McKewon: Preview of Opposing QBs

yeah, back on topic.

seems like we will be facing a lot of traditional qb's and i think we should handle them pretty well. our defense should shine pretty bright against this bunch.

I'd say my biggest worry, opposing QB-wise at this point, would be going down to Fresno and having their guy run wild.

Cook is good but he's certainly not a player that worries me. He completed less than 50 percent of his passes and had a 45.6 QB rating against us last year. He's a player that makes you feel comfortable but isn't going to make a lot of great throws against you.

Except, that is exactly what he did against Nebraska last year. We dug our own grave last year with five TO (many unforced) but looked like we could pull ourselves out of it multiple times in that game. However, Cook was able to make critical throws during the second half to sustain drives and put us away.

Admittingly, I did not watch the rest of his season, but he was able to put it together for one game when he needed to.

Truth be told, I didn't get to watch much of the MSU game this last year because of work. I did catch them in the Rose Bowl and sparingly throughout the season, though. He was the type of player that would make critical throws but also miss on others, while also missing a lot of manageable throws that he should've completed. He completed only 58% of his passes this last year, too.

The NFL isn't the end-all-be-all, but I'd be surprised if he's ever playing on Sundays. He'll get better but I still say he's not somebody that worries me on Saturdays.

I missed the B1G title game last year due to a wedding. I got scoring updates and saw MSU laying the wood early. Come to find out Connor Cook was the MVP. I thought, wow, he must have put it together to finish the season after the Nebraska game. I saw a replay of the game later and I was quite taken aback. He threw the ball a couple times right at the defender only to see them drop the interception. I laughed knowing the outcome because he didn't look like an mvp to me. He made some good throws when needed, but tOSU is to blame for a lack of execution. Saw the Rose Bowl and the same bad throws showed up. He is young and could be a lot better this year, but last years stats don't seem to correlate with the eye test/performance.

While it's true MSU had a better season last year than Nebraska has managed since probably 2001, they are also the same program that since 2006 has gone 4-8, 7-6, 9-4, 6-7, 11-2, 11-3, 7-6 and 12-1.

Certainly several impressive seasons, but they haven't been the model of consistency since Dantonio took over. And, since he did (Nov. of 2006) they've had two 7 win seasons and a 6 win season.

This is always an interesting topic for debate, though - if you look at that record for MSU since 2006, would you take that? Would you take a Rose Bowl win and conference title in exchange for three very poor seasons in the same time frame? Or, would you prefer consistency in the form of #9wins and a few conference title trips, but, no trophies?

They're better than us.

Didn't say they weren't. Merely brought up the comparisons as a point of discussion. There are a lot of people in Nebraska that I've heard on radio, message boards, etc., that would take the consistency and lack of titles without the six or seven win losses. It's fine to disagree with them, just pointing it out.

I'd rather have the conference titles myself.

As much as I think the fan base has unrealistic expectations this isn't the choice we have to make. We are Nebraska. We should expect at a minimum consistency. From there we expect to compete for (and win some) conference titles. One thing I would point out is MSU showed a steady climb upward with the exception of 2012.

That being said I don't feel they are a great team. They have a great game plan, great D, potentially good O. That is a recipe to contend in most games. Last year they converted on most of their chances. I look for them to lose 2-3 this year which may not include Oregon.

The article was illustrating how benign the QB's our opponents appear to be, which is an odd argument considering many here were trying to frame this schedule as some kind of gauntlet earlier.

I wouldn't call it a gaunlet, but Wisconsin & Michigan St will be solid. Northwestern, Iowa & Miami should be easier & the rest should be wins as long as we don't continuously try to hand them the game and take ourselves out.

I really think the schedule sets up nicely for NU to go 12-0 and meet up with a 12-0 Ohio St team in the Big Ten Championship Game. Neither team has a very difficult road to the Championship Game.

Cook is good but he's certainly not a player that worries me. He completed less than 50 percent of his passes and had a 45.6 QB rating against us last year. He's a player that makes you feel comfortable but isn't going to make a lot of great throws against you.

HE didn't have great stats, but every time he needed to make a play against us he came through. He wasn't great, but he was really, really clutch. Frustrating, really.

HE didn't have great stats, but every time he needed to make a play against us he came through. He wasn't great, but he was really, really clutch. Frustrating, really.

Now with more defensive experience, I would love to see Bo dial up A LOT more blitzes and get after the QB. Gregory should be a huge factor as well. Double team him at your own peril.