Children and immigration reform

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Why is it always about the "source"....and not the information? I can find "sources" that say the SPLC is a liberal mouthpiece, but it doesn't change the fact that over 300,000 inadmissible foreign citizens were flown, in secrecy, to 43 undisclosed airports within the US borders in the past year, by the current administration. Because they filled out a form on an app. Then to be released from 43 airports with a promise to appear in two years for additional hearings. That doesn't even make sense.

Did you know that 25%- 40% of those awaiting additional hearings don't even show up? They have simply disappeared within the US. That is a low ball estimate. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/26/how-many-migrants-show-up-immigration-court-hearings/  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/234386/failure-to-appear-for-us-immigration-court-proceedings/

CBP One?

Because they would not qualify for admission if they presented in person at the border.

Not sure what you mean. All the information regarding CPB One has come from a Freedom of Information Act request. 

No, because the Administration was keeping it hidden.

It's about the source because the only people calling them "inadmissible" are right-wing anti-immigration nutters, and their right-wing disinformation news mouthpieces. And then you quote them, using their terminology ("inadmissible" ""secrecy" "undisclosed") without doing even basic fact-checking. 

As @BigRedBuster just pointed out, these people are going through a legal process to come here and work. 

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

CBP One?

Because they would not qualify for admission if they presented in person at the border.

Not sure what you mean. All the information regarding CPB One has come from a Freedom of Information Act request. 

CBP One can't be the answer, because that is neither secretive nor illegal. There's an easily-findable government web page describing the program.

"Because they would not qualify for admission if they presented in person at the border."

Can you verify this statement? If the program we're talking about here is actually CBP One, that's verifiably false. The SOURCE you're getting this claim from is an anti-immigration organization. That's why sources matter

"Not sure what you mean. All the information regarding CPB One has come from a Freedom of Information Act request."

Again, you're paraphrasing from a known anti-immigration organization. That's why I specifically asked you for a source that isn't right-wing. 

"No, because the Administration was keeping it hidden."

And again, you're paraphrasing from a known anti-immigration organization.

• TBH 2
6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Why is it always about the "source"

That’s a pretty easy answer.   They don’t like the factual information provided, can’t refute it, so they try and demonize it using  organizations like the extreme left SPLC to spread disinformation or claim “fruit of a rotten tree” about legitimate facts, etc…..It’s a playbook as old as time.  

Providing your factual basis is all you can do.    

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Depends on the immigrant, I suppose. Georgia has a large agricultural sector, so there's lots of migrant workers there depending on when harvest is. Remember a few years ago when they changed their immigration laws in 2011 and farmers had no one to help with harvest? 

Immigrants, especially the southern border immigrants we've been talking about so much lately, spread all over the country, following lower-wage blue collar jobs that Americans don't want to do anymore. 

Personally, I'd never live in Georgia or Florida, or Texas, on a permanent basis, mostly because half the year the climate is WAY too hot for me. I don't know how people live in Georgia. Florida at least has ocean/gulf breezes. Texas, even Houston, is just too freaking hot. Georgia is hot and humid as hell. Ugh. 

The climate would be annoying in some of those SE states.  10 months are sort of okay, 2 months are so freaking gross.

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Why is it always about the "source"....and not the information? I can find "sources" that say the SPLC is a liberal mouthpiece, but it doesn't change the fact that over 300,000 inadmissible foreign citizens were flown, in secrecy, to 43 undisclosed airports within the US borders in the past year, by the current administration. Because they filled out a form on an app. Then to be released from 43 airports with a promise to appear in two years for additional hearings. That doesn't even make sense.

Did you know that 25%- 40% of those awaiting additional hearings don't even show up? They have simply disappeared within the US. That is a low ball estimate. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/26/how-many-migrants-show-up-immigration-court-hearings/  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/234386/failure-to-appear-for-us-immigration-court-proceedings/

CBP One?

From last year about the controversial CBO One app

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cbp-one-app-us-border-asylum-biden/

Currently, CBP One allows migrants to request humanitarian exemptions to Title 42. But after the pandemic-era rule is lifted, the app will allow migrants to avoid being subjected to a soon-to-be-published regulation that will bar migrants from asylum if they failed to seek refuge in a third country en route to the U.S. Those who fail to use the app and cross into the U.S. illegally will risk being promptly deported.

Anyone with a smartphone can download CBP One. But migrants seeking an exemption to Title 42 can only secure an appointment if they are north of Mexico City, due to a geofencing limit placed by U.S. officials.

The app, which is available in English, Spanish and Haitian creole, asks migrants to create a profile and submit a photo of their face and basic information, such as their legal name, nationality and date of birth.

On paper, the app says Title 42 exemptions are only available to those with a physical or mental illness or a disability; pregnant women; migrants lacking safe and stable housing in Mexico; those under the age of 21 or over the age of 70; or asylum-seekers who have been threatened or harmed in Mexico. The app, however, does not require migrants to prove they are part of one of the vulnerable groups.

so where are the flights originating from?  Where are they landing?  

https://www.cbp.gov/about/mobile-apps-directory/cbpone

If asylum seekers have to present themselves at the following ports of entry, why the need to fly people into the US in secret? Now I could be wrong, but the CBP.gov website isn’t “far right wing”

CBP One™ is available now to schedule appointments. CBP One™ and the Advance Submission and Appointment Scheduling process are free to use. Noncitizens located in Central or Northern Mexico who seek to travel to the United States may use the U.S. Customs and Border Protection CBP One™ app to submit information in advance and schedule an appointment to present themselves at the below Southwest Border land ports of entry (POEs):

• Arizona: Nogales
  • Texas: Brownsville, Eagle Pass, Hidalgo, Laredo, and El Paso
  • California: Calexico and San Ysidro

• Plus1 2

Regardless of your position on immigration, the simple truth is that the numbers are overwhelming. There are not enough government employees in any capacity to either process or round up the undocumented. 

And anyone with a proposed policy knows it. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Regardless of your position on immigration, the simple truth is that the numbers are overwhelming. There are not enough government employees in any capacity to either process or round up the undocumented. 

And anyone with a proposed policy knows it. 

Absolutely agree 

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

CBP One can't be the answer, because that is neither secretive nor illegal. There's an easily-findable government web page describing the program.

"Because they would not qualify for admission if they presented in person at the border."

Can you verify this statement? If the program we're talking about here is actually CBP One, that's verifiably false. The SOURCE you're getting this claim from is an anti-immigration organization. That's why sources matter

"Not sure what you mean. All the information regarding CPB One has come from a Freedom of Information Act request."

Again, you're paraphrasing from a known anti-immigration organization. That's why I specifically asked you for a source that isn't right-wing. 

"No, because the Administration was keeping it hidden."

And again, you're paraphrasing from a known anti-immigration organization.

The program was not secretive, the flights carrying over 300k undocumented people into the US were.

Every source I have seen quotes the original, which you say doesn't count because it's right-wing. Please provide your contradiction sources.

Did you know about it prior to this recent release of information? I didn't, but perhaps I missed something. If so, provide your source please. 

The first I heard of it was when I shared the tweet. Perhaps it wasn't "hidden", but merely secretive.

BTW, the CBP One program has been proven to be a tool used by the drug cartels to take advantage of unwary immigrants through Mexico...why do you support their human trafficking?  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/?p=2144244 

• Fire 2
7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The program was not secretive, the flights carrying over 300k undocumented people into the US were.

Every source I have seen quotes the original, which you say doesn't count because it's right-wing. Please provide your contradiction sources.

Did you know about it prior to this recent release of information? I didn't, but perhaps I missed something. If so, provide your source please. 

The first I heard of it was when I shared the tweet. Perhaps it wasn't "hidden", but merely secretive.

BTW, the CBP One program has been proven to be a tool used by the drug cartels to take advantage of unwary immigrants through Mexico...why do you support their human trafficking?  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/?p=2144244 

The flights weren't secretive, they were documented in the monthly reports. 

What "original" are you talking about? The right-wing link you provided? There are not "contradictory sources" to claims the flights were "secretive" or "illegal" because that was, apparently, made up out of whole cloth by the anti-immigration source you continue to use. At some point you have to realize you used a poor source for this latest outrage and walk it back. There's no evidence that any of their claims are true. They quote zero administration sources. The entire article you're using is extremely vague. 

I didn't know about this right-wing frothiness until you posted about it, no. And then just some basic research about the source of the froth, the openly available MONTHLY REPORTS that the government puts out about this program, and the lack of any quote or verifiable source for any of the claims your source makes was enough to show that this is yet another in a litany of outrages you put here that are based on basically nothing. 

How can a program be "hidden" or "secretive" when they have a website and they produce monthly reports that you can find with a five-second google search? This is where we apply critical thinking skills and realize our source for this outrage is not credible. 

17 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Now you're just being silly. What are you even saying here? Drug cartels will use a spoon to "take advantage of unwary immigrants through Mexico" if it benefits them. Good tools can be used for bad by bad people. Do you still use spoons? Why do you support human trafficking? C'mon. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

You may want to ask the person arguing with you to identify EXACTLY where in the CBP website those flights are documented at.   He/she continually just gives the generic site and says “see it’s here”.  However, from what I can tell, the stats are for southern and northern border encounters and not flights that originate from other countries and pass over the southern ports of entry straight into a US airport.  Maybe you and I are missing the stat on the website, but if the poster has seen it, he/she would EASILY be able to link specifically to it.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

"The Administration was keeping it hidden"

We cannot be talking about CBP One, then. 

They literally put out monthly reports describing the program and its results.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What is the exact webpage the information on the flights is listed on, that is public? I would like to see those, since the Administration isn't answering direct queries.

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just so I'm clear.  We now DON'T want immigrants that use a legal system to come to the US where they are given the ability to find a job and contribute to the economy? 

I want contributors to have access. From what I have seen, this isn't the way to do it, for reasons previously stated.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

What is the exact webpage the information on the flights is listed on, that is public? I would like to see those, since the Administration isn't answering direct queries.

Where are the direct queries the administration isn't responding to? Who is making that claim?