Game 1 “Expert” Picks: FAU @ Nebraska

CollegeFootballNews.com

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1438142.html

Florida Atlantic (0-0) at Nebraska (0-0) Aug. 30, 3:30

Here's The Deal: This was supposed to be a battle of the Pelinis with Carl taking his Florida Atlantic team to Lincoln to face his younger bro, Bo. A funny thing happened on the way to the reunion – Carl got canned last year and the team got better. The Owls came up with a stunning 6-6 record despite all the turmoil – helped by playing Southern Miss, New Mexico State and FIU down the stretch – while Bo close out yet another unappreciated season with at least nine wins. With McNeese State up next, the Huskers have two nice warm-ups before going to Fresno State, while FAU head man Charlie Partridge gets to take it easy next week with a trip to Alabama.

Why Florida Atlantic Might Win: Can the secondary continue to be as amazing as it was throughout last year? The Owl defense finished 11th in the nation in total defense – partly due to what Carl Pelini helped do over the first eight games – and it could be amazing again in the secondary with D’Joun Smith back leading a veteran group. The Owls finished second in the nation in pass defense and third in passing efficiency, and while part of that came from playing teams that couldn’t throw a forward pass, FAU really was that good.

Why Nebraska Might Win: The Owls are breaking in two new offensive tackles against Randy Gregory and a Nebraska defensive front that will camp out in the backfield. Consistency wasn’t the norm for the FAU offense, and even with some good weapons returning and an excellent quarterback in Jaquez Johnson, it’s going to be a fight just to get anything going. The Huskers should come up with at least four sacks and enough pressures to keep the Owls to around 100 yards rushing.

Who To Watch Out For: Anything less than 250 yards out of the Nebraska running game will be cause for concern. Again, this was a good FAU defense last season, and it should be solid again with experience up the middle, but it’s young and a bit inexperienced on the outside. The Huskers will try to establish its running back rotation right away, and QB Tommy Armstrong will add his share of yards, but the big plays have to come. The Big Red fans are looking for dominance, and being nasty and explosive on the offensive front will get things off to a good start.

What’s Going To Happen: It’ll take a little bit to get the machine rolling against the Owl D, but it’ll happen. The Nebraska defense will be stifling, creating several easy chances for the offense to put the game away in the first half. It won’t be a perfect game for the Huskers, but it’ll be close.

Prediction: Nebraska 34 - Florida Atlantic 6

—————

CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks

Dennis Dodd - N

Jeremy Fowler - N

Jon Solomon - N

Jerry Palm - N

Tom Fornelli - N

Jerry Jinnen - N

Chip Patterson - N

—————

Yahoo! Sports

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/picks

Pat Forde - N

Graham Watson - N

Yahoo Users - N

—————

BTN.com

http://btn.com/2014/08/25/week-1-we-predict-all-14-big-ten-games/

Tom Dienhart: NU 41 - FAU - 14

Sean Merriman: NU 34 - FAU 17

Brent Yarina: NU 41 - FAU 23

Bob Asmussen: NU 48 - FAU 6

—————

AP - Ralph D Russo

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/big-neutral-site-games-highlight-opening-weekend

Will Husker coach Bo Pelini's spring game cat make a regular-season appearance?

NEBRASKA 41- FAU 14

—————

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Kind of disappointed Carl boy isn't still at FAU, but I'm obviously still excited since it's the first game of the season.

From the offensive side, I hope that they can dominate in the run game and come up with some explosive plays - both running and passing - which seemed to disappear once everyone's favorite, lovable QB, Martinez went down (although that 99.9999999999999 yard bomb was pretty amazing).

From the defensive side, I want the d-line to absolutely dominate. I think if they have a good start to the year, this confidence will build with each game. I really think the starting four can be something special.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Kind of disappointed Carl boy isn't still at FAU, but I'm obviously still excited since it's the first game of the season.

From the offensive side, I hope that they can dominate in the run game and come up with some explosive plays - both running and passing - which seemed to disappear once everyone's favorite, lovable QB, Martinez went down (although that 99.9999999999999 yard bomb was pretty amazing).

From the defensive side, I want the d-line to absolutely dominate. I think if they have a good start to the year, this confidence will build with each game. I really think the starting four can be something special.

I am happy Carl isnt there to expose our gameplans with internal knowledge of our system. He could have put up another blueprint to beat Nebraska.

I want Carl back at D cord

I would love that.

Are you friggin' nuts. He's a basket case from a personal standpoint - the program doesn't need to be represented by another Pelini out of control - specifically one with off the field antics.....I want a change at D-coordinator as well, but Carl ain't the way to go. He's burned his bridges......Man, Woman and Child........

I would love that.

Are you friggin' nuts. He's a basket case from a personal standpoint - the program doesn't need to be represented by another Pelini out of control - specifically one with off the field antics.....I want a change at D-coordinator as well, but Carl ain't the way to go. He's burned his bridges......Man, Woman and Child........

I don't know if you've noticed but our D hasn't been the same since he's been gone. I'd be ok with the return of Carl

• Fire 2

I would love that.

I don't know if you've noticed but our D hasn't been the same since he's been gone. I'd be ok with the return of Carl

Not the victory but the action; not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

• Fire 1

I would love that.

He was probably one of the reasons why our D hasn't been the same.
  • Fire 1

I would love that.

He was probably one of the reasons why our D hasn't been the same.

I think it was more to do with the lack of athleticism and key players, than a coach. I mean, poor John boy didn't have a lot to work with when he took over in 2012 after some recruiting misses. Luckily, that has been fixed and this year's defense looks to be very promising. Especially the starting front four.

I would love that.

Not the victory but the action; not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

Enough said

I think it was more to do with the lack of athleticism and key players, than a coach. I mean, poor John boy didn't have a lot to work with when he took over in 2012 after some recruiting misses. Luckily, that has been fixed and this year's defense looks to be very promising. Especially the starting front four.

That was kinda what I was getting. It's been said that Carl recruited a bunch of players that weren't that highly recruited, thinking, I could make any of these guys the next Suh. There was a reason we weren't able to capitalize on the Suh factor for the bigger recruits.

That was kinda what I was getting. It's been said that Carl recruited a bunch of players that weren't that highly recruited, thinking, I could make any of these guys the next Suh. There was a reason we weren't able to capitalize on the Suh factor for the bigger recruits.

It's a shame too, because 2009 might as well be 100 years ago now; well, at least to high school kids. Luckily, Suh is still playing in the NFL, but you have to capitalize on talent like that during the year. I think Gregory can help in that respect this year, and I have a really good feeling about Collins.

The last season Carl was DC here, our defense wasnt any better than the past two years. Carl was DC for 4 years. 1 rebuilding and not so good but improved. 1 lights out and one of greatest ever. 1 that was pretty damn good. and 1 that was average at best with 1 tremendous performance and centered around a generational linebacker. Maybe it wasnt Carl, but whether or not necessary talent was available.