recruiting views

I have been reading the book "What It Means To Be A Husker" and the desire and heart of these players is just amazing. I was reading the OWH online today and noticed that there a number of Nebraska kids that are good enough to get scholarship offers from other division 1 schools but not Nebraska. Other schools that are taking Nebraska Kids are Iowa, Kansas State, Washington.

The brother of Fluellen, a 5-11 QB that threw 37 touchdowns this year is not getting looked at all??????

I dont like getting hurt by NE players playing for other teams, and I hope this trend does not hurt us in the future.

I know we did take 4 in-staters but are we looking for the others to walk on when they are good enough to get scholarship from other schools??

It's just an example of how times have changed, "back in the day" college (especially state college) wasn't anywhere near as expensive as it is now, so these Nebraska kids could easily walk on and still pay for school. Well, with college prices being what they are a lot of kids have to take the free schooling from where ever they can get it. I think our coaches are well aware of the need to recruit in-state, but they also know they need to get the best athletes and people that are going to fit into the system. With the 85 limit on scholarships, coaches can't really afford to give them to in-state kids just because they are in-state if there are athletes willing to come here that are better athletes. I'm not saying we go simply on talent, but I think there is enough d-1 athletes from Nebraska each year (paired with some walk ons) that we will always have a good crop of "home grown" talent.

I have been reading the book "What It Means To Be A Husker" and the desire and heart of these players is just amazing. I was reading the OWH online today and noticed that there a number of Nebraska kids that are good enough to get scholarship offers from other division 1 schools but not Nebraska. Other schools that are taking Nebraska Kids are Iowa, Kansas State, Washington.

The brother of Fluellen, a 5-11 QB that threw 37 touchdowns this year is not getting looked at all??????

I dont like getting hurt by NE players playing for other teams, and I hope this trend does not hurt us in the future.

I know we did take 4 in-staters but are we looking for the others to walk on when they are good enough to get scholarship from other schools??

I'll tell you why Fluellen isn't getting many looks. First off he is 5-11 and he is not the next Seneca Wallace. I know he threw 37 touchdowns but completed way less than 50% of his throws. Plus I know John Faiman at Bellevue West and all he does is run Counter 6 and Counter 7 passes (roll out passes) and fire the ball downfield. Fluellen had some good athletes for receivers this year, but he really wasn't too special. Numbers are great but can you take that to the next level is the question.

I have been reading the book "What It Means To Be A Husker" and the desire and heart of these players is just amazing.  I was reading the OWH online today and noticed that there a number of Nebraska kids that are good enough to get scholarship offers from other division 1 schools but not Nebraska.  Other schools that are taking Nebraska Kids are Iowa, Kansas State, Washington.

I'll tell you why Fluellen isn't getting many looks. First off he is 5-11 and he is not the next Seneca Wallace. I know he threw 37 touchdowns but completed way less than 50% of his throws. Plus I know John Faiman at Bellevue West and all he does is run Counter 6 and Counter 7 passes (roll out passes) and fire the ball downfield. Fluellen had some good athletes for receivers this year, but he really wasn't too special. Numbers are great but can you take that to the next level is the question.

But wait! He is a in-state kid. That means we MUST let him walk on and later give him a schollie! :wacko:

I think BC & Co. has recognized their need to do better in-state recruiting, as evidenced in the plan they have set which assigns a coach to different schools/regions.

I don't know about you guys but, it seems that BC has finally grasped the Husker concept. I have a feeling he has a much better idea of what it means to be a Husker now, and that will carry forth into the future of our program. I mean, he finally talked to TO, had big wins over two (whether you want to admit it or not) rival schools in KSU and CU. And then a big win against a highly-vaunted Michigan team. And then decides to impliment a new in-state recruting program.

IMHO, the Husker ideals have finally been engrained in him. At least, let's hope.

*sings 'always look on the bright side of life' from Life of Brian*

when i started this thread i didnt mean for it to become an argument over how many walk ons we need or the walk on program getting slashed, cut , reduced, blah blah blah.

what i wanted to know was everyones views on why nebraska players that are good enough for Div 1 Scholarships to schools like KSU, Iowa, and UW are being asked to walk on at NU.

when i started this thread i didnt mean for it to become an argument over how many walk ons we need or the walk on program getting slashed, cut , reduced, blah blah blah.

what i wanted to know was everyones views on why nebraska players that are good enough for Div 1 Scholarships to schools like KSU, Iowa, and UW are being asked to walk on at NU.

because we want the elite talent from across the country and we also dont want those elite players to be on the other team. we took most of the elite players from nebraska in this class and we are already working on next year's elite. yeah a lot of kids go to other schools because they want a free ride and not walk-on and pay for school. let iowa and ksu etc etc take our table scraps.

This thread was about whether we should offer more scholarships to instate kids so they would come here instead of them taking scholarships elsewhere, not the walk on program. We dont know if they are offered spots on the walk on program, but we do know that at least some of them are offered walk on spots, and choose to go elsewhere for free.

I think this staff is doing an incredible job of locking down the top in-state talent. Just because other kids go to other schools on full-ride scholarships doesn't mean the have top-tier D1 talent that these NU coaches are looking to bring in. 2 straight years BC and staff have had no trouble getting the best players in this state to come here. If they're good enough and the need is there for the position they play, you can guarantee they will have an offer from the coaches. These coaches have an eagle eye for talent.

Isn't Homer the only kid that was being asked to walk-on? If I'm not mistaken that is it. Also Fluellon is going to end up at either UNO or Nortwest Missouri State.

Kid from an 8 man football team was asked too.......Howell that's it. LB. Scott Bayer. I hope he does

IMO, I think BC should go after whomever will work out best for the team. The best players he can find. If they happen to be from Nebraska, its a bonus. I think BC and other NU coaches honor the Husker tradition by building a great team and winning ballgames. I don't believe that in-state recruits should be put ahead of others simply because they are in-state. Recruit the best talent from wherever they may be from. It is HUSKER NATION isn't it?