Where would you move?

In light of all the crap going on around the world and remembering 9/11. I often think about what would happen if the US would fall into a miserable/horrible place to live because of two or three different groups fighting and basically destroying everything around them.

Let's say either you find yourself in a situation where you feel you need to flee to save your life or the lives of your family, the question that comes to mind often, is....where would you move?

In other words, let's say you become a refugee and need to flee the US because of conditions here, what country would you try to get to to live and become a citizen and try to live happily ever after?

This question first came to my mind maybe about 10-12 years ago when a lot of Bosnian refugees were coming to Des Moines and I got to know a few of them. They were professional, educated people who simply could not live anymore where they were from. They still loved their homeland. But, for their safety or the safety of their families, they had to flee. I knew people who were doctors and lawyers who were working for roofing companies or landscapers because they couldn't use their education here because of licensing...etc. So, they literally gave up everything to live in a safer place.

Could you do that and where would you go?

Depends on the issues. If its an economic thing (say US default on debt) I would go to a place that is as disconnected from the US/Western econ as possible: South Africa, Kenya, Burma, Turkmenistan, that is assuming i had the fore site to cash in my USD into psychical gold, or Swiss Fancs.

If it was more of a decline of freedoms, or us slipping into a police state, I would head to Dominican Republic, Argentina, Israel, or Central America.

I almost moved to the DR 15 years ago, I would look into there, or Central America, once my parents pass on.