Armstrong at QB

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Neb-s-Armstrong-will-measure-himself-against-Miami-5756891.php

http://btn.com/2014/09/14/toms-take-week-3-big-ten-honors-grades-numbers-much-more/

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/colleges/article/head-tag-with-48-pt-5757428.php?cmpid=enpromo

Tommy Armstrong is the first Nebraska QB to go over 300 yards total offense in the first three games of the year since Joe Ganz. The kid is only going to get better from here. He's only a sophomore. We finally have a true dual threat at Nebraska!

If he could hit the broad side of a barn on short passes and learned how to check down. Until then, he's a guy that can run the option and throws a pretty ball.

Let me know when he can throw an effective ball.

Tommy Armstrong is averaging 9.0 yards per passing attempt. That is, by definition, effective.

Don't know what games you watch, but passes like that quick slant to Hovey are both short and difficult, and Armstrong executes them well. Or go back and see how many short yardage downs we've converted on quick curls.

It's pretty weird how Nebraska can have a quarterback throwing beautiful long touchdowns passes to exciting receivers, and fans complain he's not dumping it off to his third option enough.

Or that he throws a "pretty" ball.

Jesus, people.

All we heard about here in the off season was how TA looked so much better as a passer and that he threw a pretty long ball. But I've stated over and over how I have serious reservations about the fact that he consistently misses wide open receivers in the short game and tries to force passes into coverage when the smarter decision would be to hit the check down.

You know what might open these exciting receivers on long passes? A more effective short passing game, which would almost immediately happen if TA were to use AA more in the passing game as a check down.

Is it really crazy to want a QB to be more effective in the passing game? To have a completion % closer to 60 than 50?

There is a reason teams are stacking the box against us and killing the running game. And it sure isn't because they are scared of our passing game

Completely agree.

There's smart football criticism and there's criticizing just to criticize. Pretty clear what we're seeing here.

Are you saying that leaving easy yards and points on the field, as well as being helped by a handful of dropped INTs isn't smart football criticism?

Every single quarterback in America, from Pop Warner to last year's Super Bowl Champions, does this. If anything you're criticizing so heavily was unique to Armstrong you'd have a point.

It isn't. You don't.

Yes, he does.

Well this little Sdsker rant seems too logical to be realistic. :lame :backtotopic Everyone commence the rational tearing down of our still green QB while hes winning. Cause when he loses you people can all say I told ya so and I don't have to read paragraph after paragraph of what coulda shoulda woulda but didn't happen. Shouldve been intercepted is as asinine an argument as dropped balls. THEY WERENT CAUGHT! I don't see our wrs taking the heat for Tommie not being 60% or higher if these guys catch everything. So Tommies protection automatically is gonna be worse against tougher protection? Well I guess our Oline wont be doing any improving so I can stop worrying about them the rest of the year. Tommies runs will return to 3 yards a carry against better competition. Phew, I was worried why we have looked pretty vanilla in our run game play calling the first few games. Thankfully I now know weve maxed out on creativity in that play calling area. Now that 74hunter has laid it all out for me for the rest of the year, I may as well go on vacation. Nothing left to see here.

i am nothing if not logical. but i am concerned about if/when ta has a bad game. because most players/qbs do. i will not pay much attention to the "told ya so's" because i do not expect him to be perfect.

and i agree with you when you mention how our offense has been vanilla. maybe tommy has just been using these early games to work on his long ball and work on some kinks. he does make some nice mid range throws.

honestly, as long as he keeps the turnovers extremely low, we should be alright and he should put up some pretty stout stats.

right now my biggest concerns for this team are: 1. turnovers (hopefully the team is over that hump), 2. o-line, 3. linebackers.

• Fire 2

I'm just getting back to this conversation. I haven't had a chance to read through it but I just want to point out an observation I've had from some of MO Huskers comments and a few others on this board.

Nobody, not one person has said Tommy Armstrong is the second coming of Jesus or the next Joe Montana or whatever extreme some of you want to take this conversation to. The people in real support of Armstrong have simply said he's doing some damn good things in the running and passing game. He's set some pretty high numbers already. He is one a sophomore, he needs to improve and we expect him to do so. MO Husker literally quoted two comments, one from me and one from sd'sker, in the woodshed and both those comments said Tommy's done a nice job, but both comments also discussed improvement to be made. Yet the response to those comments completely ignored that aspect.

It seems to me the people taking this discussion to the extreme are the people refusing to give Tommy any credit whatsoever. And that's just ridiculous.

• Fire 2

Well this little Sdsker rant seems too logical to be realistic. :lame :backtotopic Everyone commence the rational tearing down of our still green QB while hes winning. Cause when he loses you people can all say I told ya so and I don't have to read paragraph after paragraph of what coulda shoulda woulda but didn't happen. Shouldve been intercepted is as asinine an argument as dropped balls. THEY WERENT CAUGHT! I don't see our wrs taking the heat for Tommie not being 60% or higher if these guys catch everything. So Tommies protection automatically is gonna be worse against tougher protection? Well I guess our Oline wont be doing any improving so I can stop worrying about them the rest of the year. Tommies runs will return to 3 yards a carry against better competition. Phew, I was worried why we have looked pretty vanilla in our run game play calling the first few games. Thankfully I now know weve maxed out on creativity in that play calling area. Now that 74hunter has laid it all out for me for the rest of the year, I may as well go on vacation. Nothing left to see here.

i am nothing if not logical. but i am concerned about if/when ta has a bad game. because most players/qbs do. i will not pay much attention to the "told ya so's" because i do not expect him to be perfect.

and i agree with you when you mention how our offense has been vanilla. maybe tommy has just been using these early games to work on his long ball and work on some kinks. he does make some nice mid range throws.

honestly, as long as he keeps the turnovers extremely low, we should be alright and he should put up some pretty stout stats.

right now my biggest concerns for this team is: 1. turnovers (hopefully the team is over that hump), 2. o-line, 3. linebackers.

Nobody has any gamble in em anymore Sd. Everyone wants to hedge. Me, ill wait and see with TA. I think he has the makeup of a good one. Its also important for Beck to put him in plus plus situations. Im hoping to see more bootleg and roll out type stuff. Everyone wants consistency. I think it starts with calling games with Tommies weaknesses in mind. His midrange accuracy needs work. Fine. What a good time to use your tight ends or running backs on drag routes while rolling out giving Tommie a run option if it isn't there. God knows how we struggle with drag routes with Rbs. So he isn't great yet at hitting his checkdown. Sometimes protection breakdown doesn't allow for him to survey the field long enough to look at his 3rd or 4th option. When in the pocket sometimes the best throw the ball away option is to just chuck it. I have noticed when he does just chuck it down the sideline, most of those balls are uncatchable. Its reasonable to assume hes just throwing it away. I see improvement in most aspects of this team, even despite the struggles with Mcknees St. Im actually thankful we haven't hit ours stride yet and we do have room for improvement.

I'm just getting back to this conversation. I haven't had a chance to read through it but I just want to point out an observation I've had from some of MO Huskers comments and a few others on this board.

Nobody, not one person has said Tommy Armstrong is the second coming of Jesus or the next Joe Montana or whatever extreme some of you want to take this conversation to. The people in real support of Armstrong have simply said he's doing some damn good things in the running and passing game. He's set some pretty high numbers already. He is one a sophomore, he needs to improve and we expect him to do so. MO Husker literally quoted two comments, one from me and one from sd'sker, in the woodshed and both those comments said Tommy's done a nice job, but both comments also discussed improvement to be made. Yet the response to those comments completely ignored that aspect.

It seems to me the people taking this discussion to the extreme are the people refusing to give Tommy any credit whatsoever. And that's just ridiculous.

i am rewatching the fresno game and i already see improvement from tommy this year. i think a lot of criticisms are carry overs from last year and people maybe trying to shoe horn them into this season. obviously he has made mistakes and could be better, but he looks pretty good and i do not see a lot of the criticisms people are concerned about. for instance, people say he locks into his receiver, that was a problem with the mcneese interception, but i think that is designed. i think he usually knows who he is going to throw it to when the play is called. he needs to get better at adjusting if it is not there, but i think it is designed to get the ball out of his hands quickly. and if the wr and qb are on the same page, it is pretty successful and often a td.

i am rewatching the fresno game and i already see improvement from tommy this year.

Good coaching, ay?

Nobody has any gamble in em anymore Sd. Everyone wants to hedge. Me, ill wait and see with TA. I think he has the makeup of a good one. Its also important for Beck to put him in plus plus situations. Im hoping to see more bootleg and roll out type stuff. Everyone wants consistency. I think it starts with calling games with Tommies weaknesses in mind. His midrange accuracy needs work. Fine. What a good time to use your tight ends or running backs on drag routes while rolling out giving Tommie a run option if it isn't there. God knows how we struggle with drag routes with Rbs. So he isn't great yet at hitting his checkdown. Sometimes protection breakdown doesn't allow for him to survey the field long enough to look at his 3rd or 4th option. When in the pocket sometimes the best throw the ball away option is to just chuck it. I have noticed when he does just chuck it down the sideline, most of those balls are uncatchable. Its reasonable to assume hes just throwing it away. I see improvement in most aspects of this team, even despite the struggles with Mcknees St. Im actually thankful we haven't hit ours stride yet and we do have room for improvement.

i like what you have to say. i have concerns about ta having a letdown because of his inexperience. i am also concerned about ta having a letdown because of our o-line or another game where the team is just flat.

i hope we do see a little different playcalling against better defenses. like you said, roll him out. have designed dump offs. do not be afraid to utilize the te's. all those things makes tommy's job easier and ameer's.

i am rewatching the fresno game and i already see improvement from tommy this year. i think a lot of criticisms are carry overs from last year and people maybe trying to shoe horn them into this season. obviously he has made mistakes and could be better, but he looks pretty good and i do not see a lot of the criticisms people are concerned about. for instance, people say he locks into his receiver, that was a problem with the mcneese interception, but i think that is designed. i think he usually knows who he is going to throw it to when the play is called. he needs to get better at adjusting if it is not there, but i think it is designed to get the ball out of his hands quickly. and if the wr and qb are on the same page, it is pretty successful and often a td.

I'm really excited about the future when Tommy improves his reads and gets a little more experience with communication and timing with his WR's. That McNeese interception was ugly. Westerkamp signaled aomething and Tommy saw something else ismwhat it looked like. I'm glad we still won the game and Tommy learned from it. Now is the time to work these kinks out. Tommy should never have let that ball go without even looking at the defender.

Three games in I'm really happy with where we are.

i am rewatching the fresno game and i already see improvement from tommy this year.

Good coaching, ay?

i have never been extremely critical of beck. but i still have concerns with the o-line and the ever-present possibility of a meltdown.

i will withhold judgment on the coaches until we play mich. st. frankly, i will be critical of coaching until we get a championship. especially given our conference. but if we can play competent football all year i will be satisfied(and anymore than 2 losses in the regular season would be pretty disappointing).

but, hopefully the coaches are figuring it out and putting it together.

but i do think we are seeing tommy continue to mature.

I'm really excited about the future when Tommy improves his reads and gets a little more experience with communication and timing with his WR's. That McNeese interception was ugly. Westerkamp signaled aomething and Tommy saw something else ismwhat it looked like. I'm glad we still won the game and Tommy learned from it. Now is the time to work these kinks out. Tommy should never have let that ball go without even looking at the defender.

i agree with that very much. bad pick. he needs to be quicker to adjust when the receiver is not where it needs to be. but it was not just a terrible throw, it was his inexperience showing.

i like what you have to say. i have concerns about ta having a letdown because of his inexperience. i am also concerned about ta having a letdown because of our o-line or another game where the team is just flat.

i hope we do see a little different playcalling against better defenses. like you said, roll him out. have designed dump offs. do not be afraid to utilize the te's. all those things makes tommy's job easier and ameer's.

If we take pages from that offensive play book in the Fresno game and apply those plays and formations against Michigan State, I think we have a hell of a formula there for victory. Especially that jet sweep and the play action off of it. (I really need to rematch that game if anyone has found a link?).

i agree with that very much. bad pick. he needs to be quicker to adjust when the receiver is not where it needs to be. but it was not just a terrible throw, it was his inexperience showing.

He's sure made some damn nice throws too though. Damn nice. I haven't been this excited to watch a Nebraska offense since the option days.

Let's clear up one thing.

Tommy checks down on receivers.

Unless he sees his primary receiver getting separation, which often happens. It's a good thing. It's why he's the primary receiver. Also a sign the pass protection is working.

Sometimes Tommy even looks off a receiver as strategy. He completes those second look passes least as often as he misses a wide-open receiver.

Honestly don't know what games you guys are watching.

The comparison to Frazier, Frost and Crouch's completion percentage is perfectly relevant. We all want that percentage to go up, but to declare it a failure in this particular "system" is ludicrous.

1) I honestly don't know how from tv shots you can see his head or eyes move through his progressions. Unless you've got a different view than I do, or maybe your tv has better definition than mine, I'm not sure you can make that distinction.

2) Oh,and if you don't know the differences from the Osbone and Solich offenses and Becks offense in regards to passing, then I highly over estimated your knowledge of football.

1) Tommy drops back to pass. You see him looking downfield. Then he turns his head and body and throws the ball to his secondary receiver. Sometimes his third. It's actually hard NOT to notice. The announcers notice, too, and sometimes mention it. If you, on the other hand, CAN'T make that distinction, how can you assert that Tommy doesn't move through his progressions?

2) Osborne and Solich passed less than Beck. Which was good, because Frazier, Frost, Crouch weren't very good passers. But those teams were always measured by their passing efficiency as it served a run-first offense. In which case 50% could be considered acceptable, but only because we were winning a lot of games for a lot of other reasons. And so Frazier, Frost and Crouch didn't take as much shite as you're inclined to give Armstrong here. In Beck's offense, which passes more than Osborne's, but still runs more than it passes, it's still a matter of efficiency, and 55% with 9.0 yards per attempt makes Nebraska a legitimate dual threat offense. It's cause for optimism, not hand-wringing. If you don't think Tom Osborne and Frank Solich would have started Tommy Armstrong over 75% of their quarterbacks, you may want to revisit your Husker history.

• Fire 1