Ranking teams: schedule vs quality of team

As far as talent goes, I think Nebraska is easily right there with Ohio St.

Do you really think so? Ohio State went 24-0 in the last two regular seasons and only lost to eventual Rose Bowl champion Michigan State and a talented Clemson team. Nebraska, meanwhile, was one hail mary from finishing the season 7-5 and we've fielded a wildly inconsistent team for the last several seasons.

You really like bringing up the hail mary argument. Regardless, we won that game and didnt have 5 losses.

Now, if you compare our talent with our schedule to Iowa and Wisconsin I think we win on both team talent and strength of schedule. If all three teams take care of business we will all come out looking good. Nebraska has a chance to do something special this year. Talents in place to do it and the schedule isnt overly brutal as long as we handle the road schedule with a purpose.

I bring up the hail mary argument because without it we would probably have a new coach and something that shouldn't be overlooked.

We're simply not at the level of Ohio State from a talent perspective. I like what we're doing on the recruiting trail this season and the chances we have on guys in 2016. Last season? Not so much.

Wait? Are we ranking the teams results, the teams schedules, the teams coaches or are we just comparing the level of talent on the two teams?

Braxton Miller is obviously the better QB. Our Running Backs are better than theirs IMO. WR's I could say "push", with Kenny Bell, JT, and a rising star in Burtch I may even give the nod to us. Offensive Line it's tough to say because I don't know enough about theirs, nor do I know enough about ours. Defensive line, I take ours all day. Gregory, Collins, Vincent Valentine, Curry, and McMullen, tough to beat that plus we have some other guys who I think will impress. Linebackers I take ours. Zaire Anderson and Micheal Rose are both ass kickers. Santos is a tough kid. Really physical dudes there, then you add the athleticism of Banderas. CB's I may give the nod to Ohio St., but I think they lost a good one or two. One for sure, because Denver drafted him in the first round. Safety? I may need help here....are their safeties better than Cooper and Leroy Alexander? Cooper might be one of the best in the Conference by seasons end.

If you go by recruiting classes, we are not even close. Certain positions possibly, depth not even close. In a conference that is so physical, as most have stated, depth is a key issue. You are comparing a MNC winner to Bo. That tells you who has done the better job and has more credibility to produce. We are not close to Ohio State in overall talent I am afraid.

I would certainly agree with the comment about the credibility of Urban Meyer.....and I'm far from his biggest fan. But he knows what kind of talent it takes to win the MNC. And there is a reason Ohio State is one of the very few jobs he had interest in.

Nebraska could become a more physical team if it tweaked its attitude on offense. The Huskers have a multiple system, which in the past has featured a long (too long?) list of plays. You wonder sometimes if NU's offense is expending so much energy trying to out-think the defense that it neglects the part about out-slugging it.

What's more, Nebraska's offense seems to lack a clear identity. I know, broken record. But I would feel more comfortable picking NU to win the West if I had a better grasp of what the offense was going to look like, which, in turn, would give me a better idea of what kind of season to expect from sophomore quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr.

Bottom line, Iowa knows what it wants to be on offense.

Know thyself. Know your strengths. That helps the Hawkeyes. But trust DiNardo when he says Nebraska's overall athleticism is best in the West.

As far as talent goes, I think Nebraska is easily right there with Ohio St.

Do you really think so? Ohio State went 24-0 in the last two regular seasons and only lost to eventual Rose Bowl champion Michigan State and a talented Clemson team. Nebraska, meanwhile, was one hail mary from finishing the season 7-5 and we've fielded a wildly inconsistent team for the last several seasons.

You really like bringing up the hail mary argument. Regardless, we won that game and didnt have 5 losses.

Now, if you compare our talent with our schedule to Iowa and Wisconsin I think we win on both team talent and strength of schedule. If all three teams take care of business we will all come out looking good. Nebraska has a chance to do something special this year. Talents in place to do it and the schedule isnt overly brutal as long as we handle the road schedule with a purpose.

This. And we were also a healthy line or even semi-healthy to a 10-2 season. hell I will go as far as if they wouldn't have played T-Mart in the Minie game we would have won that one as well. What ifs are events that didn't happen.

• Fire 1