B1G is now officially a 14-team with Rutgers and Terps

Maryland joins the conference, but doesn't play in Lincoln until 2019 at the earliest? That's just not right. The divisions are nearly as big as the Big 8, an entire conference. Going independent almost sounds better than being in the Big Ten.

2016, November 19th I believe. Terps vs. Huskers @ Memorial Stadium. Anyway I agree, too many teams. Or else expanded conference games from 9 to 13, total of 16 like NFL (3 non-conference foes + 13 = 16). I know, never happen.

:sarcasm on ...

How about year round? A few bye weeks, perhaps 42 out of 52 games per one season. Good idea huh? No more off-season waits ....

:sarcasm off ...

Independent? God damn. Some of you are thinking and worrying way too much about this. Its all irelevant considering its all gonna be flipped upsidedown AGAIN within the next 5 years.

Tend to agree with this.

1. Re: Independent. How would Nebraska possibly be better off independent than in a conference? Especially the B1G? Scheduling issues, dealing with finding a home for non-revenue sports, TV issues (we're not getting our own NBC deal, I can assure you of that). Even ND would rather belong to a conference -- just on their own terms (allowing some extra flexibility in their schedule). I just think people are a bit short-sighted when they say this, and this is not the first time I've heard that.

2. Disclaimer: I hate the current 14-team arrangement. I really liked playing the big boys every year … funny how for decades all I ever heard from Nebraska fans was how overrated the Big Ten was, yet immediately they threw up their hands when we saw a schedule that featured all the premier teams in the league. Those teams ARE the Big Ten. What's the problem?

3. It's a crappy setup, and I have to think that Delany -- infinitely smarter and more business savvy than I'll ever have to worry about being -- understands this too. Like the Count, I have to think this setup is just a holding pattern. Gut feeling, there are probably more big changes on the horizon (next handful of years).

Or Delaney thinks Nebraska cant get over the hump and wants them to consistently comptete for a watered down division. No team in the West has the appeal of Nebraska. Peoplle will tune in to watch Nebraska vs Ohio State, Michigan Penn State or Sparty in a conference title game.

Delaney knows what he's doing. As it has already been mentioned, this is all about the money and has absolutely zero to do with athletics. As college sports becomes more and more like professional sports, those in charge need to keep the money rolling in. When the NCAA is shown the door by the richest conferences, Delaney wants the B1G in the thick of things. It's better to be proactive rather than reactive in this instance.