A Candid Conversation With Nebraska Offensive Coordinator Tim Beck, Parts 1 & 2

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/6/29/5844500/nebraska-football-offensive-coordinator-tim-beck-interview

CN: Would you say tight ends and fullbacks are becoming obsolete in college football?

TB: Absolutely. The game's become more athletic. It's almost basketball on grass. I think when you- back in the day- if when you think of it, all the way around: concussions. There are fewer practices. The NFL only has so many days in full pads. It's almost like, "No hitting with the head, no this, no that", no late hit, throw the guy out, protecting the players.

All these things that are developing, don't get me wrong, they're good things, but it shows the game is making a change to becoming less physical. They're trying to get it to be less physical by the rules and the regulations, again, for safety because guys are bigger, stronger, faster.

So it's turned in to more basketball on grass, and as schematics, if you have four legitimate wide receivers lined up, you have to cover em, so you wanna have no help? Play what we call Cover Zero and there's nobody helping?

You have seven guys in the box and four guys covering four guys. You have one guy helping? You have six guys in the box and play man to man with one guy helping or if you have two guys helping you have five guys in the box.

That's it. There's nothing else they can do. So it actually cleans up the picture, and it cleans up what the defense, how they can line up, when that happens, so the more guys you have in there (in the box), the more they can put in there, and the more they can move those guys around. The more you spread em out, the more they have to spread out to cover them, and the less they can move those guys around and some of those guys can't cover that guy. You know what I mean? That's why they game is turning into that more.

• Fire 1

Basketball on grass. Huh. Except for that, you know, tackling thing we do in football. How about Rex Burkhead takes a run at Steve Nash in the A gap, and you let me know how well the whole basketball on grass thing holds up.

Fire Beck immediately for such blasphemy.

I'd take a Stanford, Alabama, Wisconsin or Michigan State offense any day. Go back to power running with play action passing.

This. Sometimes it appears Beck and co are trying to chase trends. Nebraska had an identity for decades. Let's return to it.

Basketball on grass. Huh. Except for that, you know, tackling thing we do in football. How about Rex Burkhead takes a run at Steve Nash in the A gap, and you let me know how well the whole basketball on grass thing holds up.

we already are playing like it is BB on grass...hell, we can't tackle worth a damn!

we already are playing like it is BB on grass...hell, we can't tackle worth a damn!
And the other teams tend to steal our dribbles
  • Fire 1