What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

It's been an emotional night for me and I apologize for brashness and lack of graciousness to any of you guys. I do well with being patient to listen and respond in person but when I'm on a computer my frustration gets the better of me.

I don't want to get into pointless arguments about minute details of things that are ultimately inconsequential. Here's my heart towards what this represents, not towards this specific event, said by people better than me.

t is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.”
— Martin Luther King Jr., March 14, 1968

Sometimes I wonder how we get so up in arms and culturally empathetic with people in other countries. But can't do that in our own backyard. We rushed to Haiti. We Adopt in Asia. We empathize with Africa. But struggle to humanize our struggles here in the states. Some people are responding out of hurt and are met with smug responses. If I tell you my brother got killed in a gang war, would you tell me "That's what he gets! Shouldn't be gang banging!" Of course not.

As a Christian I see a Jesus empathize with the MOST undeserving people ever. He offers a thief on the cross a home in Paradise. He dies for a rioting mob of angry killers. He looks upon a sinful world with compassion. And here we stand saying we believe that and all the while unfazed at the pain of a community. Offering statements that don't comfort but only add salt to a wound we refuse to see. It's hurtful. I don't want anything to do with that kind of "Churchianity". When, "I lost respect for you!" is said toward my expression of pain, all I hear is "Get over it!"
If only it were that easy.

If you are disappointed in me. Well you clearly can't understand my pain. This Ferguson case was a mascot for something much bigger. Something people want to hope for."

- Lecrae

10433114_10152493162288317_1591401713510

- Mike Brown's parents.

To hit home his point, Stewart told a story about Daily Show correspondent Michael Che, who is African-American, being stopped while entering a building “in this liberal bastion” of New York City. The white producer who accompanied Che entered without incident, even though he was “dressed in what could only be described as homeless elf attire and a pretty strong five-o’clock-from-the-previous-week shadow,” according to Stewart.
Che, meanwhile, was “dressed resplendently in a tailored suit.”
“That s**t happens all the time, all of it,” Stewart said right before going to a commercial break. “Race is there, and it is a constant. You’re tired of hearing about it? Imagine how f**king exhausting it is living it.”
- Jon Stewart
tumblr_mylr2eZdQC1sqhsxxo1_250.gif
tumblr_mylr2eZdQC1sqhsxxo2_250.gif
  • Fire 1

Cops don't operate with "near impunity and a double standard" you're misinformed and you assume that.

In regards to this specific claim I'm not talking about this specifically - I'm explaining that to the people rioting, this situation is representative of the claim. I don't claim to know anything for certain re: Michael Brown and Darrin Wilson. The only thing I know is why people are upset and why protests and riots are happening, and that the reality of racism and oppression towards minorities is very real and legitimate, even if this event isn't the perfect example of it.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/ferguson-michael-brown-indictment-darren-wilson/

Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.

“If the prosecutor wants an indictment and doesn’t get one, something has gone horribly wrong,” said Andrew D. Leipold, a University of Illinois law professor who has written critically about grand juries. “It just doesn’t happen.”
Cases involving police shootings, however, appear to be an exception. As my colleague Reuben Fischer-Baum has written, we don’t have good data on officer-involved killings. But newspaper accounts suggest, grand juries frequently decline to indict law-enforcement officials. A recent Houston Chronicle investigation found that “police have been nearly immune from criminal charges in shootings” in Houston and other large cities in recent years. In Harris County, Texas, for example, grand juries haven’t indicted a Houston police officer since 2004; in Dallas, grand juries reviewed 81 shootings between 2008 and 2012 and returned just one indictment. Separate research by Bowling Green State University criminologist Philip Stinson has found that officers are rarely charged in on-duty killings, although it didn’t look at grand jury indictments specifically.

And this can't possibly be because of the training our officers receive today and the fact that they just happened to be right in these officer involved shootings huh? So unless we're indicting several officers in these shootings just to make the numbers look good something's wrong? We don't go around shooting people just because, we do it because we are in fear for our lives or the life of another. Our first priority is to protect lives, our life falls in that priority.

Think about it this way, the grand jury has been investigating this for 3 months.................3 months for a situation that took 90 seconds to occur.

It's been an emotional night for me and I apologize for brashness and lack of graciousness to any of you guys. I do well with being patient to listen and respond in person but when I'm on a computer my frustration gets the better of me. I don't want to get into pointless arguments about minute details of things that are ultimately inconsequential. Here's my heart towards what this represents, not towards this specific event, said by people better than me. t is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.”

— Martin Luther King Jr., March 14, 1968 Sometimes I wonder how we get so up in arms and culturally empathetic with people in other countries. But can't do that in our own backyard. We rushed to Haiti. We Adopt in Asia. We empathize with Africa. But struggle to humanize our struggles here in the states. Some people are responding out of hurt and are met with smug responses. If I tell you my brother got killed in a gang war, would you tell me "That's what he gets! Shouldn't be gang banging!" Of course not.

As a Christian I see a Jesus empathize with the MOST undeserving people ever. He offers a thief on the cross a home in Paradise. He dies for a rioting mob of angry killers. He looks upon a sinful world with compassion. And here we stand saying we believe that and all the while unfazed at the pain of a community. Offering statements that don't comfort but only add salt to a wound we refuse to see. It's hurtful. I don't want anything to do with that kind of "Churchianity". When, "I lost respect for you!" is said toward my expression of pain, all I hear is "Get over it!"

If only it were that easy.

If you are disappointed in me. Well you clearly can't understand my pain. This Ferguson case was a mascot for something much bigger. Something people want to hope for."- Lecrae 10433114_10152493162288317_1591401713510 - Mike Brown's parents. To hit home his point, Stewart told a story about Daily Show correspondent Michael Che, who is African-American, being stopped while entering a building “in this liberal bastion” of New York City. The white producer who accompanied Che entered without incident, even though he was “dressed in what could only be described as homeless elf attire and a pretty strong five-o’clock-from-the-previous-week shadow,” according to Stewart. Che, meanwhile, was “dressed resplendently in a tailored suit.” “That s**t happens all the time, all of it,” Stewart said right before going to a commercial break. “Race is there, and it is a constant. You’re tired of hearing about it? Imagine how f**king exhausting it is living it.”- Jon Stewart tumblr_mylr2eZdQC1sqhsxxo1_250.giftumblr_mylr2eZdQC1sqhsxxo2_250.gif

There is nothing wrong with protests, assemblies, sit ins or whatever other peaceful demonstration. These riots are ridiculous and do nothing but further the divide, burning down the livelihoods of some of their fellow demonstrators, and further splitting a community.

And your post above from the Brown family hits home even harder for me. "We are profoundly disappointed that the killer of our child will not face the consequence of his actions." I would argue their child made the decision for Officer Wilson that day, he faced a consequence for HIS actions. It's sad sure, no question, I wish it never would've happened, but Officer Wilson didn't get ready for work that day and say, "Man, I hope I get to kill someone today!" The problem is, these folks feel like the system has failed them, it hasn't, the system is what it is, how about trying to think that your son really did do something wrong that day and made a very poor choice.

If he would've killed this cop there would've been no outrage, that's why cops are there in some folks eyes, to die. "We request a moment of silence for 4 1/2 minutes because our son's body laid in the street for 4 1/2 hours!" Officers have been killed at the hands of bad people and their bodies have laid in the very spot where they died for 12 hours or longer! Injustice indeed..........

There is nothing wrong with protests, assemblies, sit ins or whatever other peaceful demonstration. These riots are ridiculous and do nothing but further the divide, burning down the livelihoods of some of their fellow demonstrators, and further splitting a community.

I don't disagree, but I understand it, and don't know how better to respond other than requoting MLK over and over.

"“t is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention."

• Fire 1

I don't disagree, but I understand it, and don't know how better to respond other than requoting MLK over and over. "“t is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention."

People may feel that way but they should embrace King's philosophy.

I've decided that, on this question of non-violence, I’m going to stand by it. I'm going to love because it's just lovely to love. I'm going to be non-violent because I believe it is the answer to mankind's problems. I'm not going to bargain with reality, but I’m going to stand by non-violence in spite of. And so I say to you that I've taken a vow—I, Martin Luther King, take thee, Non-violence, to be my wedded wife, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer—this isn't a bargaining experience—for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part. I'm going on in the faith and with that determination. I believe if we maintain faith and then escalate our actions we will be able to go to Washington and we will be able to create vibrant movement throughout the cities of our country. And by the thousands we will move, and many will wonder where we are coming from, and our only answer will be that we are coming up out of great trials and tribulations. Some of us will come from Mississippi, some of us will come from Alabama, some from Chicago, some from Detroit, some from Cleveland, but we will all be coming from the same condition. We will be seeking a city whose builder and maker is God. And if we will do this, we will be able to turn this nation upside down and right side up, and we may just be able to speed up the day when men everywhere will be able to cry out that we are children of God, made in his image. This will be a glorious day; at that moment the morning stars will sing together, and the souls of God will shout for joy.

• Fire 1

And your post above from the Brown family hits home even harder for me. "We are profoundly disappointed that the killer of our child will not face the consequence of his actions." I would argue their child made the decision for Officer Wilson that day, he faced a consequence for HIS actions. It's sad sure, no question, I wish it never would've happened, but Officer Wilson didn't get ready for work that day and say, "Man, I hope I get to kill someone today!" The problem is, these folks feel like the system has failed them, it hasn't, the system is what it is, how about trying to think that your son really did do something wrong that day and made a very poor choice.

If he would've killed this cop there would've been no outrage, that's why cops are there in some folks eyes, to die. "We request a moment of silence for 4 1/2 minutes because our son's body laid in the street for 4 1/2 hours!" Officers have been killed at the hands of bad people and their bodies have laid in the very spot where they died for 12 hours or longer! Injustice indeed..........

Cops choose to be cops. There is absolutely no doubt it is hard and can be unfair, but at the end of the day that is a choice they made for themselves, along with the baggage.

Black people don't choose to be black, and don't have the choice of being twice as likely to be stopped, charged and found guilty of crimes by the justice system in our country.

People may feel that way but they should embrace King's philosophy.

Of course you think they should.

But why should I think that way if I'm a black person? As far as I can tell, King's philosophy doesn't work, because 50 years later our country looks pretty close to the same at times, and white people still killed him anyways.

Again, I agree with you and I embrace MLK Jr's theology and philosophy, but the people that don't have a real reason (even if it's not justified) for not believing in it. They are the ones actually affected by social injustice and oppression. Not you and I.

How mad do you think Dr King would be now if he saw how folks are carrying on... maybe something like this???

Seriously NSFW, and probably some folks will find this HELLA offensive...

The cartoon is the Boondocks, on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim...

Not watching your video but I would imagine he would be incredibly heartbroken and troubled right now, in very much the same way he was when he was alive.

Cops choose to be cops. There is absolutely no doubt it is hard and can be unfair, but at the end of the day that is a choice they made for themselves, along with the baggage.

Black people don't choose to be black, and don't have the choice of being twice as likely to be stopped, charged and found guilty of crimes by the justice system in our country.

I'm done with you dude, when you sacrifice for someone else we'll talk. The baggage as you so politely put it doesn't mean I get to die cause I'm a cop and two things you shouldn't be commenting on because you have no idea is "the baggage" and being black.

• Fire 2

Something to think about...

Up until now, the cop that shot this kid has been painted in such a negative light, he'd have to go live on Greenland to not be hassled about it.

But think about this. How much do we really know about this kid? How do we not know that he wanted to be some hood rat, wanna be gangster?

It's easy to point your fingers at cops because they are bound to serve and protect, and any deviation from that, the media goes crazy. Whereas this kid can commit crimes, and it's just another tale of misguided youth...

Are you f'ing kidding? This is the stupidest thing I read in this thread. They may not get to choose what color their skin is, but they sure as f'ing hell get to choose their actions. Choose the wrong one, suffer the consequences.

• Fire 3