Althon 2014 Bowl Projections

Go home, Athlon, you're drunk. 9-3 is a perfectly reasonable regular season prediction. Predicting that 9-3 Nebraska will tumble all the way to the friggin Yankee bowl isn't realistic. It's even more hysterical when one notices that 10-2 (lol) Penn State still isn't eligible for bowl games. Where they made their mistake is projecting way more 10-2/9-3 type teams than the Big Ten will realistically have. Some of those teams *cough* Michigan and PSU *cough* seem destined to fall short of their expectations.

Go home, Athlon, you're drunk. 9-3 is a perfectly reasonable regular season prediction. Predicting that 9-3 Nebraska will tumble all the way to the friggin Yankee bowl isn't realistic. It's even more hysterical when one notices that 10-2 (lol) Penn State still isn't eligible for bowl games. Where they made their mistake is projecting way more 10-2/9-3 type teams than the Big Ten will realistically have. Some of those teams *cough* Michigan and PSU *cough* seem destined to fall short of their expectations.

If Penn State has a pulse they'll go 10-2 this year. Their schedule is cake.

I think their prediction isn't too far off, Nebraska will most likely be taken after hotter commodities in Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and given their schedule, probably Iowa. Where I think they mess up is that they don't have any Big Ten teams in the New Year's/contract bowls. They've got Ohio State in the playoff but Wisconsin or Michigan State will almost certainly be an at-large.

If Penn State has a pulse they'll go 10-2 this year. Their schedule is cake.

I think their prediction isn't too far off, Nebraska will most likely be taken after hotter commodities in Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and given their schedule, probably Iowa. Where I think they mess up is that there are no Big Ten teams in the New Year's/contract bowls. They've got Ohio State in the playoff but Wisconsin or Michigan State will almost certainly be an at-large.

Penn State has their 4th Head Coach and third staff in four years. Every once in a while there's an exception, but I think it's nuts to assume they'll just keep building out of the gate under Franklin. Their schedule is easy, but their Michigan State and Ohio State games are basically automatic losses. UCF is potentially troublesome just because of Ireland, NW, Indiana, Michigan are all potentially dicey. The issue isn't that I think they're bad, it's just that 10-2 assumes a sweep of everyone but Sparty and OSU and especially given sanctions, I don't think PSU is anywhere near good enough to overcome the inevitable transition hiccups. Put me down for 8-4, give or take a win depending on how things go.

I don't take issue with them putting Nebraska behind Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin (though the latter two suffered heavy graduation losses), provided they have better records. Where they get dumb is Michigan, who I doubt is going 8-4 with an imaginary offensive line, and Iowa, who they're plainly projecting to lose to Nebraska. If both Nebraska and Iowa are 9-3, Nebraska won head to head, in Iowa City, and Nebraska had the tougher schedule, it's no contest. Bigger name, tougher schedule, head to head win, same record, Nebraska > Iowa in any bowls eyes except maybe the Cap One or Gator.

I just thought of a way we can get there without having a terrible season.

We go 10-2 but miss the conference title game due to who the losses are too. We don't make a BCS game either based on having other higher ranked teams. At that point (as I understand the new bowl rules) the Big Ten assigns the bowls for its teams. They know Husker fans are bored of going to Florida bowls and they are looking to expand the grip on the New York region. In that case why not send one of your blue bloods to the big apple?

It's a stretch. Let's all hope it's a BCS or playoff kind of year.

Well, if it is the pinstripe bowl, at least I'll get to see them at Yankee stadium...

Which is the only upside to this scenario...

I was wondering why they put Nebraska on the east coast and UMd in Dallas. Well I guess filling seats and having the best match ups have never been a priority for the bowl system.

Looks like the B1G has some unfavorable bowl alignments again - lower B1G seeds playing higher seeds from other conferences.

Marshall in the Peach Bowl????

Should we lose a close title game but still maintain an 11-3 or 12-2 record. Thats the corner weve gotta turn.

The corner is a championship. Your scenario should be a minimum

I think a victory in a nationally relevant game. Option 1a: Conference Championship , Option 1b: BCS Bowl Win Over Legitimate SEC/Clemson/Oregon would suffice in my book. Nebraska needs something to get the ball rolling, fans united and looking forward to next year with momentum.

:duel