Dirk on Hype vs. Reality

carlfense

This article would have been better written a year ago, maybe even two. But the hard-core kool-aid drinkers are few and far between, and have been for a long time.

There's excitement and hope before the season, but this year, and even last year, the flow of kool-aid was paltry.

Also, unless Dirk's spending a LOT of time at diners across Nebraska, he's pulling this "believing the hype too much" from message boards and twitter, and frankly, I haven't seen the level of optimism heading into this season that would warrant a "pump your brakes all of Husker Nation" article like this.

Whatever. He's got to write about something.

• Fire 2

if dirk writes that last september, he gets lambasted as writing another hit piece selling bo, his young team, and the fresh season short.

damned if he does, damned if he doesn't

Youre right.

But does it or does it not fit better last September? More specifically, after the UCLA game?

I rember there being a hell of a lot more confidence in things prior to last season on an overall basis than this year. Even myself wasnt confident in anything more than 4 losses this year prior to the first game.

• Fire 2

if dirk writes that last september, he gets lambasted as writing another hit piece selling bo, his young team, and the fresh season short.

Youre right.

But does it or does it not fit better last September? More specifically, after the UCLA game?

I rember there being a hell of a lot more confidence in things prior to last season on an overall basis than this year. Even myself wasnt confident in anything more than 4 losses this year prior to the first game.

it does fit better. i agree. but it would have been too prophetic and almost nearly summarily dismissed.

Youre right.

it does fit better. i agree. but it would have been too prophetic and almost nearly summarily dismissed.

agreed and agreed.

I guess I disagree with some of the things he says in the article. I don't really like him using guys names like that. I disagree that NU is closer to 50 than to 10. I watch a lot of college football, I love the sport, If I could get away with it I would watch football all day on Saturdays throughout the fall not just the Huskers. There are a lot of teams out their that don't look all that good right now and not really that many that look great.

FSU hasn't looked like they are going to repeat so far this year, but they get a pass.

Alabama struggled with WVa and didn't even beat FAU as bad as we did.

UCLA has struggled 2x to win games this fall.

Clemson gets thumped by UGA and then beats some nobody badly so all of a sudden they are back in the top 25?

S. Carolina gets killed by A&M and then beats E. Carolina by what 10?

I guess my point is I see a lot of unknown right now in the football landscape and a lot of average so far, not just Nebraska

• Fire 2

Dirk made his bed.

About that.

If we are referring to the article post Wisconsin 2011 again, where he took Taylor to task pretty hard, and eventually apologized for it when Bo publicly berated him a week later for it, it may be time to put the long knives away for that. It was three years ago and one article. He's not the only Nebraska beat writer who has some bad moments in his past for that matter either. To say nothing of the fact that he wasn't only bad actor in that little period either.

If it's about the other article he writes on given football weeks that are frequently critical of the goings on in North Stadium, that's at least understandable but the problem here is unless something changes on the field, he's slowly getting proven more and more correct, and the ones that have been chirping that he's a hater and a person "trolling for clicks" (as if its some kind of crime that a writer tries to get people to read what he wrote) are the ones who come away looking foolish.

• Fire 9

I knew I'd get flamed for that. Whatever. Dirk has his fans. In certain situations, I'm one of them. To each their own.

I think Dirk writes great objective pieces. He wrote that great article about Abdullah, Brown, and how they connected despite their conflicting religions. He also wrote a pretty good article about Stafford. It's the subjective pieces that just rub people the wrong way, like the Martinez piece after Wisconsin in 2011.

• Fire 1