss many plays (except Michigan's TE down the sideline) but doesn't really make a lot of dynamic plays either. I'm sure someone will try to counter that he led the team in tackles but that has a lot to do with opportunity and how we play our defense. Almost everyone else on the team was in a pretty good rotation - Cooper is about the only one who played all the time.

I'm really kind of surprised that Kiper had him this high. I don't really think he's overly athletic. Maybe it's just his shoulder pads being so big that makes him look bigger and slower to me.

Edit: HNN beat met to the leading tackler point before I could type everything.

IMO, he doesn't really stand out at anything. He's solid - doesn't miss many plays (except Michigan's TE down the sideline) but doesn't really make a lot of dynamic plays either. I'm sure someone will try to counter that he led the team in tackles but that has a lot to do with opportunity and how we play our defense. Almost everyone else on the team was in a pretty good rotation - Cooper is about the only one who played all the time.

I'm really kind of surprised that Kiper had him this high. I don't really think he's overly athletic. Maybe it's just his shoulder pads being so big that makes him look bigger and slower to me.

One question... and not trying to start an argument, or a debate, but does a player have to have a lot of "dynamic" plays to be a top player?

To me, I would rather a solid player, who can get out there and get the job done, than a flashy guy who goes out and makes mistakes because of the way he plays. This kid wasn't perfect, as you would have expected being his first year out there as a starter, but I believe he did well, and even better than I had expected. If I remember right, most people thought (including myself) that Harvey Jackson (who transferred to BYU) would have been the starter, or Charles Jackson.

I think having solid players can make you a good defense. I think you have to have dynamic players to have a great defense. As you said, not trying to start an argument, but the Corey Coopers, Will Comptons, Cameron Merediths, Jason Ankrahs, Austin Cassidys and Baker Steinkuhlers make for good players and a decent team. They occasionally make a really good play and don't miss a lot of plays but they don't put you over the top. You need the Lavonte Davids, DeJon Gomes, Prince Amukamaras, Alfonzo Dennards Randy Gregorys and Ndamukong Suhs of the world to put your defense on the elite level. I don't see Cooper as that type of player. I think Alexander and Gerry are closer to that level - more athletic and will deliver game-changing plays in addition to making the plays you expect anyone who starts for the Huskers to make.

As an example, what would you say was the best play Cooper made last year? What really stands out?

Answer before you read this:

My guess is the tackle of Gurley in the Gator Bowl. That was a nice play against a good player but it was basically what he was supposed to do - he filled his gap and made the tackle. A good play but nothing really special about it. The only thing "special" is if you say "but what if he missed it?" but that's not the point. It's what you have to do to make the play that makes you a great player.

I think having solid players can make you a good defense. I think you have to have dynamic players to have a great defense. As you said, not trying to start an argument, but the Corey Coopers, Will Comptons, Cameron Merediths, Jason Ankrahs, Austin Cassidys and Baker Steinkuhlers make for good players and a decent team. They occasionally make a really good play and don't miss a lot of plays but they don't put you over the top. You need the Lavonte Davids, DeJon Gomes, Prince Amukamaras, Alfonzo Dennards Randy Gregorys and Ndamukong Suhs of the world to put your defense on the elite level. I don't see Cooper as that type of player. I think Alexander and Gerry are closer to that level - more athletic and will deliver game-changing plays in addition to making the plays you expect anyone who starts for the Huskers to make.

As an example, what would you say was the best play Cooper made last year? What really stands out?

Answer before you read this:

My guess is the tackle of Gurley in the Gator Bowl. That was a nice play against a good player but it was basically what he was supposed to do - he filled his gap and made the tackle. A good play but nothing really special about it. The only thing "special" is if you say "but what if he missed it?" but that's not the point. It's what you have to do to make the play that makes you a great player.

As far as single "standout" play, I can't say outside the Gurley play. I just remember seeing him make a lot of solid tackles, starting with that UCLA game. Those are imbedded because of us not having that the year before. Then he had quite a few tackles that kept us in the Gator Bowl with Georgia, outside of the Gurley tackle.

I just see him better than average, because he goes out there and fulfills his assignments. He shows he has an instinct to know where the ball is, makes the correct cuts and gets it done. To me, that is on another level than the previous players you named (not the elites). I don't think I have seen enough of him to say he can or can't take it to the next level. Let's see how he does as his 2nd year starting and running the backfield. I just believe he is just solid enough to be a high draft pick.

Unfortunately a play i remember is Cory trying to give yhe Penn St TE a hug along the sideline.

Cory really stared to emerge towards the end of the year. Hes a bigger physical guy and i think hes git a future in the league as someone who can play that safety spot and match up physically with these flexing TEs we're seeing all over the place.

One question... and not trying to start an argument, or a debate, but does a player have to have a lot of "dynamic" plays to be a top player?

To me, I would rather a solid player, who can get out there and get the job done, than a flashy guy who goes out and makes mistakes because of the way he plays. This kid wasn't perfect, as you would have expected being his first year out there as a starter, but I believe he did well, and even better than I had expected. If I remember right, most people thought (including myself) that Harvey Jackson (who transferred to BYU) would have been the starter, or Charles Jackson.

This is a great question and I think for many positions, the answer is a resounding "yes", but think about the main responsibility of a safety. You are the last line of defense. Don't let them score! Sure, we'd all like to see the safety blowing up guys with the hit stick the second they touch the ball, but think about how valuable a consistent and fundamentally sound tackling safety is (or think about when they're none of those things...won't mention any names...Harv....no). I'd rather have a safety who consistently makes the tackle than one who blows some guys up....and then blows some coverages.

In other news, think about how much he has progressed in the position in a relatively short period of time. I remember the coaches running him out there to start (way prematurely) at an unnatural position (corner) against Wyoming and him getting smoked all night...

Unfortunately a play i remember is Cory trying to give yhe Penn St TE a hug along the sideline.

You're right. I said Michigan but it was Penn State. That was the play that stood out the most to me as well (unfortunately).

I still don't blame Corey for that one. That's a result of bullsh#t targeting rules the NCAA has put into this game. Corey lowers his shoulder and comes in hot, that TE takes one step out of bounds, takes the hit and gives Penn St a 15 yard penalty with a potential ejection of Cooper. Corey doesn't, well, what happened happens.

You're right. I said Michigan but it was Penn State. That was the play that stood out the most to me as well (unfortunately).

I still don't blame Corey for that one. That's a result of bullsh#t targeting rules the NCAA has put into this game. Corey lowers his shoulder and comes in hot, that TE takes one step out of bounds, takes the hit and gives Penn St a 15 yard penalty with a potential ejection of Cooper. Corey doesn't, well, what happened happens.

Possibly. But that type of play is not at all uncommon. And 99% of the time the defender gets him out of bounds.

To be fair a good safety will put himself in a position to make an easy play, and that is what makes a great player. Kind of like when Suh knew he wouldn't get to the QB in time, he'd drop back, read the QB's eyes and that often led to a interception or knocked down ball. That is what I believe makes Cooper a good safety. He knows the defense and is good at being in the right position he is needed to make a play. Everybody remembers Stafford's hit on the Chattanooga RB. Everybody also remembers all his missed tackles when he went running in full speed and took the wrong angle of pursuit. Cooper has always been good at filling his lane during run plays.

Not bad accolades for a 1st year starter. This will be year 2 in the starting role. Kiper sees the performance, mixed with the promise.

IMO, he plays like Matt O'Hanlon. Solid play, very good tackler and plays within the system. I would love to have 2 guys back there as good as Matt was. I do not recall a better open field tackler in quite some time. Get someone opposite Coop who is a sure tackler and plays within the system and our DB's are looking very good. Coop played as a quiet leader who just did his job and went to the next play. The same "blue collar, hard worker, no nonsense guy we need back there. Just a solid play in and play out safety. Couple that with the experience as LB, the solid DL and our D could be something special. Our O limits TO's and this could be our year to finally get the 4 loss monkey off our back.