B1G is now officially a 14-team with Rutgers and Terps

I want a 12 team conference. Not playing Michigan for five (FIVE!) years is ridiculous. Maybe the 9-game conference schedule will help, but right now I feel the conference is too big and unwieldy.

i never understood the rush to expand. 12 is a good number. now we just have more mouths to feed. just have a really good product. i hope delaney knows what he is doing, but it seems like even if it is the correct move in regards to the financials, it still produces a much weaker product.

Still want Oklahoma. Even if it has to expand the Big 10 to 16.

In the current 14 team conference. Why not play 12 conference games. You play 12 teams, and 1 rotates off, and the one that was off rotates on the next year and then just go down the line.

Wouldn't ever see out of conference games but why would you need to?

I understand why they expanded to 14 teams, and why they chose Maryland & Rutgers, but if the Big Ten were to decide to expand again I sure hope we could bring in some old Big Eight teams. My suggestion would be to start with Oklahoma & Kansas. However considering those two states also have state-schools in Oklahoma State & Kansas State, the Big Ten might be forced to take them also if they want Oklahoma & Kansas. Let Texas join the SEC. Ultimately, someday I really think the Big Ten is going to become a 20 team conference.

Just for fun can you imagine this potential setup for Thanksgiving Rivalry weekend every year...

helmet_fathead.jpg VS OU_helmet.jpg

Helmet_Michigan.jpgVS FBhelmet.jpg

• Fire 1

I want a 12 team conference. Not playing Michigan for five (FIVE!) years is ridiculous. Maybe the 9-game conference schedule will help, but right now I feel the conference is too big and unwieldy.

Future five years Nebraska schedule: (2014 thru 2018)

Maryland, once, 2016 (home)

Indiana, once, 2016 (away)

Penn St, once, 2017 (away)

Michigan, once, 2018 (away)

Rutgers, three times, 2014, 2015, 2017 (2 home, 1 away)

Michigan State, three times, 2014, 2015, 2018 (2 home, 1 away)

Ohio State, three times, 2016, 2017, 2018 (1 home, 2 away)

Of course all remaining B1G teams, Wisky, Minny, Iowa, Purdue, NW and Illinois; five times out of five consecutive years because West conference.

I noticed 2016 will be tough; Badgers, Buckeyes and Hawkeyes, all away starting at October 29 2016 with no bye week in between. Plus non-conference foes, Fresno St and Oregon Ducks and no cupcakes, Wyoming (led by Craig Bohl).

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/nebraska-cornhuskers.php

Future five years Nebraska schedule: (2014 thru 2018)

Maryland, once, 2016 (home)

Indiana, once, 2016 (away)

Penn St, once, 2017 (away)

Michigan, once, 2018 (away)

Rutgers, three times, 2014, 2015, 2017 (2 home, 1 away)

Michigan State, three times, 2014, 2015, 2018 (2 home, 1 away)

Ohio State, three times, 2016, 2017, 2018 (1 home, 2 away)

Of course all remaining B1G teams, Wisky, Minny, Iowa, Purdue, NW and Illinois; five times out of five consecutive years because West conference.

I noticed 2016 will be tough; Badgers, Buckeyes and Hawkeyes, all away starting at October 29 2016 with no bye week in between. Plus non-conference foes, Fresno St and Oregon Ducks and no cupcakes, Wyoming (led by Craig Bohl).

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/nebraska-cornhuskers.php

They had to make some funky changes to the schedules to figure in these extra teams. 2015 could be a very nice year if the team can finally jell (especially with the promising recruiting we've had) - the toughest game is away at Miami, but everything else is very winnable. If 2015 is yet another 4 loss season, then f#%k me, f#%k Pelini, and f#%k your mother.

Look at the road schedule for 2018 though. Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State, Iowa: all away. F#%k us all.

Edit: sorry for the potty mouth, I'm just sleepy.

I understand why they expanded to 14 teams, and why they chose Maryland & Rutgers, but if the Big Ten were to decide to expand again I sure hope we could bring in some old Big Eight teams. My suggestion would be to start with Oklahoma & Kansas. However considering those two states also have state-schools in Oklahoma State & Kansas State, the Big Ten might be forced to take them also if they want Oklahoma & Kansas. Let Texas join the SEC. Ultimately, someday I really think the Big Ten is going to become a 20 team conference.

Just for fun can you imagine this potential setup for Thanksgiving Rivalry weekend every year...

That would be great, but I think Okie lite is a package deal. Its to bad the Big 10 didn't just jump to 16 in the beginning. Could have tryed to get Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma & Oklahoma St. I think any of those teams brings more to the table then Maryland.

East

Michigan

Michigan St

tOSU

Purdue

Illinios

Indiana

Penn St

Northwestern

West

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Oklahoma St

Kansas

Missouri

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Take 1: Brian Bennett

You can sum up the displeasure of Huskers fans by simply pointing to Big Red's conference home schedule in 2014: Illinois, Rutgers, Purdue and Minnesota. This is not the Big Ten that Nebraska backers thought they were joining back in 2011. They thought that leaving the Big 12 for Jim Delany's league meant plenty of games against Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Instead, they're in a division without any of those teams, and none of those three come to Lincoln before 2017 (when the Buckeyes visit Memorial Stadium). Was it really worth leaving the Big 12 for this?

Of course, as Don Draper might say, "That's what the money is for." Then again, Nebraska doesn't receive a full share of the Big Ten's overflowing coffers until 2017, and the school couldn't have been happy to learn that Maryland would get a front-loaded deal that included much more cash right away for the Terps' strapped athletic department.

The Maryland and Rutgers move was aimed at opening up new territory for the Big Ten, to serve recruiting, future population growth and alumni along the East Coast. But as the westernmost school in the league, Nebraska stands to benefit far less from this expansion than other conference members. The Huskers haven't traditionally recruited a lot of players from the East Coast, and the school's alumni base isn't as large there as it is for other Big Ten teams.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=103182

14 is just too big. At this point, I think maybe a better solution would be to add a couple more and either divide the conference up into four pods, or split into a structure that basically becomes two 8 team conferences with a scheduling alliance. The way we're doing it now is just ridiculous. Because of the "parity" scheduling nonsense, we're probably going to play Indiana once a decade or something.

Nebraska has been royally screwed by the Big Ten. When joining we were in the same conference with MSU and michigan and had a protected crossover rival with Penn State. Now once again Nebraska is in the weaker division with it's toughest opponent in Wisconsin.

It is beyond baffling how the Big Ten messed this up so badly as well as how Nebraska has just laid down and accepted this.

Nebraska has been royally screwed by the Big Ten. When joining we were in the same conference with MSU and michigan and had a protected crossover rival with Penn State. Now once again Nebraska is in the weaker division with it's toughest opponent in Wisconsin.

It is beyond baffling how the Big Ten messed this up so badly as well as how Nebraska has just laid down and accepted this.

we aren't exactly in the drivers seat on these things. the B12 should have taught us that.

• Fire 1

That would be great, but I think Okie lite is a package deal. Its to bad the Big 10 didn't just jump to 16 in the beginning. Could have tryed to get Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma & Oklahoma St. I think any of those teams brings more to the table then Maryland.

East

Michigan

Michigan St

tOSU

Purdue

Illinios

Indiana

Penn St

Northwestern

West

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Oklahoma St

Kansas

Missouri

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

I completely agree with you. From a pure football standpoint this would have made one heck of a conference.

It is going to be interesting over the next few seasons to see how this new College Football Playoff plays into the whole conference realignment & expansion. Honestly, I don't think it's over...it might just be in a temporary holding pattern. The truth of the matter is that this new 14-team Big Ten Conference is not the same conference Cornhusker fans were sold on three years ago. In a lot of ways I now somewhat understand how Colorado fans felt being on the western fringe of the Big 12 conference.

Keep an eye on these four teams for possibly being future Big Ten expansion targets (in no particular order):

1. Kansas
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Texas
  4. Missouri