Children and immigration reform

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Where are the direct queries the administration isn't responding to? Who is making that claim?

Where is the publicly listed info on the flights? The original tweet said Mayorkas refused to provide the details.

• Plus1 1

Just now, DevoHusker said:

Where is the publicly listed info on the flights? The original tweet said Mayorkas refused to provide the details.

The original tweet from... the right-wing anti-immigrant source? That original tweet?

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I want contributors to have access. From what I have seen, this isn't the way to do it, for reasons previously stated.

These are people who go through a process set up for them to be granted legal access before they get here. They then are granted the ability to get jobs and start a life.  I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

These are people who go through a process set up for them to be granted legal access before they get here. They then are granted the ability to get jobs and start a life.  I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

I don't know how it works in specific terms, so you might be right, but there are so many issues when people in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala or even China or Haiti, fill out an application on a cell phone app, then get picked up at an airport, flown to the central US, then given a pass for two years with a promise to show up at a hearing somewhere. Have they been issued the legal ability to do so? I cannot find that answer, and has the heated discussion earlier show, there are several points of contention. 

Do we have HSI or BP agents at those foreign airports? Have these folks been vetted by their home Countries? All good questions I would think. And, if it is such a good deal, why was it done in secret? You know that I am on the record that I WANT the hardworking family folks to be able to legally come here and start a better life...but not until after the border is secure.

Remember, the 300k+ number is over and above the reported/known number of over 2.5 million in 2023 alone...and we are on pace to surpass that this year. If we don't have a defined and defended border, we have no sovereignty. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Have they been issued the legal ability to do so?

Yes, the term inadmissible simply means they have not been granted permission to enter the country.  So, if they show up at the border, they can't come in legally.  By going through the app, they fill out the pertinent information, our government has that information and grants them access if they don't see a red flag.  So, when the plane lands, they are here legally.

That's pretty much what I gathered from the link I provided.

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, the term inadmissible simply means they have not been granted permission to enter the country.  So, if they show up at the border, they can't come in legally.  By going through the app, they fill out the pertinent information, our government has that information and grants them access if they don't see a red flag.  So, when the plane lands, they are here legally.

That's pretty much what I gathered from the link I provided.

It really is that simple. Of course, anti-immigrant nationalists on the far right fringe are going to use whatever rhetoric they can to scare Americans about it. And it's sad that this is so effective.

• TBH 2

Reading comprehension should be a focus in our schools. 

The headline states, very clearly, that the word "secretly" is unfounded. It is not a secret. They publish the numbers every month. The AP article gives a breakdown of these parolees by nationality. 

The racist CIS article that started this whole stupid conversation insinuated that this was some clandestine effort to bring bad people to America. It's nothing like that, at all.

America's economy depends on these workers. Yeah, they're a different race than you. That doesn't make it a problem. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, it really doesn't.  What's untrue is the word "secretly".  It wasn't done secretly.  

Okay. Serious question, did you know about it more than 36 hours ago? 320,000 flown by the US govt into our Nation's interior is usually something that would get picked up by news sources, no?

• TBH 1
5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Okay. Serious question, did you know about it more than 36 hours ago? 320,000 flown by the US govt into our Nation's interior is usually something that would get picked up by news sources, no?

No, but there's a hell of a lot of stuff I don't know about and it's not because it's some clandestine secret from the government.  

I did always figure there was some process on line that people could use to apply to get into the country.  That's basically what this is.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3