Husker Camp Countdown

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 7 Jake Cotton

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, AUG. 6

Jake Cotton | 6-6 | 305 | Sr. | Offensive Guard

Cotton started 11 games at left guard last year, limited by a knee injury late in the season. He has said he spent much of 2013 soaking in as much as he could from five senior veterans on the O-line. The unit will need new leadership now. Cotton’s the guy who’ll be setting the tone.

LINK

Had to correct the OWH page to state that Cotton is a Guard and not a Tackle. Come on, man.

• Fire 1

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 6 Josh Mitchell

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, THURSDAY, AUG. 7

Josh Mitchell | 5-11 | 160 | Sr. | Cornerback

Stop by one practice, and you’ll see how important Mitchell is to the defense. He’s the vocal leader, the one who pulls the group together for encouragement and motivation.

And Mitchell is a pretty good cornerback, too. He had his biggest impact at the Gator Bowl last season, recovering a fumble on special teams to lead to a score and intercepting a pass on the third play of the second half to set up another touchdown.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 5 Tommy Armstrong

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:08 AM, FRIDAY, AUG. 8

The World-Herald is counting down the top 50 Nebraska players you need to know heading into the 2014 season.

Tommy Armstrong | 6-1 | 220 pounds | Soph. | Quarterback

Armstrong got an eight-game head start on the NU quarterback job last season, sharing duties with fifth-year senior Ron Kellogg when fourth-year starter Taylor Martinez was sidelined by a foot injury. Although Armstrong didn’t put up eye-popping stats, the Huskers were 7-1 when he started, including a game-winning drive he directed at Michigan.

Armstrong will try to take the next step as a sophomore.

LINK

I'm a little surprised to see Tommy at #5. Thought he might be #1. Interesting.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 4 Corey Cooper

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:08 AM, SATURDAY, AUG. 9

The World-Herald is counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.

Corey Cooper | 6-1 | 215 | senior | safety

Good play at safety can be a big part of what makes a Bo Pelini defense work, and Nebraska has struggled to find it consistently in recent seasons.

Cooper started giving it to the Huskers as a junior, leading the team with 91 tackles, including 10 or more in three straight games. Teammates don’t hear much from Cooper, but he’s one of the leaders from the back and strongest in run support.

LINK

Coop becomes even more crucial to the Blackshirts in view of the loss of Alexander and Jackson.

So I'm going Bell-Gregory-Abdullah though it won't surprise me if the last two are switched.

Yeah, it's those three alright. I'm thinking the last two are switched, like you said: Bell-Abdullah-Gregory

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 3 Kenny Bell

POSTED: SUNDAY, AUGUST 10, 2014 8:00 AM By Rich Kaipust / World-Herald staff writer

The World-Herald is counting down the top 50 Nebraska players you need to know heading into the 2014 season.

Kenny Bell | 6-1 | 185 pounds | Senior | Wide receiver

A third straight 50-catch season would make Bell the Huskers’ all-time leader in receptions. Bell is currently No. 5 at 134, with Nate Swift at No. 1 with 166.

Charismatic and a fan favorite, Bell lends emotion to the Nebraska offense with his leadership and a jolt of energy with an occasional highlight-reel catch.

LINK

Kenny Bell is one of my all-time favorite Huskers. Two years ago I thought he was way better than Q. But then, perplexingly, his stats fell off last year. And a few weeks ago we found out it was due to injury. He could barely raise his hands above his head for much of last season. I hope he's healthy last year so we can see him at his peak performance for his Sr year. The guy has the wheels to get open, and can really make some circus catches.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 2 Randy Gregory

POSTED: MONDAY, AUGUST 11, 2014 8:00 AM By Rich Kaipust / World-Herald staff writer
The World-Herald is counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.
Randy Gregory | 6-6 | 240 | junior | defensive end
The emergence of the junior college transfer was so impressive last season that Nebraska had to sweat out Gregory’s decision about entering the NFL draft. Another campaign like his sophomore year, when he logged 10 sacks in the last eight games, and Gregory might be atop plenty of draft boards next spring if he comes out early.
One of the nation’s top returning pass-rushers, Gregory is now looking to become more consistent as a run-stopper. His value to the defense is magnified because of how thin the Huskers are at defensive end. Set to wear No. 4 as a junior after sporting No. 44 last season.

Where would we be without this guy?

Anyone notice there was no Greg McMullen on here. I would say that must be a major oversight. I'm thinking he should have been in about the 10 - 15 spot.

He really wasn't on here? Damn. Yeah, someone messed up...

PS - Running total: We've lost 3 of our top 13 players (according to the OWH) a week into camp.

Anyone notice there was no Greg McMullen on here. I would say that must be a major oversight. I'm thinking he should have been in about the 10 - 15 spot.

PS - Running total: We've lost 3 of our top 13 players (according to the OWH) a week into camp.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. It would probably be 4 of the top 15 or so if we included Moss. Pretty brutal. This is the first year in many I think we have enough depth to overcome those kinds of losses.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. It would probably be 4 of the top 15 or so if we included Moss. Pretty brutal. This is the first year in many I think we have enough depth to overcome those kinds of losses.

what happens when the depth gets injured in a game?? or in practice?? then what happens??

what happens when the depth gets injured in a game?? or in practice?? then what happens??

Then you suit up. Have fun.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 1 Ameer Abdullah

POSTED: TUESDAY, AUGUST 12, 2014 8:00 AM By Rich Kaipust / World-Herald staff writer
Ameer Abdullah | 5-9 | 195 pounds | Senior | I-back
Coming off a season with 281 rushing attempts and 26 pass receptions, there’s no arguing the I-back’s importance to the Nebraska offense. The Huskers clearly leaned on him down the stretch in 2014, when Abdullah averaged 24.7 carries in their last six games after averaging 19.0 in the first seven. The senior also produced 105-plus yards in 11 of those 13 games.
Has he proven all his doubters wrong yet? He's a household name in Husker Nation, but I think there are quite a few college football fans out there who haven't seen what Ameer can do.