McKewon: Preview of Opposing QBs

What world do some of you live in where you just discard every other teams accomplishments because they are not our own achievements. You'd be blaring the horn so loudly if anyone tried to deny Nebraska claim to that Conference title in 2010. MSU went 7-1 in conference that year. They lost only 2 games all season, yes one ugly loss to lowly old Alabama. I know, shameful losing to Bama right? So that one bad loss really erases their Conference Championship....so no, you just stop right now. That's ridiculous.

As far as the Big being awful from 2007 to 2012 I think you can keep on going. Most people still consider the Big Ten a pretty weak conference, with only two teams really representing any strength. Ohio St. And Michigan St. But guess what? If Nebraska won the Conference Championship game, you're gonna just toss it aside like its meaningless, much like you're doing to MSU, because the Big is kinda weak? Ha, doubtful.

i can only imagine what some haters would be saying if we had beat wiscy in the ccg. plenty of people would have wanted to put an asterisk next to that win given it was against a 7-5 wiscy, third in their division.

Would I have taken it? Hell yeah. But don't tell me certain people wouldn't have chirped after the fact that we skipped out on a 12-0 OSU.

While it's true MSU had a better season last year than Nebraska has managed since probably 2001, they are also the same program that since 2006 has gone 4-8, 7-6, 9-4, 6-7, 11-2, 11-3, 7-6 and 12-1.

Certainly several impressive seasons, but they haven't been the model of consistency since Dantonio took over. And, since he did (Nov. of 2006) they've had two 7 win seasons and a 6 win season.

This is always an interesting topic for debate, though - if you look at that record for MSU since 2006, would you take that? Would you take a Rose Bowl win and conference title in exchange for three very poor seasons in the same time frame? Or, would you prefer consistency in the form of #9wins and a few conference title trips, but, no trophies?

They're better than us.

Correction. Some years they are better than us, some years not.

The article was illustrating how benign the QB's our opponents appear to be, which is an odd argument considering many here were trying to frame this schedule as some kind of gauntlet earlier.

but, but, but....we added Rutgers and that other team

#18thtoughestscheduleinJune

This thread:

3239508_o.gif

change the subject, then. which opposing qb would you like to talk about?

Wes Lunt, the former starting qb at Okie State, now the Illinois starter.

All Games 61.8% 1108yd 6td 7int 137.30qb

Those were his true freshman stats in 7 games before getting injured, now he's a rs sophomore at Illinois. I think he'll probably be pretty good.

This thread:

3239508_o.gif

change the subject, then. which opposing qb would you like to talk about?

You mean return to the subject. ;)

I agree with Sam. I think this is the weakest crop of QB's we've faced in a long time. Some of these guys could take jumps (ala Connor Cook last year) but even then, there's no "A" List guys on it. Rudock is probably the closest to that, but you know, Greg Davis. With the lack of elite QB's and receiving threats on the schedule, we should see NU focus on the defending the run game.

Now, we're adding some new guys in the secondary as full time starters, so we can't leave them on an island all game long. But, Cooper and Alexander should provide the best safety combo we've had since Asante/O'Hanlon. None of these QB's are going to torch us for 300+ yards, so I think we force them to throw it. The last team to torch us through the air after we shut down their ground game was Oklahoma in 2010. I don't see anyone on this schedule with close to that talent at QB and WR.

Back to the old "stop the run, win the game" mantra. If we can keep our DE's healthy, I think we can do it.

he will be interesting to watch. that offense should be decent. i am not sure they will get enough help from their defense to matter, though. i think we will be able to handle him pretty well, as we do well against traditional qb's. but he might give the team a spark to make an exciting season for them.

I agree with Sam. I think this is the weakest crop of QB's we've faced in a long time. Some of these guys could take jumps (ala Connor Cook) but even then, there's no "A" List guys on it. With the lack of elite QB's and receiving threats on the schedule, we should see NU focus on the defending the run game.

Now, we're adding some new guys in the secondary as full time starters, so we can't leave them on an island all game long. But, Cooper and Alexander should provide the best safety combo we've had since Asante/O'Hanlon. None of these QB's are going to torch us for 300+ yards, so I think we force them to throw it. The last team to torch us through the air after we shut down their ground game was Oklahoma in 2010. I don't see anyone on this schedule with close to that talent at QB and WR.

Back to the old "stop the run, win the game" mantra. If we can keep our DE's healthy, I think we can do it.

yeah, back on topic.

seems like we will be facing a lot of traditional qb's and i think we should handle them pretty well. our defense should shine pretty bright against this bunch.

• Fire 1

he will be interesting to watch. that offense should be decent. i am not sure they will get enough help from their defense to matter, though. i think we will be able to handle him pretty well, as we do well against traditional qb's. but he might give the team a spark to make an exciting season for them.

True, if he gets the job. I would imagine he will, but he struggled during the spring. Cubitt is a good playcaller, so he can scheme to take advantage of Lunt's strengths. But, Illinois still has a weak OL.

I agree with Sam. I think this is the weakest crop of QB's we've faced in a long time. Some of these guys could take jumps (ala Connor Cook) but even then, there's no "A" List guys on it. With the lack of elite QB's and receiving threats on the schedule, we should see NU focus on the defending the run game.

yeah, back on topic.

seems like we will be facing a lot of traditional qb's and i think we should handle them pretty well. our defense should shine pretty bright against this bunch.

True. The real dual threat QB's are the non-con guys, so if we can take care of them, we will see the return of the QB graveyard.